Boiler/mashing Coffe Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine one a few months back been BIAB with it, Yeah the tap ain't special on them but i'm extra careful but it wouldn't take much too replace it with something more sturdy. I bought it too get out of the kitchen save the marriage stuff alot cheaper for me.

They boil well can cut out a bit but with some knowledge you could probably solve the problem. MUST keep the element clean as I found out it strugged with my last batch. I wouldn't pay much more for one myself remember there's no warranty.

Well I bit the bullet and bought one. I've had a bit of experience playing around with the ol' 240V so if need be I can have a prod around (someone call the Darwin Awards... :D), but it seems like it'll be okay, based on ebay feedback, comments here and a response from the seller. Looks like my first extract brew is just around the corner.. :)

I bought one of these, have used it for BIAB All Grains, making another one this weekend.

The good:

• low cost
  • fast boil (20 min to strike temp, 35 to boil)
  • good, rolling boil out of the box, no modification necessary
  • temperature control, set to say 65 while mashing and it will kick in if temp getting low
  • Urn means I can brew on the balcony rather than steaming up the kitchen with a 20 litre pot for hours
  • the tap is ok, just get silicone hose from a homebrew shop and a little pit of the plastic pipe/tube they put inside so it will fit a standard fermenter tap. I use a couple of rounds of teflon thread tape on this and it fits perfectly, the silicone hose in the bottom of a cube and the boiling hot wort goes to NC. Or chill in the bathtub.
And you can brew a "full size" brew in it: I did 28 litres of 1.042 OG beer 2 weekends ago by sparging in a bucket like RdeVjun says and adding a bit of water in the fermenter. Basically put batch size to whatever you want in beersmith to find the OG you will get from a certain amount of grain in a certain amount of water, add hops to desired IBU. As long as not boiling the hops in a massively concentrated wort the IBU will be ok and then just dilute with water until the volume you wanted and the OG will be on target..
(or take a wort sample, cool it down in the fridge. Then get a hydrometer reading and use the dilute calculator in beersmith to see how much water to add to get a certain OG)

The bad: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry526512

• the quality of materials!!! Cheap, tinny feeling to the whole thing. The element got discoulored after a single use. Who would make a steel urn from materials that RUST???? My urn has tiny specks of what looks like surface rust but I have used it several times for water and beer and ended up happy about the whole thing as there is no taste/color effect from the couple of tiny spots looking like rust. (I wash it thoroughly just before use)
  • the size? Everyone keeps telling me it is to small but I must admit I don't agree. Had it been a 40 litre pot, I would have preferred that. But a 30 litre pot is big enough.. Use say 15 litres of water for the mash, that is more than enough according to our favourite friend Palmer. Then sparge with say 5-6 litres (in another smaller pot/bucket in two rounds). Then add a litre or two during the hop boil to add back what you loose, then add another say 4 litres to the fermenter after cooling the wort in a cube in the bathtub with ice-water. So in my book the size is ok, but this will be a bad thing in a lot of people's opinion :)
  • the finish is "rough". I scrubbed quite a bit to get the gruff out of the machined steel parts, maybe this scratched something I shouldn't have and that's why I get rust..
From Palmer I learned that no-sparging has an efficiency of about 60%, that is a good and easy start. Set the efficiency in beersmith to 60% rather than the default 70-75% and it only means you have to add a little extra grain. The result is no need to sparging water, buckets and temperatures. After the first time I started playing with sparging and the last beer I made ended with 67% (after changing the efficiency percent in beersmith until I hit my actual OG).

My conclusion after being really annoyd to begin with?
It's a cheap, fast-boiling urn with temperature control you can brew a full-size brew in.
That's a pretty good starting point, I would say. Low quality or not..

Anyway, enough TO and Coopers English Bitter for tonight, just wanted to say it's cheap, let's me brew outside and works like a charm compared to the hour it takes to boil a 20 litre stock pot of water on the stove top..

Thanks
Bjorn

+ 1 Bjorn, an excellent informative post too BTW. (Says me, doing a non- diluted 16 litre batch tonight as a demo... :blink: Don't worry, there's pics, for posting later. All will become clear... ;) )

And SimonSS, don't be afraid to have a shot at All Grain when you get your urn either, all you'll need once you've got it is a BIAB bag. A tight- *rse (stockpot/ stovetop) howto is in the works, but BribieG's guide is truly excellent and well worth a read with your shiny new urn en route.

That's a good summary by BjornJ. I bought one of these and I have made a few batches using the BIAB method (with a dunk sparge in my 19L stockpot). I'm happy with the urn and agree it is big enough for regular size batches. Just a couple of things to add.

The first time I boiled wort in it I got a small amount of material burnt on the bottom. I bought a 46cm long spatula from Bunnings for $7 which fixed that, although it still isn't quite long enough to keep my fingers away from the heat of the wort.

It wasn't easy to keep a steady boil. With 25L of wort in the urn and the urn set to boil the wort was just about jumping out of the urn and when the thermostat cut out it stopped boiling. I got some kind of regulator from the sparkies at work. The urn plugs into the regulator and the regulator plugs into the powerpoint. It has a dial to regulate the power going to the urn so now the boil is easy to control.

thanks guys,
I found on Sunday the same problem, the urn boils like crazy.

Having a vigorous boil is good:
http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/index.php?...6&Itemid=62
"A solid rolling boil is essential in the brewing of good beer. It is energy intensive and potentially dangerous but a brewer skimps on boil time or intensity at his/her own peril."

But this urn does boil maybe a bit too much as it is only controlled ON/OFF, no regulation of low/high heat.
My solution is to boil vigorously for a while, playing with the temperature controller of the urn until getting it right about 105 degrees C on the dial. This gives a good rolling boil that cuts out every now and then, the urn keeps boiling for a little while after the power is cut then stops bubbling for 10-30 seconds before having another violent boiling sequence.

This way I could leave it to it's boiling, knowing it will go from violent boil to simmer to violent boil the reminder of the boil time without having to watch it constantly.

The regulator solution sounds much more clever though!
You basically made your own stove top regulator, brilliant.
Hmm, where can I get one of those :D

thanks
Bjorn

gone brewing

Would it be possible to post some more info on the "regulator" the sparkies at work got you. Is it a simmerstat ??

Any info appreciated.

cheers - richard.

G'day Richard

I have no idea what a simmerstat is. What I have wasn't bought, it was made in house and was not used anymore.

I asked for more detail and they told me it is a phase fired controller. It reduces the average voltage by chopping off some part of the sine wave each time it passes through zero volts. How much is chopped off is determined by the setting of the potentiometer. This works fine on a resistive load like the element in an urn.

I hope that means more to you than it did to me.

Cheers
Dick
:icon_chickcheers:

I decided to take the plunge and buy one of these. The seller misquoted me via email when I asked a question about the lid and agreed to honour the lower quote so I ended up with the Urn, lid and postage for $80. Bargain!

I'm yet to do my first batch but have done a couple or test runs with water and with the camping mat/sleeping bag set up. I'm losing about 2.5 degrees over an hour but I think I can better that. A 90 second burst on full heat on the hour mark brings it back up 2.5 or 3 degrees though so I'll do one more dry run to try and improve the and maybe give it a 60 second burst after 45 minutes to bring it back to the ideal temp. As this will be my first AG BIAB can anyone comment on whether this loss is acceptable and whether a quick burst to bring the temp back up is a good idea?

The tap works fine but I did notice that pushing the tap completely over seems to be a bit far and I had some drips and even a small stream coming out of the tap at one stage. However, backing the tap off a bit, i.e. not pushing it all the way across seems to fix the problem. It gets to temperature really quick!

Urn $80
camping mat $15
cube $25
swiss voile $10

TOTAL $130

I'm excited!!!

I used the urn again on Saturday, made an English Mild.

After about 10 minutes of vigorous boiling the wort, something "happened"..
There was a bit of a bang, a bit of smoke came out of the temperature controller dial, and it stopped the violent boil.
It still boils, but more a slow, simmering boil than the bubbling, violent boil it normally does?

I thought it was broken, that I was left with 20+ litres of wort with no way to boil it, but it kept going the entire time and I finished the brew with the simmering boil.

I'll take the bottom plate off to have a look inside, but have some doubts about using this again.

Anyone else have this happen?

thanks
Bjorn

I used the urn again on Saturday, made an English Mild.

After about 10 minutes of vigorous boiling the wort, something "happened"..
There was a bit of a bang, a bit of smoke came out of the temperature controller dial, and it stopped the violent boil.
It still boils, but more a slow, simmering boil than the bubbling, violent boil it normally does?

I thought it was broken, that I was left with 20+ litres of wort with no way to boil it, but it kept going the entire time and I finished the brew with the simmering boil.

I'll take the bottom plate off to have a look inside, but have some doubts about using this again.

Anyone else have this happen?

thanks
Bjorn

Hopefully mine does better than this! Let us know what happens when you look inside.

And ignore my question above about the temp drop and giving a half time burst of heat, I reread the BIAB thread and it answers my questions.

I unscrewed the bottom plate of the urn to have a look at the status.

It is broken for sure.
As the pictures show, the heating element consists of 2 heater coils or something, they are marked 220V/1000W (the inner, small one) and 220V/1800W (the outer, bigger ring).

The bigger heating element is broken, there is something sticking out of it, and there is yellow "stuff" all over the inside of the bottom of the urn.
There's never been any moisture in there, I have been careful about that since it looks a bit "crude", and there are no signs of moisture or streaks in the yellow dusty stuff so no idea what has happened.

I will contact the seller on ebay and see what the warranty situation is,

thanks
Bjorn

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

Exactly the same thing happened to a ring on my stove, it's a curly element but the thick variety not the skinny curly one, and looks like your elements under the urn. I was cooking away and then 'pffttt' and a jet of flame came out of a small hole on the side, exactly like yours. Unfortunately she's a dead one :( - hope the warranty works out.

The seller has already replied to me on e-bay saying to send it back and they will fix it or replace it.
Great service!

Really relieved, as I have grown fond of my cheap urn :lol:

thanks
Bjorn

The seller has already replied to me on e-bay saying to send it back and they will fix it or replace it.
Great service!

thanks
Bjorn

That's good to know.

Great service!

thanks
Bjorn
Yeah I noticed the seller had pretty good service even before I bought the urn. A+ to that ;) Hopefully mine doesn't go the way of yours though!

In any case, I'm still interested in something to control the actual power delivered to the element/s, as discussed above, instead of just the hard on/off which is what the urn itself seemingly implements. Anyone know of anything available on a commercial scale?

(although, is an epic boil like this urn gives actually bad? All the 'brewing info' says "rolling boil", but this is more of a "volcanic eruption" kind of thing :p)

Latest posts

Back