Recipe help for second all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
I am about to do my second all grain in my robobrew.
My first was a dr smurto's golden ale. And I don't think the keg will last long. very happy with the results.
I am looking at putting down another this week but not sure what to brew.
I want more of a session beer something around 4% .
Easy drinking not to bitter. Looking on beersmith recipes most session beers look quite bitter.
Does anyone have a good recipe they might want to share

Cheers

The one of your design is the best choice. You've already worked it out now you just need to tweak it out on beersmith.
Don't worry if it doesn't fit to styles. There is always the (Specialty Beer) option that's a wide variation. ;)
Although my sessional beers can have a FG as low as 1.002. I like low carb dry drinks for quaffing. Cant find (my style's) on Beersmith.

What sort of styles do you like? American pale ales, english ales, american amber ales?

Still reasonably new to home brew, so still trying different styles.
But American pale ales,
I do like the coopers cerveza can, something like that in all grain would be good?

Danscraftbeer said:
The one of your design is the best choice. You've already worked it out now you just need to tweak it out on beersmith.
Don't worry if it doesn't fit to styles. There is always the (Specialty Beer) option that's a wide variation. ;)
Although my sessional beers can have a FG as low as 1.002. I like low carb dry drinks for quaffing. Cant find (my style's) on Beersmith.
I will be tweaking some recipes but just want to find a couple of good bases to start with

Ghizo said:
Still reasonably new to home brew, so still trying different styles.
But American pale ales,
I do like the coopers cerveza can, something like that in all grain would be good?
Id try something along the lines of this, which is similar to a session summer ale I did over xmas.

OG about 1.040
IBUs about 25 if you dont like it too bitter otherwise up about 30

5-10% crystal type malts
10-20% munich malt if you like
The remainder just a base ale or pilsner malt

Any type of fruity american style hop like cascade, centennial, citra, simcoe, amarillo etc. If you really like your hops use 2 g/l, otherwiseuse 1g/l.

60min addition to bring the total IBUs to your target of 25 or 30
15min - 1 or 2 grams per litre of hops
0min - 1 or 2 grams per litre of hops
Dry - 1 or 2 grams per litre of hops added to the fermenter a day or 2 prior to fermentation finishing

A neutral ale yeast like US05, wyeast 1056, wyeast 1272 or wlp001.

Mash pretty high to leave some body in the beer. Id go with 69 degrees for an hour then 72 degrees for 10 minutes if its easy for you to do multi step mashing. Otherwise leave out the 72 degree rest. Mash out at 76 for 10minutes if you have the ability.

Edit: You will need to take into account how you are chilling your beer at flameout, as you need to with all recipes. If you are doing the no chill method, you will need to adjust those hop addition times and ibus. I have written that recipe based on chilling the beer immediately at flameout. I can have it down to 70 degrees in less than 3 minutes with my immersion chiller which stops most of the isomerisation of the hops (bitterness). If you are no chilling or are whirlpooling or whatever for a while you may want to back the ibus off a tad.

docs yard glass if you can find its quite good

Try doing some SMASH (Single Malt And Single Hop) brews to learn about flavour contributions of ingredients.

I just did Maris Otter + EKG to 1.044 and 29IBU, I'm running with the KISS principle....

Highly recommend the SAAZ Blonde in the recipe data base.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1485-simple-saaz-blonde/

Very simple, single infusion, single hop beer that is delicate and just flys down the hatch. It will give you a great appreciation for the grain flavours as it isnt overpowered by hops - it is a very easy drinker, particularly if you like the Cervesa type (note it ist a cervesa).

I recently did it and was very impressed. Just adjust the grain bill down to get your desired ABV and adjust the hops down a little to maintain the same IBUs.

+1 for a SMaSH beer. Mainly because they're very simple, so it's a good way to get used to your system etc without worrying about having 3 or 4 grains or hops in there. Funnily enough, I only have my first ever SMaSH beer in a cube now, 3 and a half years after I went to AG. :lol: It's a Centennial/Maris Otter brew, 1.048 OG and somewhere around 35-40 IBUs. It'll be going into the FV next Monday so will be interested to try it out.

Droopy Brew said:

Very simple, single infusion, single hop beer that is delicate and just flys down the hatch. It will give you a great appreciation for the grain flavours as it isnt overpowered by hops - it is a very easy drinker, particularly if you like the Cervesa type (note it ist a cervesa).

I recently did it and was very impressed. Just adjust the grain bill down to get your desired ABV and adjust the hops down a little to maintain the same BU:GU ratio.
FTFY

Droopy Brew said:

I recently did it and was very impressed. Just adjust the grain bill down to get your desired ABV and adjust the hops down a little to maintain the same IBUs.
Sounds interesting, but when I follow that link I don't see a recipe?

Really? Works for me.

Try going into the Recipe Discussion section and search for Simple Saaz Blonde.
Let me know if it doesn't work and Ill paste the recipe here.

Ok using the iPad app the link does not work.
Logged in with Safari and it works?
The search does not work so well in the app as well.
Anyway got the recipe, looks pretty good

Yeah search function in Android app is crap also... sorry for the OT!

This is a very session able ale, I have a lot of friends who drink my beer but don't like "crafty beers". It was based on a xxxx clone but I've done a few things to it.

Hoop X
Australian Sparkling Ale
All Grain (44.00 l) ABV: 4.96 %
OG: 1.043 SG FG: 1.005 SG
IBUs: 19.7 IBUs Color: 7.6 SRM
By:
Ingredients

10.00 g - Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
Mash 60 min

7.00 kg - Golden promise
Mash addition (75.0%) - 6.3 SRM

1.02 kg - Wheat malt
Mash addition (10.9%) - 1.5 SRM

0.30 kg - Carahell
Mash addition (3.3%) - 25.6 SRM

0.41 kg - Munich Malt 2
Mash addition (4.4%) - 9.0 SRM

0.61 kg - Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Mash addition (6.5%) - 0.0 SRM

36.4 g - Cluster
Boil 60 min (16.6 IBUs)

34.2 g - Cluster
Boil 5 min (3.1 IBUs)

2 pkg - Safale American
DCL/Fermentis #US-05

Ghizo said:
I am about to do my second all grain in my robobrew.
My first was a dr smurto's golden ale. And I don't think the keg will last long. very happy with the results.
I am looking at putting down another this week but not sure what to brew.
I want more of a session beer something around 4% .
Easy drinking not to bitter. Looking on beersmith recipes most session beers look quite bitter.
Does anyone have a good recipe they might want to share

Cheers
My suggestion is make the same beer again. My first few brews were all the same, and it helped me dial in my gear and get my processes down while aiming for the same OG and IBU.

You've got your whole brewing life to make different beers, but it is important to learn your gear and processes early on and there are few better ways than trying to replicate a recipe back-to-back.

JD

Back