Boiler/mashing Coffe Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used this twice and it seemed to go OK. However as it has no exposed element I didn't bother using a cake stand/colander or something similar to keep the bag off the bottom. When raising the temp for mash out the urn started shuddering. I guess it was because the bag was touching the bottom. Anyway I burned a hole in my bag and I'm not sure if I killed the bigger element. It now has a big white spot on it. It still seems to work but struggles to get a vigorous boil with more than 20L in the urn. But, I removed the bottom and both elements heat up almost instantly so I'm not sure if it's broken or not. In the end it was going to cost me $45 to courier it back to the seller as it was too big for Aust post so I'm going to stick with it. Just a word of warning, don't turn it on with anything touching the bottom.

Hi all,
I got a brand new urn back after sending the one with the broken element back.
Brilliant service, soooo happy.

Used it a couple of weeks ago, burned a big hole in my grain bag.
Played around with a sieve for half an hour burning my fingers to get the grain back out before starting the boil!
Guess the steel grater lid I had on the bottom moved enough to allow the bag to touch the element.

thanks
Bjorn

I have used this twice and it seemed to go OK. However as it has no exposed element I didn't bother using a cake stand/colander or something similar to keep the bag off the bottom. When raising the temp for mash out the urn started shuddering. I guess it was because the bag was touching the bottom. Anyway I burned a hole in my bag and I'm not sure if I killed the bigger element. It now has a big white spot on it. It still seems to work but struggles to get a vigorous boil with more than 20L in the urn. But, I removed the bottom and both elements heat up almost instantly so I'm not sure if it's broken or not. In the end it was going to cost me $45 to courier it back to the seller as it was too big for Aust post so I'm going to stick with it. Just a word of warning, don't turn it on with anything touching the bottom.

were you stirring it at the time?

Used my urn on Saturday brewing DrSMurto's Golden Ale, and it broke again..

This time no bang or anything, it just stopped boiling and only seem to keep the water warm.
After an hour with the lid on it was still on according to the light on the side but only 80+ degrees.

Ended up breaking off the front part of an old kettle and put the element in the wort to help finish the boil.

But now I am without a working urn again, aaarrggh.

urn_broken.jpg

Are others have issues with the heating elements, or is it just bad luck on my side?

thanks
Bjorn

it looks worse than it was!

We did it outside, plugged into one of those powerboards with an internal fuse.
We taped it to the chair so it can not slide any lower into the pot.

The opposite thing happened, actually. The boiling pot lost liquid until the kettle element was a bit exposed, this seemed to be bad for it :D

Bjorn

I just LOVE the dodginess...thats fantastic...its something I would do....and get away with it.

ROCK ON :beerbang:

it looks worse than it was!

We did it outside, plugged into one of those powerboards with an internal fuse.
We taped it to the chair so it can not slide any lower into the pot.

The opposite thing happened, actually. The boiling pot lost liquid until the kettle element was a bit exposed, this seemed to be bad for it :D

Bjorn

Back