RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your final gravity (FG) is 1.060 SG? i think you may need to do another Specific gravity (SG) reading because if it fermented at all it should of been about 1.045ish to start with and fermented down to somewhere about 1.008-1.012

Yes. I'm certain i'm reading it correctly, used it plenty of times. It's definitely fermented, tastes damn good already. Is there anything that could have caused my hydrometer to become so uncalibrated? I'll go take another reading with another hydrometer anyhow.

Hey guys! I just drew out a hydrometer reading for this beer, today being day 11. The hydrometer was still bubbling but I suspected it was just the CO2, and fermentation was done. I used US-05, and fermented at 18. The odd thing is, the FG was 1060. Higher than any FG i'd recorded. The obvious next inquiry would be "what was the SG", which I forgot to take (Yes, I need a slap). What's the deal with this?

Can you explain your process for using and reading the hydromter?

What was the recipe you went with - the kit version, AG version or a tweak on one of them?

Can you explain your process for using and reading the hydromter?

What was the recipe you went with - the kit version, AG version or a tweak on one of them?

Okay, so I used the other hydrometer, the one I had previously used is so far out of whack it's not funny. I had totally different reading. Maybe should have tried the other one first. It's still a little high though - 1.018. Is that at all unusual?

This was the recipe for a 6L boil:

250G simpsons crystal (Steeped at 65 for 40 mins)
Premium selection Coopers sparkling ale can
Coopers wheat malt extract can
20g Amarillo at 15, 20g at 5
Us-05 Yeast

For hop utilisation, I had put one third of the can of wheat malt extract in for the boil. The rest of that can I added in in the last few minutes of the boil. The sparkling ale can was added after the wort had standed for 10 minutes.

It's not unusual for extract beers to finish higher than kit/kilo or all grain.

Give it a few more days, try a fast ferment test (google braukaiser fast ferment) and see if it drops any but 1018 is reasonable, 1060 is unlikely.

Still sounds high. whats the hydrometer reading in tap water? if its at 0.0 then I would give it a decent stir not too vigorous and then take another reading on Tuesday. If its higher then that then i would still stir it and wait till Tuesday and see if its still the same

If your kegging i wouldn't stress about anything, but if your bottling be patient :p

For an all extract brew with some crystal it's not that crazy. When I did extract and extract and grains my usual finishing gravity range was 1016-1018. I am very patient with most beers and rarely in a rush to bottle. By the time I was extract brewing, I had developed this attitude.

I don't keg but if I did, I wouldn't rush a beer into it anymore than I would the bottle. There's more to consider than bombs (important though that is). Allowing the yeast to remove unwanted flavour compounds is also important.

It's not unusual for extract beers to finish higher than kit/kilo or all grain.

Give it a few more days, try a fast ferment test (google braukaiser fast ferment) and see if it drops any but 1018 is reasonable, 1060 is unlikely.

I'll leave it for a few more days and test again. Thanks.

Spin the hydrometer so air bubbles aren't able to throw out your reading.

Still sounds high. whats the hydrometer reading in tap water? if its at 0.0 then I would give it a decent stir not too vigorous and then take another reading on Tuesday. If its higher then that then i would still stir it and wait till Tuesday and see if its still the same

If your kegging i wouldn't stress about anything, but if your bottling be patient :p

It's at 0.0... Unfortunately don't have a keg, can't see myself getting one in the near future as i'm an unemployed uni student. Patience seems to be the main tactic in this game, i'll be sure to take another reading Tuesday before crash chilling.

@bum, Had done so...

I've noticed this batch is reasonably bitter... dryness on the tongue. It has a slightly floral scent too (in a nice way, not a chemical-florally scent), but i've read Amarillo has this type of characteristic. It's nothing offensive or unwanted, I'll just be interested to see how it all mellows and develops after a month or so.

Your able to make it last a month ?????
Damn im barely able to keep it for a week let alone 4 :D

Your able to make it last a month ?????
Damn im barely able to keep it for a week let alone 4 :D

Hahaha... It's going to be super difficult. I've been settling for Coopers sparkling ale lately, as i've been collecting the longnecks for my brews, and have enough of them to keep me going for a while. I'm just really interested to compare a James Squire golden ale to this batch, after it's matured slightly. My friend drinks the James Squire range constantly and the Golden ale is his favourite beer. I'm going to do a blind/unlabelled taste test with the homebrew, JSGA and a couple of other macro beers with my friends as test subjects and see how the homebrew weighs up. (If it turns out good that is, which i'm sure it will).

I just mashed and cubed this last night at midnight with 80grams of cascade for something different
40g @ 60
20g @ 20
20g @ 0
Taste and smell out of the pot was damn awesome

Im thinking of doing this reciepe with a single addition Aipa with amarillo and cascade at 20mins for the fun of it
scaled the recipe up to 1.060
Cascade 80g @ 20mins
Amarillo 80g @ 20mins
IBU should coming somewhere about 60 Any thoughts on if this would work for a flavor profile or should i scrap it and go for a simple Topaz smash
then i think i better go back to using some cheaper bittering hops after this :p

Sounds ok to me although i would add some flameout/dry hop additions.

Thanks I might try it with cascade. Also Northern Brewer could be interesting. So what would rye bring to the party?

Rye has an earthy, spicy character than some people (me) find addictive. :icon_drool2:

US Northern Brewer would work well IMO.

Gents, I am placing my order for grain with CB today and they are out of 1056 Wyeast... I am strating to build my yeast supplies by splitting wyeast packs at the moment so was hoping to do the same with this brew.

What other Wyeast would you guys suggest for this recipe?

Camo

Anyone added any Cascade as a 0 addition as well as the Amarillo? Going to brew this tomorrow and I quite like a hoppy aroma/taste.

Cheers.

Ge I hate to be a killjoy but I brewed this recipe and really wasn't happy with the results. The recipe good, the hops - Amarillo, bad. I have heard a lot of great things on this forum about Amarillo hops and brewed this recipe for the specific reason of trying them and have to say that I was not impressed. A thoroughly over rated hop IMHO. I think the recipe is good just it needs some different hops. Any suggestions for something that will give a fairly authentic APA without using a hop similar to Amarillo?

I made this recipe with 2009 Amarillo, was a real cracker. Lychees and fruit.

2010 Amarillo, really doesn't do it for me, its more like a marmalade beer :(

Moved onto Nelson Sauvin now, and just received my first pound of Galaxy :)

Anyone added any Cascade as a 0 addition as well as the Amarillo? Going to brew this tomorrow and I quite like a hoppy aroma/taste.

Cheers.

Cascade works very well in combination with amarillo.

I made this recipe with 2009 Amarillo, was a real cracker. Lychees and fruit.

2010 Amarillo, really doesn't do it for me, its more like a marmalade beer :(

Moved onto Nelson Sauvin now, and just received my first pound of Galaxy :)

Was just commenting last night to a couple of of the local brewing brethren that despite by dislike for the Stone and Wood beer i actually quite like galaxy and have brewed a few galaxy rye golden ales.

+1 on the WYEAST 1272 American Ale II - nice and clean profile and clears very nicely without filtering if it's not available.

Martin

+1 on the cascade with this
if i didnt have 80grams of amarillo left over from a previous brew my next 4 GA would be cascade as a house brew

Latest posts

Back