RecipeDB - Chocolate Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score

Chocolate Porter

Porter - American Amber Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

This brew included chocolate at two points- a pack of Coles dark cooking chocolate in the boil at 60 mins (gets rid of pesky oils) and choc extract, added into secondary. I used a smack pack of the yeast... not sure how many mL that's supposed to be.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
5 kg JWM Light Munich
0.8 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.5 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.1 kg JWM Roast Barley

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Amarillo Gold (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 60mins)
30 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)
20 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 15mins)
20 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 30mins)
20 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

50 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale
44L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.067 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 31.3 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.51%
  • Colour 51 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 5 days

Bought myself some 85% dark chocolate for a crack and youngs double choc stout and some essence.

Hoping you bring a bottle or 2 along to the swap..... :D

1 smack pack for 44L :eek: , I know 1056 is atough little ******* but 44L of 1.067 will have tested it muscles for sure! No starter?

I'm a lazy man, and haven't made starters since going to 44L, with mixed results- generally no problems, though. I will be bringing some bottles along to the swap, as it's both on tap and in bottles- though the bottle ones have more choc flavour than the tap one- this could be because in secondary the beer was in two vessels, and I guessed how to divide the essence in half, and most likely got it wrong.

Have you tasted Youngs Double Choc Stout?

A desert beer if ever there was one!

Looking forward to it mate. Drooling already.....

Drinking my chocolate prorter right as i type
vey similar malt profile just with Fuggles and Goldings for hop addition
the wife loves it and its a great full mouth feel, choco hit

I haven't tried it yet, but I took a few hints on how to do it from a clone of that beer in BYO- plus a few tips from GMK, who suggested the cooking chocolate in the boil. There's a long list of beers on my 'to try' list, and Young's is there, especially since there are so many good reviews for it!

Drinking my "Blow it out your rum and raisin" beer as I type, made with, well <_< Rum and raisin chocolate, nice

Back on topic: I have everything except the carapil for this recipe, what else could I use [thinking a little wheat may work] instead?

Some light crystal might do the trick- though I haven't substituted for this grain before.

I was at MHB in Nth Syd buying grain for a choc stout. It's finishing it's boil in two mins...... recipe to follow! I reckon it's more of a chock porter anyway!

Cheers - Mike

Latest posts

Back