RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it a few weeks ago and OG was 1.045 and finished at 1.010.

You may have had goo in the tap. Run a bit out and then take your sample again.

After two weeks in the bottle it is great and the best part is it will only get better. Thanks DrSmurto.

Cheers

Mark

G'day guys i have brewed two lots of this, as my cherry popper, one batch 2 weeks ago and the other batch a week ago...

now i have left the first batch in the fermentor for 2 weeks, but it stalled at 1.020, but i was so excited to drink my first brew, i kegged it up today (after 2 weeks) and it chilling now for carbing tomorrow...

i checked the SG of the second batch that i brewed a week ago, and the Sg is down to 1.014 already...

should i keg it up? or will it be okay with another week in the fermentor?

Just found the Wiki topics, i think i have found my answer... derrr :)

I havent been able to read this entire thread, because I am at work at the moment so Im not sure if the answer has already been posted, but I want to order the grain today

Anyhoos, I want to put this down as my first AG next weekend but was hoping to do it as a 25lt batch (so hopefully I can completely fill the cube)

Based on my calcs to do a 25lt batch I would need to up the grain bill to
3kg Weyerman Pilsner
1kg Weyerman Pale Wheat
1kg Weyerman Munich 1
0.3kg Weyerman Caramunich 1

Does this sound about right? I should be able to figure out the increased hop additions to bring it back up to the correct number of IBUs.

Cheers.

BQ,

The recipe can be increased or decreased linearly as required. Same with hops, etc.

So in the case of this beer, Dr S has recipe for 20L batch, going to a 25L batch is simply multiplying all ingredients by 1.25 (25/20).

So yep, you have the right grain bill there to make it to the letter.

And what a great little drop it is! ;)

Due to the kindness of a brewer from this forum local to me, I've been able to try this.

Damn tasty beer.

I'm hoping to knock out a few less complex amber ales to up my stocks which are nil so I think a partial version of this is on the cards.

had a taste of this out of the hydro jar tonight...

:icon_drool2:

once this is kegged i will be bumping this up the que

I was going to put this down yesterday for my 1st full batch AG but the gas bottle my mate gave me was empty so i will do it this weekend. Am thinking at substituing it was Galaxy. Has anyone tried it and what does it turn out like as ive never used Galaxy or should i go to BB and buy some Amirillo?? If so what hop bill shall i use?

I was going to put this down yesterday for my 1st full batch AG but the gas bottle my mate gave me was empty so i will do it this weekend. Am thinking at substituing it was Galaxy. Has anyone tried it and what does it turn out like as ive never used Galaxy or should i go to BB and buy some Amirillo?? If so what hop bill shall i use?

I have a pack of galaxy sitting in my freezer and planned on doing a straight swap for the amarillo.

I'd keep the late additions the same and adjust the 60 min addition to keep the IBU around 30.

Stupid question but how long do you usually dry hop for?? Had mine dry hopping for 3 days so far and want to crash chill so i can filter it.

Cheers

Scotsman

I have a pack of galaxy sitting in my freezer and planned on doing a straight swap for the amarillo.

I'd keep the late additions the same and adjust the 60 min addition to keep the IBU around 30.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I played with beersmith but wasnt sure what additions i should play with. I will do it tonight

Have this beer in bottles now for near on 3 weeks.
Brewed strictly to the bsm file on page one of this thread, well almost strictly.
Time got away from me with work away from home and I had it sitting at 1c for 3 weeks before I got it in the bottles.
Has done no harm at all!
Is a great beer. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers Smurto for sharing. Got a couple sitting here for you, and still got some of my first AG Ordinary Bitter for testing.

Cheers
Nige

I copied this from another thread (or maybe it was somewhere in the 14 previous pages of this thread):

DrSmurto's Golden Ale - kit version
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
US05

Cheers

Mark

This is interesting to see, I'm going to do a kits and bits version of this as my next brew and it is similar to this in a way. (PS I think you may have found this in the recipeDB ;) )

The recipe I came up with for 25L was:

1 can Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
1.5kg pale DME
250g Carawheat
25g Amarillo @ 15, 5, flameout and dry hop

This looks a bit hoppier on paper but it will be more subdued as it will only be 8-10L boil diluted down to 25L. Should come in at about 30IBU with 20 coming from the kit.

Happy brewing!

Edit: I may sub the amarillo for galaxy as I'm yet to use these yet and they sound amazing, or perhaps a combination...

Finished my very first AG keg last night, and it was the good Doctors GA. Such a nice drop, this shall definately become a regular on my keg rotations.

May have to try Dr S' Landlord first though... hmmmm decisions decisions..... :lol: :icon_cheers:

Have this beer in bottles now for near on 3 weeks.
Brewed strictly to the bsm file on page one of this thread, well almost strictly.
Time got away from me with work away from home and I had it sitting at 1c for 3 weeks before I got it in the bottles.
Has done no harm at all!
Is a great beer. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers Smurto for sharing. Got a couple sitting here for you, and still got some of my first AG Ordinary Bitter for testing.

Cheers
Nige

Free beer? How can i say no? :lol:

Free beer? How can i say no? :lol:

you'll love it no doubt. After Nige's other samples I'm sure its a high quality product

hmm might be time to brew another 1 or 2 of these ready for when the weatherwarms up

I brewed this up last night, just pitched the yeast and had a quick taste. The OG is 1.073, and in unfermented form is quite bitter. I brewed it exactly as above into 23 litres, was this designed to be a bigger batch than that? or will it still ferment out, and give me a drinkable brew, it is pretty dark, i wouldnt call it golden ale

Paul

I brewed this extract version again last night, last brew before my impending switch to all grain, this time did a full wort boil,about 30 L, (instead of 16 litres). And i switched to amarillo this time, in keeping with the Dr's origonal recipe. Got 24 litres into my fermenter @ 1045, which is probably about spot on ( not like last time dunno what happened there, must have been a bad sample).

I am pretty keen to see how this one comes out, prob about 2-3 litres too many, I also left 2 litres in the kettle, I recon a 27 litre boil for 21 litres in the fermenter would come out at 1050.

I am going to do the All grain next week, for a back to back comparison

Paul

Stupid question but how long do you usually dry hop for?? Had mine dry hopping for 3 days so far and want to crash chill so i can filter it.

Cheers

Scotsman

I normally dry hop between 7 and 10 days for maximum aroma extraction! 3 days would see you missing out on some of the good stuff!

I made this up as my first extract brew last week, I used 2 unhopped cans of coopers and 250g of caramalt and the extract hopping schedule, the OG came out as 1.038 which surprised me, which I put it down to either poor measuring or poor technique :p (though beersmith says 1.038 is about right if you adjust the cans weight to 1.25 instead of 1.5) Anyway its coming up fine so far, hit 1.011 after ~7 days @ 18 degrees.

Latest posts

Back