Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has attenuated so well, it is left unbalanced, dry and somewhat bitter. I have been waiting for it to drop but it is still hazy,

Its left a bad taste in my mouth which I suspect is from soaring temperatures as the posting rate was much more than adequate.
Maybe if we gave it a bit more time it could clean itself up a bit? Nah dump it.

Funnily enough this thread has converted me to re-hydrating.

I didn't know the science behind why it was recomended and had been told from experienced sources that is wasn't necessary so I didn't bother.
Got bored at work and decided to traull through this huge thread and learnt and thing or two.
Had a brew ready to be pitched so I gave re-hydrating a go, piece of piss to do & got good results so far with a quick healthy krausen.
My last few beers haven't reached expected FG so if this one does I will continue to stick with re-hydrating.

bradsbrew said:
This thread has attenuated so well, it is left unbalanced, dry and somewhat bitter. I have been waiting for it to drop but it is still hazy,
Rousing should save it?

QldKev said:
Does re-hydrating your yeast cause it to mutate?
not rehydrating it causes it to cringe and grimace... only the strong survive...

having said that, when making bread, you need to activate the yeast first by hydrating it in a mild glucose solution.

if wort is a killer, would a glucose solution be breakfast in bed to these little guys as opposed to a bland awakening in water ?

Dengue said:
having said that, when making bread, you need to activate the yeast first by hydrating it in a mild glucose solution.
uh....never seen that ever mentioned when making bread...

I've always used the 1 cup water to 1/2 flour rule for bread.

I have re-hydrated for bread......but never seen any refference to glucose...thats sort of going against what a vocal few have said here already...

Ok ladies and gentlemen.....lets go.........again

I've never seen the glucose reference before either.

I like coco-pops in the morning, I may try the yeast on that. :icon_drool2:

Making bread is an entirely different process and result anyway. Not sure why people are using it as a point of comparison. Any baker worried about excessive levels of isoamyl acetate in their ciabattata?

Well...not really...both processes convert sugar/starch into CO2 & alcohol.

You can use either yeast for brewing or bread making.( except bread yeast makes very ordinary beer) Lots of distillers use bread yeast cause its cheap and effective.....

Yes but what you expect from the yeast is different and the processes to get those results are completely different.

Bake your beer in an oven? The ethanol produced by yeast in bread is important to the final product? Pitch rates, oxygenation and
gravity got anything to do with baking?

So what if yeast gets activated in sugar water before being added to dough? Irrelevant to brewing. Might as well compare making apple pie to making cider.

flute+player.png

Latest posts

Back