Re-using Yeast From Big Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Brewed an ipa 1.060 with pacman and then used the yeast cake to brew an American barleywine. I have got about 700ml of slurry sitting in the fridge doing nothing. Instead of using my last pacman smack pack, am I able to reuse this yeast for another ipa? How would I treat this yeast to get it healthy again?

I was thinking of making a 2 litre starter with half the slurry, a little nutrient and leave it on the stirplate for a few days..

Your thoughts?

Brewed an ipa 1.060 with pacman and then used the yeast cake to brew an American barleywine. I have got about 700ml of slurry sitting in the fridge doing nothing. Instead of using my last pacman smack pack, am I able to reuse this yeast for another ipa? How would I treat this yeast to get it healthy again?

I was thinking of making a 2 litre starter with half the slurry, a little nutrient and leave it on the stirplate for a few days..

Your thoughts?

I re use my sluury all the time in this way, use jamils calculator re viability and pitch that amount. It can be found at MrMalty.com

If you want to make a starter, you only need a desert spoon full

Paul

If pitching the slurry directly I'd be a little concerned the yeast might stressed from the (two) strong beers it has been used to previously ferment.
If it was me, I'd take a small amount of the slurry and make a small starter then step it up to 2L in a few steps over a few days, that way you should have active and healthy yeast which is more used to the conditions that you'll pitch it into.

Latest posts

Back