Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Either way it ends hydrated
You gotta think about the fact that the yeast before packaging was de-hydrated and needs to be re-hyrdated before starting to get to work. Chucking it straight into the wort will indeed re-hydrate the yeast but it will also stress it out. Re-hyrdating the yeast in water (or small amount of sugary solution) will get the yeast ready to do their job withour shocking them too much

Maybe we can argue next about how you can make beer without temp control, or proper sanitation, so not to worry about it???

GalBrew said:
Maybe we can argue next about how you can make beer without temp control, or proper sanitation, so not to worry about it???
They were making good beer or thousands of years before "temp control, or proper sanitation".

Mardoo said:
Are we sure it was good?
Historical records show that good and bad beer was commonly determined by ale tasters in most towns in Europe. People were aware of the relative difference.

Stu, one good thing about your yeast threads is that it made me research more on my process. It has shown me how my arrogant ignorance towards yeast starters and rehydrating was exactly that, arrogant and ignorant towards healthy yeast pitching. I now calculate my yeast dependant on OG and size. Also been making starters and rehydrating where required.

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
Stu, one good thing about your yeast threads is that it made me research more on my process. It has shown me how my arrogant ignorance towards yeast starters and rehydrating was exactly that, arrogant and ignorant towards healthy yeast pitching. I now calculate my yeast dependant on OG and size. Also been making starters and rehydrating where required.

Cheers
Exacty...Starting these thteads was not trolling....we have ALL learnt something...whether we choose to use the gained knowledge is not up to me

Ducatiboy stu said:
Exacty...Starting these thteads was not trolling....we have ALL learnt something...whether we choose to use the gained knowledge is not up to me
Have you learnt something though??

I heard a show yesterday on RN about beer making in ancient mesopotamia (Iraq). No hygiene at all (or hops), their solution was drink it before it finished fermenting (through a straw). Why wait for it to go off?

Feldon said:
They were making good beer or thousands of years before "temp control, or proper sanitation".
Were they? I would assume to make that statement you were around way back when and sampled some fine medieval ales?

Probably tasted like asshole, but still got people drunk. Who knows? All I know is you use bad process you get bad beer.

Feldon said:
Historical records show that good and bad beer was commonly determined by ale tasters in most towns in Europe. People were aware of the relative difference.
You are basing your assertion on the flawed assumption that 21st century beer drinkers and ye olde 'ale tasters' had similar definitions of 'good beer'.

You have zero notion of their concepts of what was 'good', neither do I.

1000 years ago a 'good' house had a thatched roof, a dirt floor and full of livestock. Not my idea of classy digs.

Have only ever sprinkled onto wort and never had a problem. If it aint broke.

Silver said:
Have only ever sprinkled onto wort and never had a problem. If it aint broke.
so you wouldnt do anything to improve your beer if you could? fair enough if you are happy, but i am always lookking to brew better beers.

GalBrew said:
You are basing your assertion on the flawed assumption that 21st century beer drinkers and ye olde 'ale tasters' had similar definitions of 'good beer'.

You have zero notion of their concepts of what was 'good', neither do I.

1000 years ago a 'good' house had a thatched roof, a dirt floor and full of livestock. Not my idea of classy digs.
You weren't there either, but you have a lot to say about about the "asshole" beer they drank. I simply turn your own words back on you. By your own definition, you don't know either.

But there are many records from boroughs and other town administrations in the UK and elsewhere in Europe that identify beer quality as a major local issue. They knew the difference.

Good and bad are subjective, not absolute. What would a medieval monk think of modern beer, like VB?

Making good beer did not begin with the invention of the STC 1000 and Starsan.

Getting back to the OP's question:

If you want the good oil on car tyres don't ask a tyre maker, ask a race driver.

If you want the good oil on yeast don't ask a yeast maker, ask a brewer.

Which is what the OP did. Pity so many 'brewers' betray their craft by ingoring their own and other brewers' experience.

Edit: sp.

Feldon said:
You weren't there either, but you have a lot to say about about the "asshole" beer they drank. I simply turn your own words back on you. By your own definition, you don't know either.

But there are many records from boroughs and other town administrations in the UK and elsewhere in Europe that identify beer quality as a major local issue. They knew the difference.

Good and bad are subjective, not absolute. What would a medieval monk think of modern beer, like VB?

Making good beer did not begin with the invention of the STC 2000 and Starsan.

Getting back to the OP's question:

If you want the good oil on car tyres don't ask a tyre maker, ask a race driver.

If you want the good oil on yeast don't ask a yeast maker, ask a brewer.

Which is what the OP did. Pity so many 'brewers' betray their craft by ingoring their own and other brewers' experience.
Quality is all relative. That is why processes improve. At one point in time I'm sure people were arguing if this new crazy ingredient called hops should be put into ale. I guess you would have been against it as in your experience it was not necessary???

The real tradition of 'craft' anything is to make the best product possible.

Or not, whatever.......

GalBrew said:
Quality is all relative.
“And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good - need we ask anyone to tell us these things?”

Ducatiboy stu said:
How am I spreading misinformation...I am mearly stating MY point of view....I dont particularly care if you dont agree with me...that is your right...you may have noticed..when you take your blinkers off..that some others share the same view...

If it leads to healthy debate with the added gain of knowledge then it cant be a bad thing
You are merely blissfully ignorant and loudly sing songs of your bliss from the hilltops.

GalBrew said:
What are they learning though?
I have learnt to ignore scientific proof and trust in anecdotal evidence instead. Have also now decided to believe in God and creationism, rather than evolution.

Back