Archive's Response To Brews News Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol:

More importantly when will the 'new management' support another competition to have local brewers having their beer on tap?

Good point Brad, probably at some point after our Febrewary ale period i'm guessing, we have so many all-new kegs to tempt you all with in the meantime.

C'mon Matt you need to go back and read the article mate. He says the beer list at Archive is safe, then goes on to say that the others have an interesting selection but spends more time on how good the shitter is at one venue,even the place that only has one tap which was coopers pale gets a better review.

Never mentions tap lists only beer lists. Not very informative .

Cheers

Thanks Brad. Writing chapter and verse about the intricacies of every beer list is guaranteed to only appeal to the good folks of AussieHomeBrewer! As "the veteran of the Brisbane scene" Archive is well enough known nationally by now that I think it's fair to look at how it's evolving rather than spending time introducing it as a venue, while newer venues will be dealt with differently - introduced and highlight notable features - that's just writing style. But I'm not sure that you're right to say The Hideaway (The beer list here is the next step up from a place like Yard Bird) gets a better review than Archive (Archive is still a great space with some really good beers.), or that one sentence about fittings really constitutes "more time on how good the shitter is". But we would all write the same piece very differently.

Apart from big wraps for The Scratch (and again, he highlights the limits of his review - he also loves SA's Wheaty, which is a very different vibe to Archive and gives an insight into his tastes) it's a pretty matter-of-fact, but supportive, look at Brisbane's evolving beer bar scene. He doesn't gush, and he certainly doesn't damn Archive - even with faint praise.

Thanks Brad. Writing chapter and verse about the intricacies of every beer list is guaranteed to only appeal to the good folks of AussieHomeBrewer! As "the veteran of the Brisbane scene" Archive is well enough known nationally by now that I think it's fair to look at how it's evolving rather than spending time introducing it as a venue, while newer venues will be dealt with differently - introduced and highlight notable features - that's just writing style. But I'm not sure that you're right to say The Hideaway (The beer list here is the next step up from a place like Yard Bird) gets a better review than Archive (Archive is still a great space with some really good beers.), or that one sentence about fittings really constitutes "more time on how good the shitter is". But we would all write the same piece very differently.

Apart from big wraps for The Scratch (and again, he highlights the limits of his review - he also loves SA's Wheaty, which is a very different vibe to Archive and gives an insight into his tastes) it's a pretty matter-of-fact, but supportive, look at Brisbane's evolving beer bar scene. He doesn't gush, and he certainly doesn't damn Archive - even with faint praise.
Fair enough points Matt. And yes is a good review into an evolving beer scene in Brissy. Was more the ambiguity between beer list and and tap list that caught my interest and replies. You reffered to the 4 LC beers and kolsch and Hef + cider on tap as being the safe tap list which is OK but yes safe but the article writer only mentions safe beer list which I would interpret as "all their beers available" when read in conjunction with the reviews of the other bars mentioned.

And yes I see the article as a great positve for the brisbane beer scene, was just a bit ambiguous thats all.

Cheers

Hi gerard, we've just had a change in management in Archive, might be worth a shot at re-contacting for pinchgut purposes. Are you bottling yet or still keg only?

Huh? My name's Brett, check your email bonehead.

Actually, don't bother. I won't be going there again.

I'd like to catch up mate, it remains to be seen how popular I am ATM. I shall be good all weekend and see.

Meh, I was just showing the current list.
The Next Door bar is where we all hang out, and the staff will turn up if its not manned (personed?) already.

Reviews are funny things though Winkle. Liver_shank is one of the guys behind the BeerBureau site and even his own site describes Stone & Wood Lager (on in the front bar) as:

"These lads look like they are pumping out a decent commercial beer, but it would be nice if they put down their bongs, put back on their thongs and cranked out a more challenging beer."

Not sure whether he's the author of that particular one, but if not he might like to take that up with his colleague - because an "unchallenging beer" sounds like a great beer that might appear in a 'safe' beer list.

Stone & Wood's #1 Hottest 100 winning beer is described on the site as:

The beer was cloudier than London in summer and the taste was more confusing than fathers day in Hobart. Obviously these hippy brewers had harvested a good crop the week before they came up with this one, because it is OUT THERE man.
I immediately washed my mouth out with the liquid handsoap in the bathroom of the pub, then bit into a urinal cake just to be sure my mouth was cleansed.

I'm pretty sure that no one can say that the ABN review of Archive wasn't as harsh as one of their own's assessment of the beers on their list.

Reviews are funny things though Winkle. Liver_shank is one of the guys behind the BeerBureau site and even his own site describes Stone & Wood Lager (on in the front bar) as:

"These lads look like they are pumping out a decent commercial beer, but it would be nice if they put down their bongs, put back on their thongs and cranked out a more challenging beer."

Not sure whether he's the author of that particular one, but if not he might like to take that up with his colleague - because an "unchallenging beer" sounds like a great beer that might appear in a 'safe' beer list.

Stone & Wood's #1 Hottest 100 winning beer is described on the site as:

The beer was cloudier than London in summer and the taste was more confusing than father's day in Hobart. Obviously these hippy brewers had harvested a good crop the week before they came up with this one, because it is OUT THERE man.
I immediately washed my mouth out with the liquid handsoap in the bathroom of the pub, then bit into a urinal cake just to be sure my mouth was cleansed.

I'm pretty sure that no one can say that the ABN review of Archive wasn't as harsh as one of their own's assessment of the beers on their list.

Hate to point it out, but a review by a bloke that works in a pub doesn't mean that it is the pubs view as you have insinuated matt...
And who wants to taste passion fruit it beer anyway (sorry rick, scotty, brad, Ross and Jamie), you know how I feel about the subject.

...heaps of people apparently Dan...and i still havent had a king brown beer yet fella... :icon_cheers:
For those that didn't realise, it was a personal joke towards the lads at stone and wood....
OBVIOUSLY the beer is good.
I still reckon brad needs to brew an ipa...

Hate to point it out, but a review by a bloke that works in a pub doesn't mean that it is the pubs view as you have insinuated matt...
And who wants to taste passion fruit it beer anyway (sorry rick, scotty, brad, Ross and Jamie), you know how I feel about the subject.

I'd like to know who did the reviews Brownie.

And it wasn't insinuating anything. He reposted Archive's fairly aggressive rebuke here (before he had even checked whether it had even appeared Brews News). It was in 'defence' of something that, at it's very worst, was only mildly positive of the venue. The reason the article is being seen as no more than mildly positive is that the article described their taps as 'safe'. Yet, his own site described some of the same beers in the same terms or worse.

Pointing that out isn't even close to suggesting it was the pub's view. But, I think if his own site criticises some of the same beers that another casual observer only describes as 'safe', his OP might have been a bit over the top. With that response to 'safe', imagine what their response would have been if the Brews News article has said one of their tap beers "offered me about as much flavour as a mouthful of sand". Ouch!

Little Creatures Bright Ale
Completely lack lustre, and offering essentially no nose at all, (except for an almost off-dairy-product kind of aroma), left me pondering what made me want to drink this brew at all. I manned up and proceeded pouring the clay-like looking beer into my mouth which subsequently offered me about as much flavour as a mouthful of sand. I had to stop and couldnt finish.
Although I seek far more in my brews, I am sure there is a reason people drink this Bright Ale I just wish someone could tell me what it is.

...heaps of people apparently Dan...and i still havent had a king brown beer yet fella... :icon_cheers:

And Scotty,

I will be bringing down some samples soon.

My new job means I get to visit you guys and get paid for it...

I will endeavour to have the dirtiest, biggest and stinkiest IPA for you when I come.

I think Aaron's assessment appears to be ok when looked at in context but the response from the Archive is somewhat disappointing. You say "you simply have to ask any of the bartenders" to get access to beers from the back bar but it should be the other way around. The bartender should be making this clear, especially when they know the patron has a keen passion for craft beer. Yes, this means spending a minute or two talking to them but this can make all the difference. I've been to a number of bars where some of the bar staff take the time and know the beers well yet other times the bar staff need directions as to where the tap is. It makes for a very contrasting experience. I don't know if this is what happened here or not, just sharing what I've experienced and what can change opinions quickly.

Attacking and mocking the writer isn't the best way to win back business at all, in fact it leaves a negative feel for how well people may be treated if they go there. Any feedback (positive and negative) should be used as motivators to improve your business. It should be seen as an opportunity to ensure bar staff inform clients that there are 350+ beers available and that the smaller number of beers on tap aren't the only options.

Disclaimer: I've never been to the Archive yet but still intend to make a visit or 10 this year.

Who's was the RyePA...I thought that had an edge over the others.

And Scotty,

I will be bringing down some samples soon.

My new job means I get to visit you guys and get paid for it...

I will endeavour to have the dirtiest, biggest and stinkiest IPA for you when I come.

..no worries mate...bring a bot of that southern tier unearthly with you then... ;)

Who's was the RyePA...I thought that had an edge over the others.
Liam.
But don't tell him that - he's hard enough to put up with as it is. :ph34r:

I agree with Archive. Start Rant !I am sick of no body bloggers who think they are experts smashing an establishment based on nothing. Link If they think they can do a better job go for it. Archive have clearly spent alot of money and time trying to get the right mix to survive in this ever changing Brisbane beer scene. As a beer lover I want to go to a venue and get the beers I want to drink not the beers some blogger thinks I should drink! Rant over.

Jimbo

What a storm in a tea cup. It's a review and far from a bad one.

You say "you simply have to ask any of the bartenders" to get access to beers from the back bar but it should be the other way around. The bartender should be making this clear, especially when they know the patron has a keen passion for craft beer.

Funny - haven't had this happen - have dropped in to get some takeaways when in Brissie on weekends to be told the bottle shop is only open from Tuesdays - so don't bother dropping in any more.

Latest posts

Back