Recommend me some scales...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
So, getting over using the kitchen scales which I'm sure aren't that accurate..

Anyone got a scale recommendation. Need some Xmas present suggestions for the wife :)

Mostly for hops and water additions,though if it covered a range big enough to also measure some grain that could be handy(currently measure grain out in 1kg lots) .

Thanks for any tips

timmi9191 said:
This is very one I got a few months ago. I was a bit worried when I unpacked, as it looks and feels like the $13 price tag, but it's working fine.
I use it for grains, my base malt usually doesn't go over 6kg, and it's been good for hops measurements too.

Got myself a heat/vac sealer and a heap of small bags too so when I first open a pack of hops I divy up the remainders into individual bags weighed out in 10g and 5g lots. Ready to roll.
Slowly getting organised.

For grain keep it simple. A cheap mechanical retro scale, the sort with a rotary dial, works perfectly well. My cheap K-Mart Homemaker (not a brand I'd recommend for most things) scale is six years old, weighs grain up to 5kg and measures in 20g increments. Checks against known weights show it's accurate across its range to within a few grammes.

For hops and brewing salts avoid K-Mart scales. Above digital suggestions look good.

Never occurred to me to weigh my water. Probably a bit more accurate than eyeing up the level against the Grainfather indents.

welly2 said:
Never occurred to me to weigh my water. Probably a bit more accurate than eyeing up the level against the Grainfather indents.
As long as you're hitting your numbers, I don't think it really matters!

I've been looking at the big scales for weeks now and they were always $56 - $64 depending on the vendor. You just got yourself a very sweet bargain indeed and (thanks to you) so have I!

Yeah cool thanks.

It was just odd as I tried for the same big scales as yours. Will try again on the computer.

Thanks mate

Nullnvoid said:
Yeah cool thanks.

It was just odd as I tried for the same big scales as yours. Will try again on the computer.

Thanks mate
they are $29.50, so dont pass the $30min on their own

Latest posts

Back