RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<br />although i cant taste any galaxy, thats not to say there isnt any in there, but i find galaxy to be a very dominant hop and it would probably overpower the other hops at that rate,<br /><br />i would probably try less galaxy,<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yeah maybe... but i think 5 ibu is not heaps. Equals about 15g at 5 mins. So shouldn't dominate amongst the other 280g of hops chucked into a single batch... not sure about the aroma steep hops probably delete them and just dry hop

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: LCPA Clone
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 19.00 L
Boil Size: 25.05 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
1.00 kg Munich I (7.6 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5.00 %

21.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
24.80 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
15.70 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
16.30 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
38.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

28.50 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
28.50 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops -
28.50 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -

28.50 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
28.50 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
28.50 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Polyclar (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1.00 tsp Salt (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Hey mate welcome.

As you can see here it seems as though this is a photo from the brewery. I didn't take it, can't remember who did though.

If you want to do a smaller batch of this just follow NickJD's guide, something like "Moving to AG for under Thirty Bucks" Not sure if that's the exact thread title but i'm sure you'll be able to search and find it. Scaling it down for a half batch is pretty easy, just use the proportions I outlined earlier. For a clone use Munich I. Munich II will be too dark as a clone. Comes out about 5.5 SRM = reasonably light

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich II (Munich I for a lighter batch)
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 20IBU
Chinook (60 min) 10 IBU
Cascade (20 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (20 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (10 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (10 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (5 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
45IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0 min)
1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

Edit; Probably should edit the recipedb, but it's a PITA

I ended up doing this as my first BIAB. Everything went pretty well. I only did a half batch. I got 12L of 1050 into the fermenter, so if it gets down to around 1012 i'll be pretty happy. Used US05. After reading NickJD's guide i thought i'd give it a go with this recipe. Also downloaded the trial version of beersmith, so that made everything alot easier. Smelt beautiful in the kitchen when it was being cooked up. Fermenting now and i'm really looking forward to tasting in a few weeks.

I ended up doing this as my first BIAB. Everything went pretty well. I only did a half batch. I got 12L of 1050 into the fermenter, so if it gets down to around 1012 i'll be pretty happy. Used US05. After reading NickJD's guide i thought i'd give it a go with this recipe. Also downloaded the trial version of beersmith, so that made everything alot easier. Smelt beautiful in the kitchen when it was being cooked up. Fermenting now and i'm really looking forward to tasting in a few weeks.

Good stuff mate hope you enjoy it. After the recent revelation of seeing that LC add Galaxy to the Pale i reckon it's getting a bit too much. I reckon the recipe that you went for would be the pick of the bunch for me. Hope the fermenting works out well. Let us know how it turns out... i'm due to do another one of these soon.

Good stuff mate hope you enjoy it. After the recent revelation of seeing that LC add Galaxy to the Pale i reckon it's getting a bit too much. I reckon the recipe that you went for would be the pick of the bunch for me. Hope the fermenting works out well. Let us know how it turns out... i'm due to do another one of these soon.

Thanks Argon will let you know how it tastes. I really enjoyed doing an all grain. I won't be doing any kits any more. You never really know how easy all grain is until you give it a go. Anyone who wants to give AG a go should just dove in and do it. Sure it takes a bit more time, but the process is really enjoyable.

There seemed alot of hops in this boil, i had a lot of stuff floating around in there. I think the addition of more galaxy would be heaps. Smelt great and the sample i took before pouring into the fermenter tasted nice and sweet and had a great aroma.
Here's hoping it turns out well.

Last night found 2 bottles of this that i'd done in about December last year. I really wish i had the patience to letall my brews sit this long... fantastic... somehow better than the fresher ones. The bitterness was much smoother and i think the whole think was just a whole lot more balanced.

Im interested in trying your recipe, but im going to try keep it simple and relatively simple as its my first AG, and to save on hops, other wise its about $25 of hops! haha.
Only thing is, are you able to give me a hand with converting this to a 23L batch or whatever? Im very new to this and can't figure out how. If you have this on beersmith could you send me the file?
Thanks mate. B)

P.s. when i added up the IBUs i got 60 :p

Yeah... i've been questioning the EKG..., if can't taste it, why use it?

Anyway here is where i'm currently at with this one. Doing double batches so that's why i've done it in percentages.

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich II (Munich I for a lighter batch)
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 20IBU
Chinook (60 min) 10 IBU
Cascade (20 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (20 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (10 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (10 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (5 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
45IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0 min)
1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

Im interested in trying your recipe, but im going to try keep it simple and relatively simple as its my first AG, and to save on hops, other wise its about $25 of hops! haha.
Only thing is, are you able to give me a hand with converting this to a 23L batch or whatever? Im very new to this and can't figure out how. If you have this on beersmith could you send me the file?
Thanks mate. B)

You can input the recipe to beersmith, then above the recipe view there is a scale button, it's just a matter of changing the batch size from 19 to 23 in the scale window.

Thanks mate. B)

Mate on the iPhone right now... When I get to the beersmith pc I'll send you the file. That 's the good thing about writing recipes stating ibu and percentages... It's easily scalable to your system and ingredients.

I get your point about the amount of hops... Not cheap, but still a while lot cheaper than buying 23L of LCPA!!! And it'll be alot fresher IMHO

Here you go... scaled for a 23L batch based on the AAs i have for my hops. Check your hops against these values and adjust as necessary. Also set the efficiency to 75%.

How will you be chilling?? No Chill or otherwise?? I no chill and always adjust my hop additions 15mins later than in the recipe. ie 60mins = 45mins and so on. With this one i do a 10 min French press and a 5 min French press into fermenter when pitching yeast. Comes out beautiful.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: LFPA 23L Batch
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.62 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.24 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
1.21 kg Munich I (7.6 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.30 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
8.50 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
39.80 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
36.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
36.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
14.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
7.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
23.50 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
11.80 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
21.40 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
42.50 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.05 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.78 L of water at 71.9 C 65.6 C

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will you be chilling?? No Chill or otherwise?? I no chill and always adjust my hop additions 15mins later than in the recipe. ie 60mins = 45mins and so on. With this one i do a 10 min French press and a 5 min French press into fermenter when pitching yeast. Comes out beautiful.
Is no-chill just leaving it for 24hrs? Because that's my plan. So i guess ill be delaying by 15min, but what happenes when you get to get 5min additions and stuff?
I have a french press, just wondering how you would go about using it?
Thanks for the conversion.

Is no-chill just leaving it for 24hrs? Because that's my plan. So i guess ill be delaying by 15min, but what happenes when you get to get 5min additions and stuff?
I have a french press, just wondering how you would go about using it?
Thanks for the conversion.

I have done it in the past where i've just left the fermenter long enough till it cooled to pitching temps, but not best practice as it allows plenty of time for infections to set in. You can do it like this, many, many people do this and have never had a problem... just an increased risk is all.

No chill is when you transfer the hot wort after boiling into a plastic (HDPE) jerry can right to the brim, squeeze out any air and seal it up. The heat from the wort will sanitize the container well enough to kill of any nasties. You can then pour this into the fermenter next day or whenever... i've got a NC Cube that's 6 moths old and no problems. Search No Chill for more info.

Essentially if you don't chill rapidly... ie with an immersion chiller, plate chiller or similar, you'll lose alot of the big hop flavour and aroma you'll get from those really late hops. You can keep the recipe the same and it'll still come out really nice. but if you want a really big hit of late hops... go for the french press

So assuming you get over to bunnings and buy yourself a 20L HDPE jerry container (which actually fits 23L) and a bit of tubing to transfer from your kettle, and you use the no chill method, the recipe should be adjusted to look something like this.

4.24 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
1.21 kg Munich I (7.6 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.30 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5.00 %

8.50 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
39.80 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (45 min) Hops 20.0 IBU

14.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
7.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

23.50 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min french press) Hops 5.0 IBU
11.80 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (10 min french press) Hops 5.0 IBU
21.40 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (5 min french press) Hops 5.0 IBU
42.50 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (5 min french press) Hops 5.0 IBU

36.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
36.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

add the 10 min addition of hops to 1L french press (coffee plunger), then add about 600ml of boiling water. Wait 10 mins. press and pour this hop tea into the fermenter
then...
add the 5 min addition of hops to 1L french press (coffee plunger), then add about 600ml of boiling water. Wait 5 mins. press and pour this hop tea into the fermenter

do all this just after you've poured your wort from the NC Cube into the fermenter and add the 2 hop teas along with it.

Make sure you're pitching temp is all good... then chuck in your yeast.
Seal up your fermenter and you're away.

Good luck with it mate... would love to know how it turns out

thats a great idea! I'll definetly french press after cooling. What do you do with the 5min and 10min hops after u press them? bin?
Also, in what areas can i cut down the hops and not loose too much flavour? as thats about $30 of hops for me, ontop of the $20 for malt, do these prices sound right to you?

Also, is cara-pils similar/same as caramalt?

thats a great idea! I'll definetly french press after cooling. What do you do with the 5min and 10min hops after u press them? bin?
Also, in what areas can i cut down the hops and not loose too much flavour? as thats about $30 of hops for me, ontop of the $20 for malt, do these prices sound right to you?

Also, is cara-pils similar/same as caramalt?

If you want to save a bit. Ditch the east kent addition altogether... there is debate as to if this adds anything to the flavour profile anyway. I get all my hops from craftbrewers who sell in 90g packs. So i often adjust recipes to use divisibles or multiples of 90.

Keeping the grain the same and keeping the hops to 2 packs of 90g i'd go like this for the hops schedule. I've updated the AA as per Craftbrewer's latest batch using flowers for cascade and pellets for chinook. Notice no EKG

26.80 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (45 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
12.40 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
7.30 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

12.20 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (French Press 10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
20.50 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (French Press 10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
37.50 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (French Press 5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
22.30 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (French Press 5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

19.60 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
21.40 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Same 60 IBU Total using 180g Hops from Craftbrewers = $18.40
little less dry hop but not the end of the world still have a heap of flavour and a heap of aroma... might even do this myself shorlty... seems reasonably economical for such a big flavoured beer. :icon_cheers:

I bin my French press hops.. but some others BribieG especially has been doing experiments using the spent french press hops for bittering hops on the next batch. Just freezes them for later use. use the AHB Google search function for "French press" and you should com up with something.

Nah carapils is not caramalt... carapils balances body and flavor without adding color or sweetness. A lighter crystal type malt, the Dextrines add body, mouth-feel.

Do you also get your Malt from Craftbrewer? How much do they charge for delivery?

I live near Greensborough Home Brew so im not sure whats cheaper. But Craftbrewer they are doing US-05 for 3.30 a packet haha

Do you also get your Malt from Craftbrewer? How much do they charge for delivery?

Obviously where you are and what you get makes a difference... either contact the guys over there and they'll let you know, or punch it in on the online shipping cart to find out.

I always pick up mine by hand cause i'm local... even more local now :)

My LHBS doesn't have Barrett Burston (according to their website), will it matter what i use for the base malt? can i sub joe white tradition ale in instead?

My LHBS doesn't have Barrett Burston (according to their website), will it matter what i use for the base malt? can i sub joe white tradition ale in instead?

Craftbrewer's don't stock JW... ergo i don't use it.. however i've heard good things.. should be fine

hey argon im back with another question!
Instead of 'hop teaing' the 15-0min hops, can i do a mini 2L boil with a small rolling boil and just add that?

hey argon im back with another question!
Instead of 'hop teaing' the 15-0min hops, can i do a mini 2L boil with a small rolling boil and just add that?
Yeah don't see why not... That is essentially a hop tea anyway... Without the French press. I'd strain out the spent hops though. Through a sieve or piece of swiss voile should be fine.

Back