Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad always said. You have a boy, you have one cock to worry about... You have a girl, you have thousands. Hence my ownership of firearms.

kids.jpg

slash22000 said:
Now that you've figured out an award winning recipe, it would be a good time to start working on improving your process to guarantee the best results!
I can't find anything (in the way of informed comments) in this thread that supports the idea that adequate pitching rates of rehydrated yeast is better than adequate pitching rates of sprinkled dry yeast.

$10 says his beer is better than yours.

Whether or not a dry pitched beer turns out alright is a matter of luck, but there's nothing saying it can't happen.
Not much longer than 3 weeks ago* you were claiming kit tins brewed at 30 degrees were 'never a problem', now you're lecturing people on yeast management?

Stu's initial statement is just plain incorrect and we all (should) know the theory behind why rehydration leads to more yeast cells and why more yeast cells are a good idea. However practical experience should never be discounted as long as it has a basis. People discount the 'my beer is fine' approach and mostly I think that is fair enough when there's nothing else to qualify it. However brewers of certain levels of experience, with a good understanding of theory should not be dismissed. I notice no-one arguing with Ross - presumably because it is assumed that he is an experienced brewer with a sound understanding of theory. Having tasted his (commercial) beers and spoken to him, I can confirm that is the case. You reckon he makes good commercial stuff but bad HB (or pot luck HB at best?)

I understand fully the concept behind rehydrating yeast properly and I strive to improve my beers all the time. I have learnt much from this site and many other sources and will continue to do so. I also strive to put theory into practice to see if it makes a discernible difference to my beers. You can understand all the theory in the world and use all the microscopy, spectroscopy and chromatography you like but the fact remains that the human palate is the final judge of a beer's worth.

Do I think you should rehydrate? Probably. I rarely do but I also very rarely use dry yeast at all because I have so many more choices with liquid. Do I think that brewers using practices that suit them so long as they are aware of alternatives and reasons should be respected? Yes. Ducati is wrong when he says yeast rehydrates better in wort but he is not wrong when he says that he doesn't feel the need to do it when he makes his beer.

*Hyerbole but not so long you don't need to remove the self righteous knowitall bee from your bonnet. Pipe down. You made your point eleven times already.

Shit idea for a thread in the first place but since it's here, I might as well add to it.

slash22000 said:
Almost certainly, Silver. Whether or not a dry pitched beer turns out alright is a matter of luck, but there's nothing saying it can't happen.
I"ve only entered into one comp and scored a 2nd prize. Your statement sounds like it's coming from a man standing behind a pulpit. There is less luck but indeed much dedication and attention to detail that churns out consistently good beer by one and all. I am sure you truly don't believe all the great brewers whose sprinkled beers have triumphed over the hydrated lot, have just gotten lucky. Really

I guess for a commercial brewer, the difference between using one hydrated, or two dehydrated kilos of dry yeast is only about 50-100 bucks, which is stuff all compared to the cost of the batch and every other expense. Bulk dry yeast is suprisingly cheap.

Plus less handling of infectable liquids is a bonus.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah.....well.....did you see the other thread....there are brewers who are still seeking psyciatric help and counseling over that one
nope, please link me, is it more entertaining than this one ?

Wow I have been reading this thread and there are a lot of people getting worked up about dry yeast.
I couldn't give half a shit if someone thinks pitching dry yeast is the way to go or not. In the end it's their beer and they have to drink it and pay more to pitch more yeast if brewing a lager at 1060 and up.
If your happy with your beer pitching dry yeast great. If you want to brew a bigger beer save some money and the risk of poor fermentation/ bad beer then just hydrate it.
What I'm getting at is just brew and make great beer and don't be to concerned with other people's opinions. Who doesn't want to save some money and drink nice beer?
Happy brewing and I have to say I don't hydrate. I don't pitch dry either. I don't use dry yeast :)

Gav80 said:
Wow I have been reading this thread and there are a lot of people getting worked up about dry yeast.
I couldn't give half a shit if someone thinks pitching dry yeast is the way to go or not. In the end it's their beer and they have to drink it and pay more to pitch more yeast if brewing a lager at 1060 and up.
If your happy with your beer pitching dry yeast great. If you want to brew a bigger beer save some money and the risk of poor fermentation/ bad beer then just hydrate it.
What I'm getting at is just brew and make great beer and don't be to concerned with other people's opinions. Who doesn't want to save some money and drink nice beer?
Happy brewing and I have to say I don't hydrate. I don't pitch dry either. I don't use dry yeast :)
The problem with that Gav, is how does a new home brewer learn how to brew using best practice? This PC, all brewing methods are equal, love-in crap, will make it impossible for anyone new to learn how to brew. We are up to 11 pages of people arguing over something that really should not be argued over. Dry pitch if you want, but explain why you choose to and the limitations of that decision. There are far too many 'flat earth' threads at the moment. I always thought the BIAB pioneers did a good job of explaining the benefits and limitations of what is surely not best practice but works well for many people, myself included......god i need to stop replying to this thread.

GalBrew said:
god i need to stop replying to this thread.
Tell me about it. It's like a public ball itch. You know it'll go away but damned if it don't feel good doing it!

OT
I remember when Pistol Pat ( gteat bloke if you ever get to meet him) was near hung drawn and quarted for even suggestion the idea if mashing with the total kettle volume ( + additional for grain absorbsion ) thus negating sparging....Those where wild days on AHB when what is now BIAB first kicked off

GalBrew said:
The problem with that Gav, is how does a new home brewer learn how to brew using best practice? This PC, all brewing methods are equal, love-in crap, will make it impossible for anyone new to learn how to brew. We are up to 11 pages of people arguing over something that really should not be argued over. Dry pitch if you want, but explain why you choose to and the limitations of that decision. There are far too many 'flat earth' threads at the moment. I always thought the BIAB pioneers did a good job of explaining the benefits and limitations of what is surely not best practice but works well for many people, myself included......god i need to stop replying to this thread.
More important than following best practices is understanding why those practices exist and what discernible differences following/not following will bring in reality. I think we are on the same page in many regards but I have less respect for someone who follows things by rote with no understanding of why than someone who tries and decides it's not worth it.

Droopy said:
The thought of bumping that thread crossed my mind :)
probably the most useful contribution to this forum in 100 posts you have made...not

manticle said:
More important than following best practices is understanding why those practices exist and what discernible differences following/not following will bring in reality. I think we are on the same page in many regards but I have less respect for someone who follows things by rote with no understanding of why than someone who tries and decides it's not worth it.
No, we are totally on the same page. I do not dare comment on things of a brewing nature anywhere unless I personally have both the theory and practical experience on a particular topic. Sure I read things first (and in depth) but if it doesn't work out in practice for me in the way I hypothesise based on my readings, I will keep my mouth shut. This is basically my day job, just not in brewing. The whole yeast thing is one area in my brewing where I have found improvements in taste coincide with improvements in process, that are based on previous research in the field (temp control, pitching rates, nutrient, starters, oxygenation etc.).

Ok guys.

please take a look at this blokes contribution to this place. Not this thread, this forum.

one liners to get his post count up. Or is this NickJD re-incarnated as a one-liner troll ?

droopy, please f*ck off and sort out your erectile dysfunction issue in the correct forum, surely they exist.

Ducatiboy stu said:
OT
I remember when Pistol Pat ( gteat bloke if you ever get to meet him) was near hung drawn and quarted for even suggestion the idea if mashing with the total kettle volume ( + additional for grain absorbsion ) thus negating sparging....Those where wild days on AHB when what is now BIAB first kicked off
Yep, there is some interesting reading in the archives, but the take home message I got from that was that yeah it is not the best way to make beer, but it is doable. The former not being present in this discussion.

Back