Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DucatiboyStu you are a legend.

I wish I could spark a thread with so much passion and controversy with something so simple as a belief on whether or not to hydrate dry yeast or not....

:super:

Dengue said:

I wish I could spark a thread with so much passion and controversy with something so simple as a belief on whether or not to hydrate dry yeast or not....

Belief has nothing to do with this. It has been demonstrated that dry pitching kills about half your yeast. You either choose to use the information or ignore it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
When using dry yeast I have never seen the need to re-hydrate first. Especially if done in plain water. The yeast will hydrate just as well in the ferm, if not better. Remember water has no nutrients so wont help it along. The wort has everything it needs to hydrate and get to work
I think he believes you dont have to rehydrate yeast before pitching.

I punched out a big AIPA on the weekend. Was too unorganised to split a pack of 1272 and make a starter in advance but had 2 packs of us05 in the fridge. Had planned to rehydrate but a mate came over with car troubles. I ran out of time and just sprinkled instead. Worried? No. Did it fail to start within 24hrs? No. Will I taste the difference? Unlikely.
The most convenient thing about dried yeast is the ability to use it in its dried form.
The predominant reason for the production of dried yeast ( happy to stand corrected) is for the convenience of its dried form.
If you're really that committed to producing the best beer from a homebrewing environment then there is a far greater range of liquid yeasts ( easily available) to help you get there. I love the convenience of dried yeasts but I love the flavour and variety of liquid yeasts even better. Should we start a new thread?

I believe the main benefit of dry yeast is its ability to be transported and stored for extended periods when compared to liquid (like under the lid of a tin of goo),

Gee. That sounds convenient.

Dengue said:

Yeah.....well.....did you see the other thread....there are brewers who are still seeking psyciatric help and counseling over that one

Camo6 said:
Why? Liquid yeast's short shelf life is a real pain in the ass. A pack of dry stuff can sit in the fridge for months no problems. Not only that think about how long it takes for liquid yeast to get here from the US and it doesn't really have and extended life (without using a multi-step starter). That is the great strength of dry yeast.

Camo6 said:
I punched out a big AIPA on the weekend. Was too unorganised to split a pack of 1272 and make a starter in advance but had 2 packs of us05 in the fridge. Had planned to rehydrate but a mate came over with car troubles.
Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

treefiddy said:
In addition, Danstar yeast can reproduce approximately 3 times without the need for oxygen.
Well, there you go. Gets better and better.

Anyone done any good in a comp with a dry sprinkled lazy arsed downgrade beer?

I know, I know. Procrastination is the thief of time and all that. Whoever came up with that old chestnut didn't have two girls under five, a mortgage and a severe alcohol dependance.

Camo6 said:
The predominant reason for the production of dried yeast ( happy to stand corrected) is for the convenience of its dried form.
GalBrew said:
I believe the main benefit of dry yeast is its ability to be transported and stored for extended periods when compared to liquid (like under the lid of a tin of goo),
Camo6 said:
Sounds like we're in complete agreeance then Galbrew. :lol:

Almost certainly, Silver. Whether or not a dry pitched beer turns out alright is a matter of luck, but there's nothing saying it can't happen.

Silver said:
Anyone done any good in a comp with a dry sprinkled lazy arsed downgrade beer?
Won firsts and seconds in the Coffs show with dry sprinkling (though it ain't the most prestigious honour)

sp0rk said:
Won firsts and seconds in the Coffs show with dry sprinkling (though it ain't the most prestigious honour)
Lemme guess, you coincidentally got last and second last?

Camo6 said:
I know, I know. Procrastination is the thief of time and all that. Whoever came up with that old chestnut didn't have two girls under five, a mortgage and a severe alcohol dependance.
Im hearing you brother...im hearing you...

Now that you've figured out an award winning recipe, it would be a good time to start working on improving your process to guarantee the best results!

Latest posts

Back