Archive's Response To Brews News Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, your reply will be not be published.

First rule of writing a 'letter-to-the editor' (and I've written hundreds) is it can't be longer than the original article. Yours goes on and on for paragraph after paragraph before finally getting to a few substantive points. If you want the publication to devote a large space in their publication then you going to have to pay for it (its called advertising). You say the "first beers on us" - they would say "the first hundred words are on us". After that you can both pay.

Your reply needed to be pithy, focused, disciplined and written by a gun writer. Perhaps spend some money on a PR agency or freelance journo.

It's up on the response page.

Looks like Feldon is thinking print media.

Looks like Feldon is thinking print media.

I was. Nothing in the OP that said otherwise. I don't read minds.

The points I made still stick. A good example of how not to interact with media. Don't whinge, don't attack the journo. Address the readership - that's what editors care about. Use your response to get morre coverage about your positive points.

The points I made still stick. A good example of how not to interact with media. Don't whinge, don't attack the journo. Address the readership - that's what editors care about. Use your response to get morre coverage about your positive points.

Nothing in the OP suggested it was print media either
http://www.brewsnews.com.au/about-2/
Brews News aims to become Australias best online source of beer news and information.

Brewsnews = online only

You dont read minds. Fair enough. You dont research or double check either. Hows about you re-read the OP champ.

The sore fact of the matter is that WE actively source all our beers, usually from breweries themselves as we are not content enough to sit on our hands waiting for sales reps to approach us with new and exciting offerings.

I've written to Archive twice so far about getting Pinchgut pilsner on, or even perhaps with a meet the brewer session with Gerard Meares. No reply. I'll try The Scratch next.

Nice bar though. Hopefully you are out sourcing Pinchgut to have on at some stage.

Nice bit of grand standing Joey, but we did publish your intemperate comment - as we publish all of our comments because, though you seem to think otherwise, there are many points of view.

The author's suggestion that the tap list at Archive is safer than on his previous visit hardly constitutes an attack, though I can see how you might take offence at Archive is still a great space with some really good beers. The article was clearly an out-of-towners view of the scene and a comparison to his previous visits. He openly acknowledges he didn't see the back bar and the many comments of support for Archive - that we also published - offered a very healthy alternative argument.

As to the point of his article, that you seem to have most strongly reacted to, the tap list - do you seriously suggest that an almost permanent list of four Little Creatures beers, a cider, a Kolsch and a Hefeweizen - no matter how good these are, is as ambitious a tap list as Archive has boasted in the past? If you seriously think it is, then with respect I disagree as do many others. If you don't think it is, then "a safer list' is a fair way to describe it. Either way, the author didn't run down the venue, he merely stated that opinion. I'd suggest that maybe you don't take yourself quite so seriously.

Matt Kirkegaard
Australian Brews News

This is the sort of response that should have been made.

Your article 'Brisbane's grand tour of beer' made some interesting observations on Brisbane's evolving craft beer scene. Here at Archive we have built up a regular patronage - people who know good beer and appreciate it. They are a rich source of inspiration to us and their views influence the stable of great beers we offer. Many of them may seem to be "mainstream" but that is more a reflection of the maturity of Brisbane craft beer scene that it is of any lack of innovation on our part. For example our upcoming Fe-brew-ary events will showcase craft beers never before seen in Queensland, and there is also our Armakeggon, Beer Academies and our regular craft beer festivals and tap blackouts. (check out www.archivebeerboutique.com for details).

Edit: typos

After a number of visits over a couple of years, Archive seems to be making a move towards a safer beer list. The bar and bottle shop next-door that is an extension of the existing bar was not open at the time of my most recent visit so there may be something more interesting in there.

So the writer has been many times, with the recent occasion the next door not open. (probably a Monday when the doors are closed, but as pointed out, just ask the staff and they'll help out), but they go on to refuse to give the reader any info not related to their most recent visit? Strange

Archive seems to be making a move towards a safer beer list. Archive is still a great space with some really good beers. The list just seems to be coming back towards the mainstream from what it was in the past. While this may be a good thing for getting more punters in, it is disappointing for the beer lover looking for something a bit different. Its a good place to go and drink for some good quality beers but not the place you would go to discover new and interesting things. A great place to spend the night with some good pale ales and some mates." Aaron Brews News...

Again, the bar is setup first and foremost to be a place that highlights Australia's best beers. If the recent Hottest 100 Poll is to believed then the best beers are often on show, on tap, with just about all of them available in the fridge in bottles or out the back in the bottle shop.

Poorly constructed article really. Imagine going into a regular pub and only reviewing the gaming lounge, because they never bothered to venture into the rest of the establishment whilst writing a review, even though they'd been there on many occasions, then complaining that there were too many pokies.

Nice bit of grand standing Joey, but we did publish your intemperate comment - as we publish all of our comments because, though you seem to think otherwise, there are many points of view.

The author's suggestion that the tap list at Archive is safer than on his previous visit hardly constitutes an attack, though I can see how you might take offence at Archive is still a great space with some really good beers. The article was clearly an out-of-towners view of the scene and a comparison to his previous visits. He openly acknowledges he didn't see the back bar and the many comments of support for Archive - that we also published - offered a very healthy alternative argument.

As to the point of his article, that you seem to have most strongly reacted to, the tap list - do you seriously suggest that an almost permanent list of four Little Creatures beers, a cider, a Kolsch and a Hefeweizen - no matter how good these are, is as ambitious a tap list as Archive has boasted in the past? If you seriously think it is, then with respect I disagree as do many others. If you don't think it is, then "a safer list' is a fair way to describe it. Either way, the author didn't run down the venue, he merely stated that opinion. I'd suggest that maybe you don't take yourself quite so seriously.

Matt Kirkegaard
Australian Brews News

I dunno Matt but this tap list is pretty good-

ON TAP NEXT DOOR
MURRAYS WHALE ALE
BRIDGE ROAD INDIA SAISON
MOUNTAIN GOAT HIGHTAIL ALE
STONE&WOOD PACIFIC ALE
MOO BREW SAISON DeMOO
WHITE RABBIT DARK ALE

And its the only place I know of in Brisbane that offers cigar/beer matching and has Billy B's Apples beers to go.

Speaking of Dan - it'll be interesting to see if he gets into this retailer for his sarcastic response to an unfavourable review...

Don't see a great deal of sarcasm there, just facts (wrapped in a certain relation of mines' humor).
I'm assuming that it was also authorised by management.
But fair call Bum...

I've written to Archive twice so far about getting Pinchgut pilsner on, or even perhaps with a meet the brewer session with Gerard Meares. No reply. I'll try The Scratch next.

Nice bar though. Hopefully you are out sourcing Pinchgut to have on at some stage.

Hi gerard, we've just had a change in management in Archive, might be worth a shot at re-contacting for pinchgut purposes. Are you bottling yet or still keg only?

The author's suggestion that the tap list at Archive is safer than on his previous visit hardly constitutes an attack, though I can see how you might take offence at "Archive is still a great space with some really good beers". The article was clearly an out-of-towner's view of the scene and a comparison to his previous visits. He openly acknowledges he didn't see the back bar and the many comments of support for Archive - that we also published - offered a very healthy alternative argument.

Matt Kirkegaard
Australian Brews News
C'mon Matt you need to go back and read the article mate. He says the beer list at Archive is safe, then goes on to say that the others have an interesting selection but spends more time on how good the shitter is at one venue,even the place that only has one tap which was coopers pale gets a better review.

Never mentions tap lists only beer lists. Not very informative .

Cheers

So the writer has been many times, with the recent occasion the next door not open. (probably a Monday when the doors are closed, but as pointed out, just ask the staff and they'll help out), but they go on to refuse to give the reader any info not related to their most recent visit? Strange

Again, the bar is setup first and foremost to be a place that highlights Australia's best beers. If the recent Hottest 100 Poll is to believed then the best beers are often on show, on tap, with just about all of them available in the fridge in bottles or out the back in the bottle shop.

Poorly constructed article really. Imagine going into a regular pub and only reviewing the gaming lounge, because they never bothered to venture into the rest of the establishment whilst writing a review, even though they'd been there on many occasions, then complaining that there were too many pokies.

Cheers Argon,

Most reviews are based on the experience that is encountered at the time of the review. Restaurant reviewers don't go back night after night to sample every dish on the menu to formulate their review. The author clearly stated the limits of his observations, in what was a generally positive review, and the limitations were well discussed by the many contrary comments below it. Taken in it total provides a very balanced summary of the venue. Nothing on the site is set up to be absolute, which is why we take as a mantra "beer is a conversation". The article was an observation, as were the many comments that followed it. Taken together they provide a useful insight into the venue.

There seems to be a view that this was a damning article on Archive...but it was included in an article on Brisbane's best beer bars. Pretty funny way to run a venue down.

Matt Kirkegaard
Australian Brews News

Not my words sir, just reposting the response of what management considered appropriate. Nothing personal on my end, i could care less what people blog about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I dunno Matt but this tap list is pretty good-

And its the only place I know of in Brisbane that offers cigar/beer matching and has Billy B's Apples beers to go.

Hey Winkle, haven't seen you for a while. Thought you might come out to see Ian next week.

I'm not sure where 'safe' = the OP's "fairly poor review" or any sort of negative view about the quality of the beers or the selection. As for the tap list that you highlighted, it wasn't available to the author when he reviewed it as he made abundantly clear in the article and was more than abundantly refuted in the comments that we deliberately keep as part of the post for that very reason (though if anyone will see them now given they come at the end of a long, antagonistic 'defence' remains to be seen).

I'm still not sure where saying "Archive is still a great space with some really good beers." in an article listing Brisbane best beer bars has created the view that they have been somehow slandered.

Hey Winkle, haven't seen you for a while. Thought you might come out to see Ian next week.
(snip)

I'd like to catch up mate, it remains to be seen how popular I am ATM. I shall be good all weekend and see.

Meh, I was just showing the current list.
The Next Door bar is where we all hang out, and the staff will turn up if its not manned (personed?) already.

Latest posts

Back