RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my hops direct order doesn't turn up on the weekend this Golden Ale inspired grain bill will be brewed with Falconer Flight. Should be good. 25L

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.60 %
Colour (SRM): 8.5 (EBC): 16.7
Bitterness (IBU): 30.6 (Average)

61.21% Boh Pils
18.83% Munich II
14.12% Wheat Malt
3.39% Carared
2.26% Caraaroma
0.19% Chocolate, Pale

0.5 g/L Falconers Flight (10.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Falconers Flight (10.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Falconers Flight (10.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Falconers Flight (10.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Guess i'll find out in a few weeks!

I always add the recipes in brew mate at the original volume and then just scale up the litres. The software automatically scales up the ingredients.

I'm drinking a Rye version atm I didn't dry hop it and i'm sorry i didn't, next one will definately have more hops.

Other than that it's delicous...

Rye APA1 (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.94 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.5
Bitterness (IBU): 34.0 (Average)

55% Pale Ale Malt
20% Munich I
20% Rye Malt
5% Caramalt

0.5 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.9 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've run out of Amarillo for the dry hop! Any suggestions to a delicious alternative? Or should I just leave it as is?

Just put my 1st batch of this down, used magnum hops as i had a heap...Smells and tastes very nice...Will dry hop with cascade...Hope its a winner...!

The recipe I posted a little bit above ended up with amarillo, centennial and simcoe. Oh yeah!

Rather than email everyone with the pdf file it seems much simpler to attach the pdf files here and include the link in my siganture.

The first is the original recipe as listed in the recipeDB
View attachment Golden_Ale___original.pdf

The second is the 'award winning' version which scored 46/50 at ANAWBS 2008. No dry hopping. I prefer this version as i feel it is a better balanced beer.
View attachment Golden_Ale___Award_winning.pdf

I brewed a highly 'pimped' extract version of this recently, and have just tasted my first bottle.

Now I know what Neil Sedaka was singing about:

Show me the way to the Amarillo
Evry nite I've been higgin my pillow
Dreamin dreams of Amarillo
the sweet brew'ry that waits for me.

And all this time we thought he was singing about some little town in Texas

Truly the best beer I have ever tasted.
The day after I went back to an all extract dark brew and it tasted like crap.

The 2 best things about this brew: 1 - I've got 40 more bottles of it and
2 - I've got the recipe to make as much more as I can

Now having looked at the grain bill, would it be possibly better to start with a pilsner kit rather than Sparkling Ale?

The pilsner kit gives 5 IBU less when diluted to 23L than the sparkling ale kit.

Apart from that there is no issue. You could add more hops to compensate or drop the volume by 1-2L.

The second is the 'award winning' version which scored 46/50 at ANAWBS 2008. No dry hopping. I prefer this version as i feel it is a better balanced beer.
View attachment 50607

The 0min addition of 20gm in this award winning version above, how long is that left in? Until it has cooled down to pitch temp, or just for X minutes?

I've attached a beersmith file for the new version, just want to make sure I've changed everything properly.

Cheers,

cranked out a BIAB 23L batch today for a boxing day keg :party:

went with some northern brewer and cascade

The 0min addition of 20gm in this award winning version above, how long is that left in? Until it has cooled down to pitch temp, or just for X minutes?

I've attached a beersmith file for the new version, just want to make sure I've changed everything properly.

Cheers,

I generally wait 15-20 minutes after flameout to chill to allow the aroma hops to steep.

Hey Doc, I have just poured myself the first tasting of your original all grain, all amarillo recipe out of a baby Braumeister.
Brewed on the 28/11/11 with the later hop additions you suggest. Kegged and chilled for a week, under gas for 2 days, already clearing and tasting pretty sweet, if ya know wot I mean!!! :icon_cheers:

I'll just leave it alone now ,,,'til chrissy :D

I generally wait 15-20 minutes after flameout to chill to allow the aroma hops to steep.

Thanks, that clears that up!

I'll have to go check out the LHBS sometime soon so I can get a batch of this going, the owner even recommended I get one made as soon as I can :D

I've got a batch in primary with Chinook for flavour and aroma that I hope to be able to resist until NYE with the lads.

Will be hard as the Landlord keg blew dry last night and the Alt keg feels too light for my liking.....

Did a small AG batch of this the other day, looks to be only 13 - 14L into the fermenter (First AG batch) but used 1056 as the yeast. It's only been a few days so far, but I can't wait to stick it in a keg! :)

Hi all

I'm in the process of brewing an extract version of Dr Smurto"s Golden Ale. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get it into a keg by Sunday 15th. Currently the SG is at 1015 and tastes great (I pitched the yeast on last Saturday morning ( 7th)). As per the recipe, I'd like to dry hop with 15g of Amarillo pellets.

When is the earliest I could add the hops without CO2 stripping away the aroma in the fermentation process and still have enough time for the hops to impart some aroma?

Cheers and thanks

Hi all

I'm in the process of brewing an extract version of Dr Smurto"s Golden Ale. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get it into a keg by Sunday 15th. Currently the SG is at 1015 and tastes great (I pitched the yeast on last Saturday morning ( 7th)). As per the recipe, I'd like to dry hop with 15g of Amarillo pellets.

When is the earliest I could add the hops without CO2 stripping away the aroma in the fermentation process and still have enough time for the hops to impart some aroma?

Cheers and thanks

If you plan on having it kegged by sunday and its very close to being finished fermenting, chuck them in now to give them a few days to do their thanggg, otherwise there wont be much time to impart much/any aroma

Sponge

EDIT: PS. dont rush kegging it if it hasnt finished fermenting, but even if you do, just be sure to release some of the pressure if its still fermenting

Back