Questions Questions Questions....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMc

Reaction score
ok Brew #2 is fermenting, temp seems stable at 20 degrees. :)

I have a number of XXXX Bitter tallies (750ml) screw top. Can I use these?
I will need a capper of some sort: any recommendations what to look for.
Was thinking of having a look in the brew shop in Nerang.

Also Forward thinking to Brew 3#
I fancy doing a Coopers Canadian Blonde

According to the website: Pale straw colour. Crisp pale malt aromas with a hint of spicy hops, clean pale malt flavours and a light-bodied palate that finishes with obvious hop bitterness. Perfect for summer drinking. Recommended to be mixed with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. Weight - 1.7kg, Colour - 70EBC, Bitterness - 420IBU

They recommend "Brew Enhancer 1" - what do you recommend (and why) bearing in mind I am a novice?
Also If I am fermenting at 20 degrees, what yeast should be looking for (and why?)

Sorry about the "and why's" - seems to be the best way to learn.

Lots of info here if you do a few searches, but here's my quick advice:

There's only one capper worth owning, the superautomatica. Safe and easy to use (works with crown seals and twist tops), will cost around $50-60.

Go with the Brew Enhancer 1 if you don't have many other ingredients close or a homebrew shop close, if you search on the forums here you'll see what it's made of and what's a better choice. Just start with the basics and when you're at the point where you know what you want in the beer (ie more head retention, more body than the last batch etc) you'll be able to make some informed decisions.

At 20 degrees I'd recommend the SafAle US-05, normally around $4-5 at homebrew stores. It's a much cleaner yeast (flavour wise) than the coopers kit one, especially under 20c.

[codebox]I have a number of XXXX Bitter tallies (750ml) screw top. Can I use these?

Was thinking of having a look in the brew shop in Nerang.[/codebox]

Hiya Mark, you know there is a shop in Ox too :D

To answer your bottle capper question

Grab one off ebay, there are always lots there for the picking. Of course you need to shift through the over priced ones, be perpared to pay $20.00.

http://tinyurl.com/yatxmpv

Batz

and if you are like me and hang around this forum to much you "will" turn to the darkside. "Resistance is futile" :lol:

borg.jpg

BYB

[codebox]I have a number of XXXX Bitter tallies (750ml) screw top. Can I use these?

Was thinking of having a look in the brew shop in Nerang.[/codebox]

Hiya Mark, you know there is a shop in Ox too :D

I do now, thanks. Must keep an eye out for it, we uase the superbutcher there occasionally.

According to the website: Pale straw colour. Crisp pale malt aromas with a hint of spicy hops, clean pale malt flavours and a light-bodied palate that finishes with obvious hop bitterness. Perfect for summer drinking. Recommended to be mixed with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. Weight - 1.7kg, Colour - 70EBC, Bitterness - 420IBU

They recommend "Brew Enhancer 1" - what do you recommend (and why) bearing in mind I am a novice?
Also If I am fermenting at 20 degrees, what yeast should be looking for (and why?)

+1 Daemon

Beg borrow or steal a lever action, adjustable height type capper, like the one Daemon suggests. Don,t bother with a bang it with a hammer type. This will only lead to tears and stitches. Lost beer and lost fingers. If it came to that, and better still, use recycled soft drink bottles.
As far as the beer enhancer, colour, bitterness, well, you'll have to discover what you like first, in a particular style then try to match it.This is probably best learned from drinking many, many beers. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I do now, thanks. Must keep an eye out for it, we uase the superbutcher there occasionally.

I've been there a few times. **Try and stay away from buying yeast and malts there mate. Yeast displayed on shelves and near expiration etc and over priced.

** From personal experience and please do as you wish!....as I and we all do :p

I'm in Coomera as well. Must swap a beer or two one day.

I've been there a few times. **Try and stay away from buying yeast and malts there mate. Yeast displayed on shelves and near expiration etc and over priced.

OK so where should I shop then?

I'm in Coomera as well. Must swap a beer or two one day.

What the address? I'll be there in about 15 minutes......?

On a more serious note, once I have a few brews under my belt I'd love to swap a few.

Hi Mark,

Can help u out here for all the Q's

+10000 for the superautomatica....dont waste your time/money on anything else. You will NEVER regret owning one of these
With a capper like this you can use any screw top beer bottle. Almost all my bottles are screw top, never a problem at all.

Go for it...I have brewed this a bit and its nice. I used Brew Ench #2, but whatever, either way both will be nice. I like BE2 as it has a bit more malt i think...adding to body etc. I added 500g of dextrose, only cause I wanted more alc, but be aware it will detract a little from the body of the beer, but hey...its all good :) I now add some hops, (look up various hops and their flavour types if u want to venture into that) but up to you if you want to head into that. Once you do, you will never turn back :D....I am now about to move to using partial grain recipies, so I feel that All grain is only a year away (at max)....and I swore I would never AG....far out!! haha

Either way, do the brew, Canadian blonde is an easier beer to drink, yes...a summer beer. Some here would scoff at it, but really, its whatever floats your boat. I just used the kit yeast and was more than happy with that. I have never tried another yeast with that kit though

Dont be......you're amongst friends :D

OK so where should I shop then?
I find the Oxenford shop (in the courtyard area by the Post Office and Op Shop) fine if what you're after is non-supermarket kits or bits of equipment, but Cube said, look at expiration dates - caveat emptor and all that. If you're desperate for a capper and don't want to shell out for one yet, I'm not brewing at the moment so flick us through a PM as I'm also close by.

Cheers,

microbe

Ooohhhh, seems like there's a few of us here in Coomera.....

Might need to get some dead meat & few brews goin soon eh?

Dead meat and beer? Sounds good to me, just not too dead though, eh?

Cheers,

microbe

And get a bloody club going while you're at it so we Brisbanites can have some competition in the State comps :)

I'm in the posh end of Coomera - "Royal Coomera Waters spa" (pommy joke) Its a bit expensive for my liking but its keeping the rain off the brew for now, where are you lot?

Dead meat sounds good, rare to medium on the cow please....

not sure about posh, i am near bi-lo

am sure we can get a do goin soon

You've got to remember he's moved here from England. These flash underground sewerage systems we've got here are posh as.

You've got to remember he's moved here from England. These flash underground sewerage systems we've got here are posh as.

That is right. Its nice not having to dodge buckets of shit being thrown from 1st floor windows in to the open channels... :icon_vomit: We should have left the convicts there and moved the rest of the people over here.

I'm halfway between the State School and the Coles.

Well, I think it would be good to get together with some like minded people around here soon. Have a chat, a beer & all.

Maybe someone round here is more experienced & can organise a brew day for us noobers. :beer:

Latest posts

Back