RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score

Little Fella's Pale Ale

Ale - American Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 29 Votes

Brewer's Notes

In Beersmith recipe comes out as OG 1.053 FG 1.013 IBU 47.9 EBC 12.0 5.21%ABV
0 min additions are dry hopped

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg BB Ale Malt
1.1 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.3 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.3 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 60mins)
25 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)
25 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 5mins)
20 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)
20 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 0mins)
20 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 20mins)
15 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)
15 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 10mins)
10 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 20mins)
5 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.059 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 62.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.72%
  • Colour 12 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Hi,

Did you get your grain cracked for this or did you mill to a flour?

Also its hard to get BB malt here and i have ready supply of JW, would JW pale malt and wheat malt be a suitable substitute?

Cheers

interesting recipe never thought about bittering with goldings, what are they like to bitter with?

post-8177-1243091309_thumb.jpg

going by the board was thinking of changing the recipe to

1.5kg light LME
1.5kg amber LME
1kg wheat DME
25g East Kent Goldings 60min
25g Chinook 30min
50g Cascade flowers 15min
US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

This is the photo I was going from when putting together the recipe. (looks like you have bittered with EKG before :icon_cheers: )

I don't really get any EKG from LCPA so thought that if it's included it's early in the boil and reasonably overpowered by the American hops. I have this tasted by a few other brewers and they reckon the flavour and aroma is pretty damn close. I think the colour is a bit darker than the original, which i've recently tried to tweak out, but no there yet.

@ m00t... As for the grain bill, the sub of BB for JW would be fine... i think i did a version once using JW and it was just as good... IIRC maybe a little paler. Grain is milled as per usual straight from Craftbrewer... no special treatment. Give it a try... very easy to drink... all those hops look a little scary in the hop sock, but i reckon it comes out pretty well balanced.

Lol i changed the recipe. Before i brewed it like another 5 times and another 5 more times since brewing it again i bitter with the chinook and dont even add ekg at all now just loads of cascade

Lol i changed the recipe. Before i brewed it like another 5 times and another 5 more times since brewing it again i bitter with the chinook and dont even add ekg at all now just loads of cascade

Yeah... i've been questioning the EKG..., if can't taste it, why use it?

Anyway here is where i'm currently at with this one. Doing double batches so that's why i've done it in percentages.

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich II (Munich I for a lighter batch)
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 20IBU
Chinook (60 min) 10 IBU
Cascade (20 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (20 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (10 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (10 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (5 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
45IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0 min)
1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

That looks pretty good actually let me know how it goes, i will have to throw one down i think

Hey lads. Just joined up been reading a bit here for a while.
Can anyone comment about this recipe? I love little creatures pale ale and want to make a clone. Is that really a photo from the brewery?

I'm doing partial extract at the moment and want to do a small batch of this. Has anyone tried doing it on the kitchen stovetop?

Why would LC use EKG for bittering? Wouldn't make sense at all surely? They have Chinook which is much higher AA.

If that is a LC blackboard I would be thinking it'd have to be a really small amount of EKG as a later addition.

Why would LC use EKG for bittering? Wouldn't make sense at all surely? They have Chinook which is much higher AA.

If that is a LC blackboard I would be thinking it'd have to be a really small amount of EKG as a later addition.

Its been a very well known 'rumor' for years that supposedly its EKG for bittering.

That's kinda what I thought... the commercial realities don't really make sense... surely that's exactly why they use Chinook - for the bittering. The thread i pulled that photo from mentions that ekg is used for bittering, coming from alot more experienced brewers than me. But as a I said earlier in here, I can't really detect any and would prefer not to use it, just to keep the cost of hops down for a single batch. i like to put my recipes together now so i don't have any wastage ie 90g lots. Or at least use packets of hops in multiple brews.

Its been a very well known 'rumor' for years that supposedly its EKG for bittering.

Understood. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That is unless there's something about EKG they really liked for bittering to the point they'd pay that much more for it. Surely they'd need triple the amount of EKG compared to some work horse bittering hop, and even at least twice as much as Chinook.

Hey lads. Just joined up been reading a bit here for a while.
Can anyone comment about this recipe? I love little creatures pale ale and want to make a clone. Is that really a photo from the brewery?

I'm doing partial extract at the moment and want to do a small batch of this. Has anyone tried doing it on the kitchen stovetop?

Hey mate welcome.

As you can see here it seems as though this is a photo from the brewery. I didn't take it, can't remember who did though.

If you want to do a smaller batch of this just follow NickJD's guide, something like "Moving to AG for under Thirty Bucks" Not sure if that's the exact thread title but i'm sure you'll be able to search and find it. Scaling it down for a half batch is pretty easy, just use the proportions I outlined earlier. For a clone use Munich I. Munich II will be too dark as a clone. Comes out about 5.5 SRM = reasonably light

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich II (Munich I for a lighter batch)
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 20IBU
Chinook (60 min) 10 IBU
Cascade (20 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (20 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (10 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (10 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (5 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
45IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0 min)
1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

Edit; Probably should edit the recipedb, but it's a PITA

Thanks argon. Probably a stupid question, but do I just halve everything if Im going to make a half batch? I remember reading something about hop utilization and Im not sure if halving will make a difference. To be honest Im not really sure what that is, but anyway Ill give it a go. As my first ag I was probably going to do this little creatures pale ale or some kind of james squires golden ale. Theyre probably my 2 favourite beers.

I wondered about the reasoning as well when I took this photo in October 2009 while on holiday. I know the Chinook bittering can be a little rough but surely a cheaper bittering hop with a smooth character could be used. :eek:

LCpale.JPG

I wondered about the reasoning as well when I took this photo in October 2009 while on holiday. I know the Chinook bittering can be a little rough but surely a cheaper bittering hop with a smooth character could be used. :eek:

GALAXY... WOW!!! That's the first time I've ever heard of that being added in the LCPA!! Good break down of the hop additions though. Maybe it's the sub for the Chinook (Tas) they mentioned on the first board

Maybe it's more like this:
60min Cascade and EKG to 15 IBU

Cascade (10 min) 10 IBU
Chinook (10 min) 10 IBU
Galaxy (10 min) 10 IBU

Cascade Hopback (seen a photo of 'em pooring whole US cascade into the hop back)
Chinook Hopback
Galaxy Hopback

45IBU

Wow that's certainly interesting.

I think if someone made a thread here asking for recipe feedback and had Cascade and EKG for bittering people would laugh.

Linky

As mentioned by Jayse, the rumour about EKG bittering has been there for years. LC have never been overly concerned with the cost of the ingredients. If you look at the hoops they've jumped thru in the past to get the Cascade Flowers over here.
They've been using Galaxy for a little while now, especially when the hop shortage took hold, you could really taste the Galaxy, though it's obviously mixed in with the other late hops as well. Lately it doesn't show thru as much, but then they're also using a fair bit of Tassie grown cascade as well now.

Argon - I'd personally be aiming for more bitterness up front, unless you're sculling it down pretyy quick. I find late hops dissappear very quickly and it's usually better to have more bitterness at the 60min mark, that doesn't seem to fade as fast.

Linky

Argon - I'd personally be aiming for more bitterness up front, unless you're sculling it down pretyy quick. I find late hops dissappear very quickly and it's usually better to have more bitterness at the 60min mark, that doesn't seem to fade as fast.

Gonna have to put aside some galaxy I just bought for the next batch of this... Ok how a bout this...
I'm happy with the grain bill i think it works well. Probably not cloned but I reckon it'd be very nice

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich I
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 15 IBU
Cascade (60 min) 15 IBU

Cascade (5min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
Galaxy (5 min) 5 IBU

45 IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0min) Aroma steep
1.5g/L Chinook (0min) Aroma steep
1.5g/L Galaxy (0min) Aroma steep

1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops
1.5g/L Chinook Dry Hops
1.5g/L Galaxy Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

Gonna have to put aside some galaxy I just bought for the next batch of this... Ok how a bout this...
I'm happy with the grain bill i think it works well. Probably not cloned but I reckon it'd be very nice

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich I
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 15 IBU
Cascade (60 min) 15 IBU

Cascade (5min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
Galaxy (5 min) 5 IBU

45 IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0min) Aroma steep
1.5g/L Chinook (0min) Aroma steep
1.5g/L Galaxy (0min) Aroma steep

1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops
1.5g/L Chinook Dry Hops
1.5g/L Galaxy Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

although i cant taste any galaxy, thats not to say there isnt any in there, but i find galaxy to be a very dominant hop and it would probably overpower the other hops at that rate,

i would probably try less galaxy,

Latest posts

Back