Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dengue said:
Ok guys.

please take a look at this blokes contribution to this place. Not this thread, this forum.

one liners to get his post count up. Or is this NickJD re-incarnated as a one-liner troll ?

droopy, please f*ck off and sort out your erectile dysfunction issue in the correct forum, surely they exist.
Hey, look at that. A fake account trolling a fake account.

Which brings me back to why I think noobs can learn from this - not because of Stu's error filled assumptions about yeast hydrating better in wort because of nutrients but because they have the benefit of the scientific theory and the ability to try it out for themselves and see what works in their brewery. No mollycoddling or all in love everyone high fives from me but no castigation of somene who puts their hand up and says 'yep, tried it, didn't notice a big benefit in my beer'.

Like I said - waste of time as a thread because it has already been discussed 8 million times but Slash has no right to be such a self righteous pill about it.

manticle said:
Like I said - waste of time as a thread because it has already been discussed 8 million times but Slash has no right to be such a self righteous pill about it.
Is there some kind of penalty box that I can sit in for a while so I'm allowed to comment without being mocked for my newbie posting almost a year ago? Jesus christ, I'm not even giving a personal opinion here, I'm not even pretending to be an expert, I've sourced everything I've said from PHD microbiologists and I'm still crucified for arrogance. Do we all need to brew for ten years and win a few dozen gold medals in comps before we can link to relevant information?

Yeah, Manticle is a know n00b-basher.

Maybe you're just a tit?

The problem with that Gav, is how does a new home brewer learn how to brew using best practice?

For one I would have to say a person new to brewing won't be bothered reading all this ridiculous drawl. There are plenty of other ways to gain great info, I found books to be my best source and then tried the practical things myself.
My comment wasn't directed at a new brewer and I never expected a new brewer to take away anything scientific about yeast but just to say chill out and have fun brewing instead of arguing about dry or hydrated pitching. Just do what you think and prove it to yourself.
I honestly think there are some people who just like to argue for sake of arguing and while its sometimes entertains to read at the end of the day its all bullshit.

Dengue said:
lol

smart man you are bum, give you that :D
Don't need to be particularly smart to figure that out.

Sorry bum, not trying to take any credit from you...

No you just need to stop repeating yourself like an arrogant evangelist at people who have not once argued with the theoretical side - just stated they tried it and didn't taste enough of a difference to warrant continuing.

Do you really think no-one else knows the science behind it?

We all know half the cells will die. What difference to taste that makes in someone else's beer is not something you can state with such certainty. I'm not sure Jamil is a phD microbiologist.

You can comment all you like - maybe just try doing it with humility.

Bang on Manticle, if I wanted to do a bigger beer than my std 5%ers I would be hydrating or building a starter.

OK guys. I have a serious question. Is it worth paying more for 1056 liquid yeast, instead of buying and using US05, the dry equivalent?

soundawake said:
OK guys. I have a serious question. Is it worth paying more for 1056 liquid yeast, instead of buying and using US05, the dry equivalent?
....then start a thread with this question, rather than taking this one any further off topic...

I used to pitch dry yeast directly into the fermenter, now I re-hydrate. Are my beers better? Probably, but that's because I now pay more attention to pitch rates, use yeast nutrient and oxegenate my wort alot more.

After reading the "Yeast" book and reading though this thread, I've decided that my re-hydration technique needs to be refined to get the most out of it. I'll now monitor the temperature of the water that I re-hydrate in and ensure it's within the manufacturer's guidelines.

So I suppose this thread was useful for me, shame I had to sift through so much garbage and the same points being raised over and over and over to get decent advice.

Cosh said:
...shame I had to sift through so much garbage and the same points being raised over and over and over to get decent advice.
Welcome to the internet, my friend.

slash22000 said:
Is there some kind of penalty box that I can sit in for a while so I'm allowed to comment without being mocked for my newbie posting almost a year ago? Jesus christ, I'm not even giving a personal opinion here, I'm not even pretending to be an expert, I've sourced everything I've said from PHD microbiologists and I'm still crucified for arrogance. Do we all need to brew for ten years and win a few dozen gold medals in comps before we can link to relevant information?

slash22000 said:
Whether or not a dry pitched beer turns out alright is a matter of luck,
Sounds like personal opinion to me.
Is also bullshit.

Back