Re-using Commercial Beer Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurrall

Reaction score
My mates old man drinks about thirty long necks of new a week. just wondering if these bottles would be suitable for re using for bottling? thought maybe they might not be strong enough after seeing a few explosion photos on this site?
thanks for your help

My mates old man drinks about thirty long necks of new a week. just wondering if these bottles would be suitable for re using for bottling? thought maybe they might not be strong enough after seeing a few explosion photos on this site?
thanks for your help

I have filledd a couple of hundred XXXX longnecks and they are thin. You must be careful to ensure that your brew has 1. finished ferment before bottling by having a stable gravity reading over a couple of days (then leave a week if you are not in a hurry) 2. you are using the correct amount of priming sugar.

Apparently infection can also make your beer keep fermenting and over pressure your bottles as well. I have had a few infections (I think), yet to have any bottles break.

If new bottles are anything like xxxx bottles they should be ok if you exercise due care.

thanks for your help

I'm sure they'll be stong enough, but the problem is they are clear glass which means anything contained inside is susceptible to UV damage. If you use them try to store the beer completely out of the light.

You're better off with brown glass or even green. Coopers tallies are nice and thick and they're the right colour glass :)

I use Boags and Cascade longnecks and they work fine and have done for about a year now. I just screw the old bottle caps back on as hard as I can with a tea towel. Works fine, never had a flat one.

I'm sure they'll be stong enough, but the problem is they are clear glass which means anything contained inside is susceptible to UV damage. If you use them try to store the beer completely out of the light.

You're better off with brown glass or even green. Coopers tallies are nice and thick and they're the right colour glass :)

Shed, maybe you're thinking of Tooheys Extra Dry and not Tooheys New. I've used New long-necks myself and they are most definitely brown and not clear.

Wcurrall, a lot of people on this site prefer to use the old Coopers style long-necks with the thicker glass and crown seal and I also think that they are better, however I also use Tooheys New, Boags, etc. and have not had any problems. Just like potof4x said, as long as your brew has completely finished primary fermentation and you don't over-prime the bottles then I can't see you having any problems at all.

I use Swan Draught, Emu Export and Carlton Draught kingers with new caps

No explosions so far (about a year) ;)

Before I went to kegginf I used VB longnecks, and their thin. You'll be fine if you're smart about it. Make sure fermentation is 100% complete, before you fill them make sure the bottle is 100% in tact, no chips or scratches anywhere (chips especially around the lip), and never use a hand capper, bench capper all the way, trust me.

I have just got myself about 10 cartons of Carona bottles - will these be ok to use? I know i will have to keep them out of the light...

I have just got myself about 10 cartons of Carona bottles - will these be ok to use? I know i will have to keep them out of the light...

Yes they should be fine. Just about any bottle that has held a carbonated liquid is fine.

Just like Shed has said above, your Corona bottles will be fine as long as you keep them out of the light you should have no problems. I personally don't really mind which bottles I use at all since I keep them all in complete darkness, no matter whether they're brown, green or clear bottles.

I've used Corona bottles to impress a Coronaphile relation and they work very well, being 'roll top' and not twist top. Definitely dark cupboard however.

thanks for your help

It all depends on where you live.
Most bottles in Australia are fine to use.
But if your in Perth, then they are 'definitely' too weak. I suggest calling me and I'll 'dispose' of them for you at no charge. :)

Disclaimer: Views expessed in this post may be slightly skewed due to personal interests.

I'm using mostly Toohey's New and Old longnecks, a few XXXX (the thinnest longnecks around), and about 60 Coopers longnecks.
They all work fine, but I reserve the Coopers bottles for higher carbonated styles such as Hefeweizens.

I'd steer clear of the carb drops, too expensive, and I think they carbonate too high.
Also, if you use one of those sugar measures, they measure too much sugar. I only ever use no more than about to /3 of the measure, and my beers have plenty of carbonation.

The main thing to make sure is that your brew has fully fermented. That means giving it at least two weeks in primary, and using your hydrometer to make sure you're fully done. It's not unusual for me to bottle after 3 to 4 weeks in primary.

Provided you use common sense, and take note of the points raised in the responses in this thread, you'll be fine. I've not had a bottle bomb since my first batch way back in 1973.

best longnecks are COOPERS they are very thick..
+1 on that for new bottles but if you can get your hands on some old pick axe bottles your laughing they are the best I reckon anyway.

Back