What software is the go for All Grain Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollster101

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been brewing FWK's from my local brewshop for a while and have had great success with them. I recently decided I wanted to look at expanding into AG and bought a Gen 4 35L Brewzilla.

I haven't been around the forum for a while so I am not sure what the go to application is these days for helping to create recipes.

Is there anything out there that can help a new AG brewer?

Cheers

I know there's some free software out there which appears to do a good job.
Having said that, I have used BeerSmith for the last 17 years, currently version 3. It was a one off payment of $20, and does the job for me, with many of its built in tools. Well worth investigating whether it suits your needs.

I know there's some free software out there which appears to do a good job.
Having said that, I have used BeerSmith for the last 17 years, currently version 3. It was a one off payment of $20, and does the job for me, with many of its built in tools. Well worth investigating whether it suits your needs.
Thanks for the info. I will have a look at BeerSmith and see what it is capable of.

Brewfather is great. BeerSmith also very functional - haven’t used for a while but it used to be pretty clunky with a very dated interface.

Brewfather is great. BeerSmith also very functional - haven’t used for a while but it used to be pretty clunky with a very dated interface.
Thanks for the alternative option, I will take a look.

Hi all

I have been brewing FWK's from my local brewshop for a while and have had great success with them. I recently decided I wanted to look at expanding into AG and bought a Gen 4 35L Brewzilla.

I haven't been around the forum for a while so I am not sure what the go to application is these days for helping to create recipes.

Is there anything out there that can help a new AG brewer?

Cheers
I have used Beersmith for many years. Once you get used to it you’ll find it does everything you need. Have also tried Brewfather and Brewers Friend. These also work well but Beersmith seems more up to date wth ingredients available in Australia.

I have used Beersmith for many years. Once you get used to it you’ll find it does everything you need. Have also tried Brewfather and Brewers Friend. These also work well but Beersmith seems more up to date wth ingredients available in Australia.
Thanks for the validation on Beersmith.

One question for Beersmith advocates, is it a tool that you can use to assist with modifying recipes to cater for size differences that you may decide to brew? Does it also give instructions as to how things would happen on brew day?

I will see if I can find some posts on YT that may show how it all hangs together.

It will do that. The best idea is to look at BeerSmith own website which will have videos explaining it all. Their own forum might also be useful to you.
Magic, I will take a look.

Cheers for the guidance.

You can also use the Grainfather website and/or phone app. It's free, just register. You don't need to own Grainfather equipment, in fact it has the settings for the Gen 4 Brewzilla in it's database.

Thanks for the validation on Beersmith.

One question for Beersmith advocates, is it a tool that you can use to assist with modifying recipes to cater for size differences that you may decide to brew? Does it also give instructions as to how things would happen on brew day?

I will see if I can find some posts on YT that may show how it all hangs together.
I used beer smith for years and found it very easy to use and functional. And yes, there is a tool where you can scale the recipe either up or down (I used it many times). You can also customise your gear in there (i.e. put in known deadspace) to better calculate your water/grain volumes.

Haven’t brewed for a few years though, so can’t speak for the newer versions or other software, which may be superior.

JD

One thing I love about Brew Father is the countless recipes in every style imaginable. Does Beer Smith have this I wouldnt know, I've never used it.

I use Brewfather, it has a huge library of recipes, you can import .xml files from grainfather or others, easy to build modify your own recipe, input a copy from a book. Being a Tyro too in AG brewing the brewday tracker is helpful, plus I added my RAPT pill to the ferment tracker for dry hopping at the ideal point. You can also manually add hydrometer, pressure, temp readings to track the ferment profile. David Heath has a few tube vids to guide you if you go that BF way - This is the way:cool:

Latest posts

Back