Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GalBrew said:
No, we are totally on the same page. I do not dare comment on things of a brewing nature anywhere unless I personally have both the theory and practical experience on a particular topic. Sure I read things first (and in depth) but if it doesn't work out in practice for me in the way I hypothesise based on my readings, I will keep my mouth shut. This is basically my day job, just not in brewing. The whole yeast thing is one area in my brewing where I have found improvements in taste coincide with improvements in process, that are based on previous research in the field (temp control, pitching rates, nutrient, starters, oxygenation etc.).
So the fact you are commenting on the subject means you think your beer actually tastes better when you rehydrate?

pcmfisher said:
So the fact you are commenting on the subject means you think your beer actually tastes better when you rehydrate?
Yes, that is what I think. I have found that when using us-05 especially that my IPA has a cleaner, more polished profile. Also when using w34/70 in lagers. Or should I not notice the difference?

I attribute this not to rehydrating per se, but that rehydrating results in correct pitching rates. I have never tried a double dry pitch, don't really see the point in paying for another sachet of yeast.

I apologise for attempting to contribute to the forum, it seems to have greatly offended you. Would it be better that I just constantly talk out of my arse about shit that I have never done before?

No, not offended and I hope you are not either.

GalBrew said:
Yes, that is what I think. I have found that when using us-05 especially that my IPA has a cleaner, more polished profile. Also when using w34/70 in lagers. Or should I not notice the difference?

I attribute this not to rehydrating per se, but that rehydrating results in correct pitching rates. I have never tried a double dry pitch, don't really see the point in paying for another sachet of yeast.

I apologise for attempting to contribute to the forum, it seems to have greatly offended you. Would it be better that I just constantly talk out of my arse about shit that I have never done before?
I would have thought that everyone would notice a difference.

That would be a big decider for me.

pcmfisher said:
No, not offended and I hope you are not either.

I would have thought that everyone would notice a difference.

That would be a big decider for me.
No problemo, I think this thread may be getting the better of me. Without sounding like a total flog though, I guess not everyone has the same palate ability. Or perhaps other processes, or lack of processess in their brewing (ferm temp, oxygenation) may make the difference not perceptible? I mean if you rehydrate or not, a beer fermented at ambient temps under the stairs probably isn't going to be too different? I have found that each little step in process that I have improved results only in little flavour improvements (I tended to change one thing at a time), but when you add them all up they result in a marked difference in beer quality. :beer:

You are quite right, there is nothing scientific or even objective about beer/wine tasting. It is a purely subjective assessment, which I guess is why products like VB, Carlton Cold and XXXX gold to name a few continue to be consumed.

GalBrew said:
You are quite right, there is nothing scientific or even objective about beer/wine tasting. It is a purely subjective assessment, which I guess is why products like VB, Carlton Cold and XXXX gold to name a few continue to be consumed.
Its not the subjectivity that is in dispute, its the inaccuracy, inconsistency and randomness.

"Judging wines is by its nature subjective, but the awards appeared to be handed out at random."

Feldon said:
I think the survivors must be better. After all, they are alive while their weaker comrades are dead aren't they.

But the dead 'uns are not wasted. When they burst open by the uncontrolled ingress of wort their innards spill out and become nutrients for the surviving yeast to feed upon.

Natural selection + cannibalism = yeast master race.
Natural selection+cannibalism= yeast master race + yeast autolysis.

Feldon said:
Its not the subjectivity that is in dispute, its the inaccuracy, inconsistency and randomness.

"Judging wines is by its nature subjective, but the awards appeared to be handed out at random."
I think some of that can be put down to subjectivity. One man's fine-grained tannin is another man's oak lollypop. But yeah "inaccuracy, inconsistency and randomness", we just described humanity as a whole there. It's no wonder we can't be on the same page in wine judging.

I also found, when I used to frequent wine shows, that each year there would be a theme for trophy winners. Be it a region, a style, a climate or whatever......we all love a fad,

GalBrew said:
I think some of that can be put down to subjectivity. One man's fine-grained tannin is another man's oak lollypop. But yeah "inaccuracy, inconsistency and randomness", we just described humanity as a whole there. It's no wonder we can't be on the same page in wine judging.

I also found, when I used to frequent wine shows, that each year there would be a theme for trophy winners. Be it a region, a style, a climate or whatever......we all love a fad,
Thing that struck me is the same judges were found to be all over the place when judging the same wines from the same bottles at the same tastings.

Its not about differences between judges, its about random variability within the flesh and blood of the same individual judges.

Same findings have relevance to beer tasting.

Feldon said:
Thing that struck me is the same judges were found to be all over the place when judging the same wines from the same bottles at the same tastings.

Its not about differences between judges, its about random variability within the flesh and blood of the same individual judges.

Same findings have relevance to beer tasting.

Another issue with wine tasting, is even if you spit (which I think is a crime against humanity), you will end up absobing quite a bit of alcohol through the dense network of blood vessels in your mouth and toungue. Don't tell me that after tasting a flight of around 80-100 wines in a day the average judge is 3 sheets to wind (or at least affected to a degree).

Interesting article about wine tasting. It reminded me of a documentary I watched recently about how colour influences our taste.

As part of an experiment to prove how peoples perceptions differ according to the colour of the food or drink they are consuming, a group of about 10 amateur wine tasters were each given a glass of red wine, well actually it was white wine with red food colouring added.

Every single wine taster describe the flavour and aroma etc, as if it was a red wine, not one of them even suspected that it was white wine.

I think we touched on it around page 340. :D

Focus on getting your mash pH, water profile and fermentation temperature (and of course sanitation) all sorted about before getting hung up on whether to rehydrate or not. I'm always wary that the re-hydration process is another avenue to introduce beer spoilage organisms unnecessarily (especially since I dont have to, according to the manufacturers directions), but more importantly yields a product in my opinion as superior as a liquid culture.

Dry Brewers Yeast
We stock a great variety of brewers yeast and we keep it fresh and refrigerated until it's sold. The use of a good quality yeast of the proper variety is very important. With dry yeast, always use at least 10 grams in a five gallon batch of beer or wine. This works out to one large pack or two small packs. You can't pitch too much yeast - using more just makes fermentation start quicker. Don't "rehydrate" dry yeast - just pitch it straight into the fermenter.
http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-yeast-dry.shtml

slash22000 said:
Here is a link to a cheap copy of the book if anybody is interested (not affiliated).

But as far as pitching at 24ºC or so, you will note from the article I linked as well that 35ºC - 40ºC in water was the optimal temperature for ~100% cell recovery.

Pitching into wort (at any temperature) kills dehydrated yeast (this is also covered in the article).
If pitching into wort kills dehydrated yeast, why in the fermentis FAQ does it state:

Rehydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream by sprinkling it in 10 times its
own weight of sterile water or wort. Gently stir and leave for 30 minutes.
Finally, pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

and

Fermentis yeast can be rehydrated with sterile water or sterile wort.
Whatever media is chosen it is compulsory to assure its sterility.

if then, they say wort is indifferent to water so long as its sterile, why would they suggest wort if it kills half the cells ?

confuzzzed...

Latest posts

Back