Rant - push in fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pist

Reaction score
These things are nothing but a pain in the arse. Got a check valve for my gas line yesterday from the lhbs which is all push in. No matter what i tried this little pos would not seal. Tubing was all the way in. Now im pretty sure it wasnt a genuine jg fitting, keg king job i think (black and red). Wont be using these at all jg or not

Bit harsh to be hating on JG fittings when you seem to be using an inferior copy.

Genuine JG fittings will have the "JG" logo on them. I use lots of them, never had a problem.

JG fittings work, never had an issue. Cheap knock offs have caused me much grief. Problem is that most knock off seem to be called John Guest fittings on web stores and even in my old LHBS. Trick is to find a decent supplier who'll sell you the real deal, or make sure you can see the logo on the fitting

I've got genuine JG fittings and I love them. Funny thing was recently I got some 4mm x 8mm beer line to help slow the flow on one of my taps, realized it says keg king on the side, no way am I using it. Get the genuine gear and enjoy for many years.

I guess ive been a victim of the lhbs poor product labelling then. They did call them a "john guest" fitting.

all my jg fittings are white. I've never had a problem with any that i haven't broken myself.

Also make sure that the tubing is cut clean and straight. Ensures the tube is pushed all the way in.

I have two genuine JG fittings that have jammed with proper tubing and the only solution is to cut it and discard the fitting. Complete pain in the arse.

Now i just presume that all fittings are going to leak and turn the CO2 bottle off.

I have the same fake JG fitting and found that the quality of the tubing makes a big difference. Cheap tubing had some slight leaks. Changed all lines to the softer Valpar Flexmaster and it seals perfectly. Have never had any issues with genuine JG fittings.

Genuine JG fittings use a little grey plastic insert that goes into the end of the tubing. This prevents squashing and poor fit, leading to leaks. Also they use a red circlip that holds the locking collar out preventing tube slip.

Anecdotally, they are generally used in tight locations that make access for removal a b@$t@7d.

Lemon

My method for tight JG fittings and their ilk:
Slide an appropriately sized ring (or flare) spanner over the tube and onto the locking ring then push tube in, compress the locking ring and pull apart. Sometimes I have to do it in stages and kind of creep them off. Have both JG and KK type. My KK's have never leaked but tear the crap out of the hose if you ever need to remove them. Never had a problem with the genuine John Guests.

barls said:
all my jg fittings are white. I've never had a problem with any that i haven't broken myself.
Most of their fittings are a cream colour, but not all. Some pieces, like shutoff valves can be white with blue or black. Some one way valves are white.

I always put a smear of keg lube on the tubing before pushing it in.
I find this helps with assembly as the tube slides in easily and I can separate the tubing and the fitting quite easily by pushing in on the grey locking ring and pulling the tubing out at the same time.

Spiesy said:
Bit harsh to be hating on JG fittings when you seem to be using an inferior copy.

Genuine JG fittings will have the "JG" logo on them. I use lots of them, never had a problem.

Blind Dog said:
JG fittings work, never had an issue. Cheap knock offs have caused me much grief. Problem is that most knock off seem to be called John Guest fittings on web stores and even in my old LHBS. Trick is to find a decent supplier who'll sell you the real deal, or make sure you can see the logo on the fitting
Here are my 'original', 'genuine' pieces of shit. This photo is from a post I put up years ago. 2 months they lasted. Sent an email to the HBS that sold them to me. Nothing but crickets. I didnt mishandle these. They fell apart in the fridge and I lost a full CO2 bottle. Investigations led to the below. Out of 6 of them, 5 were fucked.

Edit, heres a link to the original, so you can blow the picture up for easier viewing
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/25344-john-guest-fittings-seal-probs/?p=1098116

JG.jpg

I only just received my first ever JG fittings, not with standing above, I found them the easiest to set up ever. I got tap number 4 for the main keggerator, and within 2minutes I was pouring a beer, no boiling water , no swearing, and more importantly no leaks. Hope they do better than they did for mckenry.

i fitted up my first pushin part last night, one of the KK check valves.
lubed up the ends of the straight cut lines
slid in
tested in a bucket of water
no probs

the same cant be said for the KK Premium gas disconnect however, it was missing the top o-ring... so it leaked quite effectively.

I assume those who have had problems have carefully checked their tube diameters?? The common 3/8" fittings, the ones you will get from US sources are only 9.52mm in diam against the locally sourced 10mm fittings and tubes. Will be a similar scenario with different diameter tubes. When I hear stories about having to use boiling water to get the tubes to fit i reckon you are trying to force 10mm tube into a 3/8" fitting.

Wes

Latest posts

Back