Redoak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is commercial brewing about reproducibility year after year or being like a homebrewer and having the public pay for your tinkering??
It depends on your perspective, and the perspective of your potential customer. I would much rather attend a micro where I know the beers are going to differ slightly from batch to batch - whether it is from intentional tinkering or from the inherent vagaries of "hand-crafting" anything - than sit in a pub and drink the same old stuff, mass-produced by chemists. Each to their own, but I'm damn sure that most here would agree.

Cheers,
TSD

TSD, I couldn't agree more with your comments here. I think, in a nutshell, this is precisely why the microbrewing industry in Australia is just farting along without any real enthusiasm (relative to North American for example). I think brewers in Australia are totally confused about what the consumer wants - they are being *told* that consumers wants consistency. I wonder how many people who drink wine also drink beer??? Quite a few I would say. Wine differs considerably from vintage to vintage - which is kind of the point, and is publicised as such. So why would consumers' minds all of a sudden do a 180 degree shift when they drink beer instead of wine? I have always said that if I ever went into a commercial venture in brewing that I would promote the fact there is variation from batch to batch. I would put a "batch number" on the label and let the consumers fight it out as to which one is best. It adds some character to the product and it really promotes the boutique-ness of the enterprise. Personally I think too many micros in Australia are torn between copying the big guys and expressing a bit of originality themselves. My preference is definitely for the latter.

I think brewers in Australia are totally confused about what the consumer wants - they are being *told* that consumers wants consistency.

Personally I think too many micros in Australia are torn between copying the big guys and expressing a bit of originality themselves. My preference is definitely for the latter.

Oooh, nice post. Solid argument

Chatty

QUOTE(/// @ Sep 27 2006, 09:12 PM)

Is commercial brewing about reproducibility year after year or being like a homebrewer and having the public pay for your tinkering??

It depends on your perspective, and the perspective of your potential customer. I would much rather attend a micro where I know the beers are going to differ slightly from batch to batch - whether it is from intentional tinkering or from the inherent vagaries of "hand-crafting" anything - than sit in a pub and drink the same old stuff, mass-produced by chemists. Each to their own, but I'm damn sure that most here would agree.

Cheers,
TSD

Here Here T.D !!!!!!!!! :beerbang:

Hi guys,

Whilst I haven't had the chance to actually visit Red Oak (I'm in WA), I did try the honey ale at the Brewhouse in Brisbane in June, and recently (last week) received my 12 bottles of Honey Ale from Red Oak.

Unfortunately, it hasn't lasted too long (my fiance and I drank all 12 bottles in one sitting! eep!), but it was still as good as I remember it!

I'm hoping to get to Sydney towards the end of the year or sometime at the start of next year, so I'm hoping to check it out !

Regards,

Jason.

Resurrecting a dead thread.

Finally dropped into Redoak last night, as I had been meaning to do so on my last few Sydney trips. I like it. The beers were okay, but I really liked the vibe of the place. The bar staff were knowledgable but not arrogant, there was a good selection of beers on tap, nice surrounds and a decent crowd in attendance.
I was pretty envious of the bloke next to me tucking into a plate of bangers and mash, the gravy smelt amazing!

Tried, in order: Bitter, Organic Pale Ale, American Pale Ale and the IPA.

Sadly I made a rookie's mistake and refreshed myself with mouthwash sometime before setting foot in Redoak, so I'm afraid I can't be too descriptive with my experience - although I have tried several of their beers before (mostly in bottle).

Will go back. Without pre-mouthwashing.

As mentioned earlier in this (old) thread, the 'beergustation' is awesome. Took my dad there for his birthday this year, such great beers and amazing food. The course that you were eating had the beer that you were drinking included in the cooking process.

Chocolate stout tart with a chocolate stout = heaven

For $80 a head its pretty good value. Definitely going back.

Latest posts

Back