Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my understanding that when yeast are re hydrating they cannot control what passes through the cell membrane, fully rehydrated they can, it's for this reason re hydrating in water is best for yeast health, it's a process I'm happy with doing..

Also, yeast are packaged with all the nutrients they need to get cracking so again, sterile water is best.

manticle said:
This was a really good idea for a thread. I wonder why no-one has thought of it before?
Re-Hydrating Yeast - General Brewing Techniques - Aussie Home ...
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/38-re-hydrating-yeast/

Re-Hydrating Yeast - posted in General Brewing Techniques: It was recommended to me I should rehydrate the yeast before using, I had no ...

Rehydrating Yeast - Kits & Extracts - Aussie Home Brewer
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/74390-rehydrating-yeast/

Page 1 of 2 - Rehydrating Yeast - posted in Kits & Extracts: How do i rehydrate Yeast? Thanks.

Rehydrating Dry Yeast - All Grain Brewing - Aussie Home Brewer
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/50665-rehydrating-dry-yeast/

Page 1 of 2 - Rehydrating Dry Yeast - posted in All Grain Brewing: Just after some advice on my rehydrated S05 yeast. Did my second AG ...

dry yeast rehydrating tip - avoid yeast clumps - General Brewing ...
aussiehomebrewer.com/.../73269-dry-yeast-rehydrating-tip-avoid-yeast- clumps/

dry yeast rehydrating tip - avoid yeast clumps - posted in General Brewing Techniques: hey guys, i read a trick (on another unnamed forum! )

Should I Re-hydrate Dried Yeast? - General Brewing Techniques ...
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59308-should-i-re-hydrate-dried-yeast/

Do we need to re-hyrdate yeast following John Palmers instructions show here.re -hydrate yeastOr with modern day yeasts is this something we ...

Rehydrating Dry Yeast - Conflicting Advice - General Brewing ...
aussiehomebrewer.com/.../36467-rehydrating-dry-yeast-conflicting-advice/

I also had a look at Craftbrewers yeast section. Now the two of them give conflicting advice. One wants me to rehydrate @ 27C the other 37C ...

Should I Cool Rehydrated Lager Yeast? - General Brewing ...
aussiehomebrewer.com/.../51943-should-i-cool-rehydrated-lager-yeast/

posted in General Brewing Techniques: With ale yeasts, I get away with just sprinkling dry yeast on the wort, but I want to rehydrate lager yeasts ...

Should I Re-hydrate Dried Yeast? - Aussie Home Brewer
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59308-should...hydrate...yeast/page-2

Basic Brewing Radio" podcast.http://www.basicbrew....php?page=radioEpisode: July 28, 2011 - BYO-BBR Yeast Rehydration Experiment.

Rehydrating Yeast - Aussie Home Brewer
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/34009-rehydrating-yeast/

Rehydrating Yeast - posted in General Brewing Techniques: Hi,Just after some reassurance/ advice please.I'm just about to put down a Pale ...

Rehydrating Yeast? - The Pub - Aussie Home Brewer
aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/1570-rehydrating-yeast/

Rehydrating Yeast? - posted in The Pub: Last night i put a 1.7Kg Stockmans Draught + 1.5Kg's Extra Pale Malt Extract down. I did not use any ...

JasonP said:
so you wouldnt do anything to improve your beer if you could? fair enough if you are happy, but i am always lookking to brew better beers.
Fair enough if I'm happy. Thanks. I think anyone who makes their own beer tries to achieve outcomes that not only impresses themselves but others as well.

GalBrew said:
So why do you frequent this forum, if not to improve your brewing?

Threads like this shit me to tears and contribute to the downturn in quality on this site.
Sorry, does not deserve a response.

Yob said:
It's my understanding that when yeast are re hydrating they cannot control what passes through the cell membrane, fully rehydrated they can, it's for this reason re hydrating in water is best for yeast health, it's a process I'm happy with doing..

Also, yeast are packaged with all the nutrients they need to get cracking so again, sterile water is best.
Yob, you are right. "During the first moments of rehydration, the cell cannot regulate what passes through the membrane. High levels of sugar, nutrients, hop acids, or other compounds can enter freely and damage the cell. This is why adding dry yeast directly to wort results in such a high percentage of dead and damaged cells". (Quoted from Yeast by White and Zainasheff)

There is more info in that book on page 146. There is allot of literature out there supporting the fact that it is better to rehydrate dry yeast. I cant seem to find any info in brewing books (not homebrew magazines) about rehydrating dry yeast not being necessary.

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
Stu, one good thing about your yeast threads is that it made me research more on my process. It has shown me how my arrogant ignorance towards yeast starters and rehydrating was exactly that, arrogant and ignorant towards healthy yeast pitching. I now calculate my yeast dependant on OG and size. Also been making starters and rehydrating where required.

Cheers
Ducatiboy stu said:
Exacty...Starting these thteads was not trolling....we have ALL learnt something...whether we choose to use the gained knowledge is not up to me
I like to think that Stu is conflicted in his views on the yeast threads.
On one hand he is playing devil's advocate, and on the other he partially believes his argument.

Do you always need a starter? No.
Would a starter benefit you? Probably.

Do you need to rehydrate yeast? No.
Would rehydrating yeast benefit you? Maybe.

NyqXrE8.png

No...

slash22000 said:
When does healthier yeast NOT benefit you?
Honestly I though Kai at braukaiser had evaluated yeast viability with regards to hydration medium and temperature but I can't find the link.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for healthy yeast and appropriate pitching rates.

bum said:
Brie.

Stu, give us your average starting gravity and temperature at time of pitch.

I have removed quite a few posts, too many people to PM. Please keep posts on topic.

Discussion and debate is good to read and can spark an individuals research. If you do not like or agree with the validity of the topic, there is no need to post. If you do not agree with any information posted, then post a valid rebuttal/reply.

bradsbrew said:
I have removed quite a few posts, too many people to PM. Please keep posts on topic.

Discussion and debate is good to read and can spark an individuals research. If you do not like or agree with the validity of the topic, there is no need to post. If you do not agree with any information posted, then post a valid rebuttal/reply.
My sincerest of apologies for making jokes....

bradsbrew said:

Debate about 2 methods of equal validity is indeed good for all. Arguing over why inferior methods should be used, when they have been shown to be as such is NOT good. Why do 'we' want the proliferation of sub-standard advice on this forum? It boggles the mind. Perhaps if dry pitchers mentioned the caveats surrounding their methods (such as 50% cell death) rather than just saying 'it's fine' or 'my beer tastes good' which are totally subjective measurements of quality, there wouldn't be a problem.

Is that stat correct, (such as 50% cell death)? It is common knowledge that 87.63% of all quoted statistics are just made up.

slash22000 said:
http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/rehydrating-dry-yeast-with-dr-clayton-cone/

~60% cell death pitching dehydrated yeast into 16ºC water. Wort would kill even more. Considering the average pitching temperature is around 18ºC in wort, 50% cell death is pretty much guaranteed.
So what are the documented stats for pitching into say, 24 deg C? Where does the info come from that determines the average pitching temp is 18 deg C? If one is talking kits in the warmer half of OZ I would be GUESSING around 25 deg C mark.

I am pretty new to the forum and I understand that there maybe some politics happening in this thread that I don't get, but this is not a proper discussion.

Summary of this thread
- Idea proposed that rehydrating dry yeast is not necessary
- Response is given of why it is beneficial with link to an article by an expert in the field on the subject (also provides an explanation of why it is different to rehydrating in the wort)
- Then no proper response from people that think rehydrating is not necessary, just a couple of responses that indicate that they either did not read the provided article or did not understand it.

A proper honest discussion would at least involve commenting on the article (why you think it is valid or invalid). State why you think the article is BS or acknowledge that it has some valid points that you did not realise.

just my 2c as this thread has started to piss me off

RB

Silver said:
So what are the documented stats for pitching into say, 24 deg C? Where does the info come from that determines the average pitching temp is 18 deg C? If one is talking kits in the warmer half of OZ I would be GUESSING around 25 deg C mark.
Silver, we are not re-inventing the wheel here. This is common knowledge (or should be) and has been proven through cell counting. Go out and get a copy of the Yeast book, by Jamil and Chris White and have a read. Or do a little reasearch elsewhere. Everytime you pitch dry you are underpitching by approximately half.

Latest posts

Back