RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

I'm in the process of brewing an extract version of Dr Smurto"s Golden Ale. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get it into a keg by Sunday 15th. Currently the SG is at 1015 and tastes great (I pitched the yeast on last Saturday morning ( 7th)). As per the recipe, I'd like to dry hop with 15g of Amarillo pellets.

When is the earliest I could add the hops without CO2 stripping away the aroma in the fermentation process and still have enough time for the hops to impart some aroma?

Cheers and thanks

Rather than dry hop you could steep some hops in boiled water and strain the liquid into the keg as you rack into it.

You could use a coffee plunger for this or as i did back in the extract days, a piece of stocking tied up to contain the hops. :D

Rather than dry hop you could steep some hops in boiled water and strain the liquid into the keg as you rack into it.

You could use a coffee plunger for this or as i did back in the extract days, a piece of stocking tied up to contain the hops. :D

What about a good old classic teapot infusion and pour? Hmm I wonder if it would be drinkable.

made this up as my first AG last weekend. unfortunatly its sitting patiently n the cube as my fermenting situation isnt good atm (waiting for fridge to be free)

because of no chilling my hop recipe was as follows (all amarillo)

45m 15g
5m 20g
cube hop 5g
going to dry hop 20g

reckon thatll end up ok? i think IBU worked out to be around 33

"Rather than dry hop you could steep some hops in boiled water and strain the liquid into the keg as you rack into it."

Thanks Doc

I'd forgotten about making a hop tea. How long do you seep the hops for and in how much water?

Thanks

"Rather than dry hop you could steep some hops in boiled water and strain the liquid into the keg as you rack into it."

Thanks Doc

I'd forgotten about making a hop tea. How long do you seep the hops for and in how much water?

Thanks

You might expect a scientist to be more accurate in doing this but i normally splash some boiling water into jug. At a guess, maybe 250mL. Drop in the hops (20g for a 20L batch give or take) make a coffee and then strain (the hop solution, not the coffee) into a keg. :D

@d3vour3r - I don't no chill so don't follow the threads relating to any conversions needed. Personally i don't think you should be making any adjustments for no chill. When i brew this recipe i add the last lot of hops at flameout. Then i whirlppol and spend the next 10, 15, 20 mins or so connecting up the plate chiller, running sanitiser through it, sanitising the fermenter etc before running the now much cooler than 100C wort through the chiller.

Put my batch into Secondary last night - My bittering addition was definately too high - but it's entirely my fault, it was my first AG batch and ALL the numbers were WAY out, boil was more like 15L starting volume instead of 18L like it should have been, and I didn't adjust the bittering addition. Ended up with only 12L into the fermenter :(

Big hop aroma though, going to skip the dry hopping in secondary I think but I may still drop some in the keg (in a stainless tea ball).

It'll be too bitter for the style but it's still WAY better than my past K&K 'brews'! :)

Vic45 made a cracker version of the Golden Ale with all Galaxy.. Just saying. B)

Ge I hate to be a killjoy but I brewed this recipe and really wasn't happy with the results. The recipe good, the hops - Amarillo, bad. I have heard a lot of great things on this forum about Amarillo hops and brewed this recipe for the specific reason of trying them and have to say that I was not impressed. A thoroughly over rated hop IMHO. I think the recipe is good just it needs some different hops. Any suggestions for something that will give a fairly authentic APA without using a hop similar to Amarillo?

Take your pick. Cascade or centennial are well used and well liked (grapefruit/citrus) chinook is piney and resiny. Other popular US hops include simcoe, columbus and citra.

Many of the NZ hops have the same kind of fruitiness as many of the US hops and galaxy (aus hop) if you like passionfruit.

Personally I've found recent seasons of amarillo to be a bit wanting so it might be that. I used to get mandarin and stonefruit. Now I get a bit of passionfruit and a bit of perfume/chemical character.

Ge I hate to be a killjoy but I brewed this recipe and really wasn't happy with the results. The recipe good, the hops - Amarillo, bad. I have heard a lot of great things on this forum about Amarillo hops and brewed this recipe for the specific reason of trying them and have to say that I was not impressed. A thoroughly over rated hop IMHO. I think the recipe is good just it needs some different hops. Any suggestions for something that will give a fairly authentic APA without using a hop similar to Amarillo?

You're not being a killjoy, you have just discovered that amarillo doesn't press your buttons.

Cascade works well as does centennial, B Saaz (Moteuka), Chinook, Galaxy or combinations of some of them. One of my favourite versions was by another brewer and was a 50/50 split of cascade and amarillo. My favourite version uses homegrown Victoria hops as well as rye instead of wheat.

I like mine with centennial, but i like everything with centennial :icon_cheers:

Also using 50/50 rye/wheat for the wheat addition.

edit; just checked i'm using northern brewer to bitter and a split tween cascade and centennial.

My last version had a combo of Galaxy and Nelson Sav. Turned out well

I just mashed and cubed this last night at midnight with 80grams of cascade for something different
40g @ 60
20g @ 20
20g @ 0
Taste and smell out of the pot was damn awesome

Im thinking of doing this reciepe with a single addition Aipa with amarillo and cascade at 20mins for the fun of it
scaled the recipe up to 1.060
Cascade 80g @ 20mins
Amarillo 80g @ 20mins
IBU should coming somewhere about 60 Any thoughts on if this would work for a flavor profile or should i scrap it and go for a simple Topaz smash
then i think i better go back to using some cheaper bittering hops after this :p

Cascade works well as does centennial, B Saaz (Moteuka), Chinook, Galaxy or combinations of some of them. One of my favourite versions was by another brewer and was a 50/50 split of cascade and amarillo. My favourite version uses homegrown Victoria hops as well as rye instead of wheat.

Thanks I might try it with cascade. Also Northern Brewer could be interesting. So what would rye bring to the party?

If the taste of the liquor last night with cascade is anything to go by then you wont be disappointed Bob :p
Its going to be a painfull week waiting for the fridge to become empty so i can start fermenting this :p

Hey guys! I just drew out a hydrometer reading for this beer, today being day 11. The hydrometer was still bubbling but I suspected it was just the CO2, and fermentation was done. I used US-05, and fermented at 18. The odd thing is, the FG was 1060. Higher than any FG i'd recorded. The obvious next inquiry would be "what was the SG", which I forgot to take (Yes, I need a slap). What's the deal with this?

Hey guys! I just drew out a hydrometer reading for this beer, today being day 11. The hydrometer was still bubbling but I suspected it was just the CO2, and fermentation was done. I used US-05, and fermented at 18. The odd thing is, the FG was 1060. Higher than any FG i'd recorded. The obvious next inquiry would be "what was the SG", which I forgot to take (Yes, I need a slap). What's the deal with this?

I meant airlock, obviously. Edit function won't work for me.

Your final gravity (FG) is 1.060 SG? i think you may need to do another Specific gravity (SG) reading because if it fermented at all it should of been about 1.045ish to start with and fermented down to somewhere about 1.008-1.012

Latest posts

Back