RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SixStar said:
You're in the wrong thread mate. You should be posting this in general brewing techniques. Not sure how you ended up here.
Try there somewhere.
Not sure how you figure that mate? I'm seeking advice on a recipe I got of this thread, maybe not 100% correct but pretty close.

ken_gilchrist said:
I dragged that recipe of here some were mate so not sure exactly if it was yours or not.

My mash profile was set to the same as the one on the "Mathos" controller set up video:

Mash in @ 40 deg

protien rest @ 50 deg for 10 min. OG 1020

Beta amylase @ 63 for 15 min. OG 1051

Alpha1 @ 66 for 40 min. OG 1067

Alpha2 @ 72 for 20 min. OG 1068

Mash out @ 80 deg for 20 min

Pre boil volume 28l OG 1050

Post boil 1050
With that mash schedule I'd be expecting a dry beer, FG 1.010 so sounds like a yeast issue. Give the previous idea of racking a go but i suspect it's stuck at this SG.

As for the comment from someone else that 1.010 is a low FG that would be a no with a few caveats.

Pitching the correct quantity of healthy, viable yeast into a well oxygenated wort with an OG between 1.040 - 1.050 should result in an FG around 1.010. Depends on yeast, grist, mash temperature but 1.010 is not low.

A lager yeast can finish lower, coopers bottle yeast often finishes lower. A few of the hungry english yeasts can finish lower (WY1469, WY1026 just to name a few).

When i see people regularly getting FGs of 1.014+ in a regular OG beer i immediately think poor yeast health, low pitch rate, low oxygen. Brewing beer is easy. It's the fermentation side that tests a brewers skill.

DrSmurto said:
With that mash schedule I'd be expecting a dry beer, FG 1.010 so sounds like a yeast issue. Give the previous idea of racking a go but i suspect it's stuck at this SG.

As for the comment from someone else that 1.010 is a low FG that would be a no with a few caveats.

Pitching the correct quantity of healthy, viable yeast into a well oxygenated wort with an OG between 1.040 - 1.050 should result in an FG around 1.010. Depends on yeast, grist, mash temperature but 1.010 is not low.

A lager yeast can finish lower, coopers bottle yeast often finishes lower. A few of the hungry english yeasts can finish lower (WY1469, WY1026 just to name a few).

When i see people regularly getting FGs of 1.014+ in a regular OG beer i immediately think poor yeast health, low pitch rate, low oxygen. Brewing beer is easy. It's the fermentation side that tests a brewers skill.
Cool thanks DrSmurto. I'll give the advice given a go and see how it goes.

Thanks again

Made the latest recipe and it was the best beer I've made to date. Everyone loved it. I used the Victoria hops I grew.
I'm cooking up another one right now.

I don't have any caramunich, anyone substituted caramunich for crystal?

Results?

I don't have any caramunich, anyone substituted caramunich for crystal?

Results?

Thanks Doc,

I had to mill my grains yesterday arvo to brew this morning, so I've postponed this batch.

I've got some B&B crystal and some Caramalt.

I've gotta order some more hops now, as I used all my Amarillo in a 10min IPA today.

I'll order some carabohemian with the hops and give it a crack.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi all,I'm new to all grain brewing(forgive me),but for the good Doctors Golden Ale recipe,what is the ideal ferment temperature and time???Do you suggest just single primary or the use of secondary ferment as well???

Thanks in advance.

Brett05.

Searched websites and found the recipes but no ferment details?
Just the last peice of the puzzle I need to convince the non-believers in homebrew!!!

Cheers!

Brett05.

The recipe I got from beer smith uses a US05, which means about 18c for however long it takes

Brett05 said:
Searched websites and found the recipes but no ferment details?
Just the last peice of the puzzle I need to convince the non-believers in homebrew!!!

Cheers!

Brett05.
Not sure if this helps you But I ferment my version of this at 17 degrees with Wyeast 1272 for 1 week, then dry hop for another week, this could crash for approx 1 week before bottling. All this is done in the primary and the 3 week time frame revolves around only having time to work on my brews on the weekends, you could reduce the length of time if you have time to bottle/keg during the week.

Thanks for the reply, Brad!

It's the only detail about all-grain recipes I can't find???

Searched all of these recipes and evolution of the Drs Golden Ale,no ferment.

Thanks for helping the newbie:)

Thanks,burrster!

Just have standard Coopers(old) fermenters and 19ltr Corny kegs for dispensing on keg sytem ATM.

Just starting my adventures in all grain after several years of ol' Coopers cans.

Was curious ferment temps for individual styles.

"Cheers to the beer gods!!!"

Thank you for the replies and help to the newbie!

Doing the research before a disaster happens...

Cheers to all.

Brett05.

I brewed a Weyerman Grain, Amarillo hops and BRY 97 yeast version of this recipe. I put on a few homebrews for my son's 20th Birthday and the Golden Ale got rave reviews. I just put in a grain order to brew it again because everyone else drank all the great beer.

After this I will try the rye version.

Great recipe.

Latest posts

Back