Refractometers From E-bay (hong Kong) Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bought a refractometer from E-Bay, and were they any good? I have never owned one and have just realised how much time and stuffing around it takes me to cool a pre boil sample and take the gravity reading and then do the temp conversion.
I though for $30 if these were worth buying? Its not my nature to go "cheap Charlie" especially with my brewing gear but these refractometers are pretty basic things so if they work.......well they work.

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm running a cheap ebay one; but without the gravity scale. I tested it against an expensive brixometer (where I used to work in the sugar industry) and it was very close.

QldKev

I have one and it corresponds pretty well to parallel SG readings

I bought one from ebay with SG & Brix. About $25. Works well. Readings match hydrometer. Line is sharp.

I got one. Initially, I thought they were going to be identical to the more expensive ones, but on recieving it, the construction quality is simply not the same, but it is adequate and does a good job for the money. The main flaw in mine is the thread on the focus adjustor, which is a little crude and loose.

I am a bit annoyed that I got the SG, because I noticed it being off at high gravity, and someone here pointed to the difference between maltose and sucrose. I guess the SG is still good at lower gravities, but if applying a formula to the brix reading is more accurate, then I'd rather just have brix.

I bought one a few weeks back and used it on my last brew day... absolutely loved it. Worked a treat. Highly recommend it over using a hydrometer.

On the quality side, it seems well put together and easy to read. However i've used it only once, so the longevity of it is yet to be determined.

I though for $30 if these were worth buying? It's not my nature to go "cheap Charlie" especially with my brewing gear but these refractometers are pretty basic things so if they work.......well they work.
That looks very similar to mine, which seems to work fine.
The only suggestion I'd have is to find one with the smallest and easist scale to read.
(32Brix = 1.140SG so you may not need it to go that high).

Mine works great, and spot on against the more expensive sponsor-sold version tested using tap water, 1020, 1040 & 1060 samples.

Ive just grabbed one myself, cant wait. Sick of using so much each time I want to take a reading. Will still need to take small tasting samples though :)

Mine works well. Although I rarely use it, I take a hydro sample at yeast pitching time and never bother with pre & post boil gravity readings...

Holy crap. I placed the order confirmation at 1.37pm, then at 1.53pm I got a confirmation that the item had been shipped and a shipping number for traking.
So far so good.

You guys know you can get them with an SG scale as well as Brix?

Pros: Saves you doing the conversion to SG every time you take a reading.

Cons: More shit crammed in on the screen, not recommended for those with shonky vision.

EDIT: See Gormand's post. Mate, it looks quite shorter than others, wonder why that is ?

Hmm not sure why the handle is shorter. But as long as it does the job Im happy. I will make sure I test its calibration with my hydrometer and see how it fairs and post back here... although its over a week away most likely.

Mine is also a cheapy ebay version. It has a light in it. Dont get this version, it lets liquid in thru the small gap around the light globe... pain in the ass to pull apart and clean!

Hydrometer following yeast pitching for me though, I just could not get a good correlation between the refractometer and an accurate FG (when allowing for alcohol effects on the sample) using a number of different software packages, spreadsheets, beersmith, etc.

Thanks fellas, That will do me.
This is the one I just ordered. Looks the same as the others but with free shipping.

http://www.grand-index.com/refractometer/b...wing-rsg-100atc

Have just ordered this one as I'm keen to get some readings pre-boil to get a better understanding of mash extraction and of course trying to hit my pre-boil gravity. Have taken some measurements using the hydro, but hopefully taking a small drop will be a lot easier and quicker than having to take a sample, measure temp, measure SG, convert SG etc and then realise the temp was out a little.

snip... hopefully taking a small drop will be a lot easier and quicker than having to take a sample, measure temp, measure SG, convert SG etc and then realise the temp was out a little.

It certainly is mate. Soooo easy to take readings. I used to forgo it alot when i had to take hydros. So easy now.

So do these things work after fermentation? ie with alcohol in the liquid?

Latest posts

Back