RecipeDB - Guiness Draught Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampy

Reaction score

Guiness Draught Clone

Stout - Irish Dry Stout
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

This is a recipe I have found and tweaked a bit.

60 min mash @ 67 deg
60 min boil

To get the sourness of Guiness. 1 Week before brewing put 2 cans of Guiness in a bowl and sit it on the bench for 4-7 days to get sour. Freeze until brew day, On brew day remove and thaw. Chuck it in the boil at 15mins.

Very close to the real thing. Quite tasty.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt
1 kg Flaked Barley
0.5 kg JWM Roast Barley
0.2 kg JWM Dark Crystal

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
75 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

11 ml Danstar - Nottingham
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.064 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.016 (calc)
  • Bitterness 43.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.25%
  • Colour 96 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

dude, the ABV of guinness is 4.0, not that i give a shit

I take it that the Galaxy (high diastatic) is there to nuke the kilo of flaked barley? I usually put 500 of flaked in an Irish style Stout. Amber malt is also nice rather than straight crystal as it gives "biscuit" rather than caramel. Sounds like a good headbanger nonetheless :)

To get the sourness of Guiness. 1 Week before brewing put 2 cans of Guiness in a bowl and sit it on the bench for 4 days to get sour. Freeze until brew day, On brew day remove and thaw. Chuck it in the boil at 15mins
What does this achieve? If you're trying to culture wild yeast then they're dying in the boil. Am I missing something, what is in the cans that will develop on your bench over a few days to add sourness?

In 'Clone Brews' they suggest 85 grams of Acid Malt to give you sourness in their Guinness clone

You wouldn't want whatever soured your left out beer to end up in your main ferment, but I agree, is 4 days enough for it to sour? I'm sure I've never drank stale 4 day old beer before to find out.

dude, the ABV of guinness is 4.0, not that i give a shit
Yeah i know the ABV is a tad too high but o-well

I take it that the Galaxy (high diastatic) is there to nuke the kilo of flaked barley? I usually put 500 of flaked in an Irish style Stout. Amber malt is also nice rather than straight crystal as it gives "biscuit" rather than caramel. Sounds like a good headbanger nonetheless :)

To be honest bribie I used the galaxy because I have about 20kg of it in the shed, but it should help break down some of the starches in the kg of barley. I will try the Amber malt next timeI brew it I think.

What does this achieve? If you're trying to culture wild yeast then they're dying in the boil. Am I missing something, what is in the cans that will develop on your bench over a few days to add sourness?

I am not trying to culture any wild yeasts, I am just trying to add that sour twang that GD has. This part of the recipe is some thing I found while looking through other clone recipes. This is just insted of the acid malt.

You wouldn't want whatever soured your left out beer to end up in your main ferment, but I agree, is 4 days enough for it to sour? I'm sure I've never drank stale 4 day old beer before to find out.

I didnt taste it so I am not sure how sour it got, if at all, would'nt hurt to give it a few more days.

Latest posts

Back