RecipeDB - Doc's SmokedDunkelHefeRyeizenBock Cream Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score

Doc's SmokedDunkelHefeRyeizenBock Cream Ale

Wheat - Dunkelweizen
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Brewed 24/6/06
Flaked Oats rather than Oat Malt.
Wey Rye instead of TF Rye

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts)
2 kg TF Pale Rye Malt
2 kg Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
0.5 kg TF Pale Oat Malt
0.25 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.25 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.25 kg Weyermann CaraWheat
0.25 kg Weyermann Smoked

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
72 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 60mins)
70 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 30mins)

Yeast

100 ml White Labs WLP300 - Hefeweizen Ale
40L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.057 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 36.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 89%
  • Alcohol 5.46%
  • Colour 28 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 21 days
  • Secondary 21 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

It was a subtle tone in the overall complexity of the beer.
The keg was very drinkable.
I used the smoked malt that you can use kilos of (not the one you use grams of).

Beers,
Doc

It was a subtle tone in the overall complexity of the beer.
The keg was very drinkable.
I used the smoked malt that you can use kilos of (not the one you use grams of).

Beers,
Doc

Got 12.5kg of weyermann rauchmalt coming so assume this the same malt (and some experimentation to come) To the best of your guessimation power, how much extra malt do you think you could this recipe could take before it becomes more than subtle (ie stupid to add this much !)

The Weyermann page says you can use up to 100%.
That would be the high end :p

I don't recall off the top of my head the other Smoked Malt that we used to be able to get (Thomas Fawcett ???), but that one you need to be real light on the grist %.

Doc

Apparantly Schlenkerla use 95% rauch malt.

Have you used much of that oat malt Doc? I used it in a couple but found it to add a peculiar flavour that I wasn't particularly fond of.

Have you used much of that oat malt Doc? I used it in a couple but found it to add a peculiar flavour that I wasn't particularly fond of.

Not at all.
From the Notes

Flaked Oats rather than Oat Malt.

I don't think Flaked Oats were in the RecipeDB ingredients list when I posted the recipe a few years back.

Beers,
Doc

I have just purchased some Weyermann Smoked for the first time..
and presently have it half and half with some ale malt in the fermenter to test it out.
On early fermenter tastings it had a Bacon after taste present but far from over-powering..
with a little smokey aroma.
Will see what happens after its kegged and filtered..

Sqyre..

I have a smoked ale in the keg at the moment its 40% smoked and is very drinkable not too smoky at all i think 60 to 70 % would still be quite easy to drink.

I have a smoked ale in the keg at the moment its 40% smoked and is very drinkable not too smoky at all i think 60 to 70 % would still be quite easy to drink.

If time allows Sunday I'll drop in for a quick one. Interesting the influence of smoked malts with other malts, for no other reason but guessing, I think a subtle smoky flavour in a wheat beer sounds quite good !

Latest posts

Back