Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Chris,

Ive always wrapped 3 bottles in a bit of bubble wrap and used a 3 kg express satchel, from memory they cost about $10. How many bottles do you plan to enter? Hopefully someone else has some tips on mailing larger numbers.

Cheers
Jye

Jye or Chad or other comp organisers,

Just has a look through the rules etc....

Theres no mention of bottle cap type or if the entries need to be de-gassed before entry.

Which brings me to.....Are the beers being judged cold or warm?

PB :unsure:

Are these temps what they will be judged at ??

Judging will be carried out at appropriate serving temperatures for the beers, typically 812C for ales and 57C for lagers.

Cheers Brad

Are these temps what they will be judged at ??

Judging will be carried out at appropriate serving temperatures for the beers, typically 812C for ales and 57C for lagers.

Cheers Brad

Thanks Brad,

That's great to know.

I was about to degass my bottles and change the crown seals to be gold ones.

Don't wan't to do this if I don't have to. Anyone??

PB

Thanks Brad,

That's great to know.

I was about to degass my bottles and change the crown seals to be gold ones.

Don't wan't to do this if I don't have to. Anyone??

PB

PB, Your tops are fine - Beers are being judged cold. up to you whether you degas or not.

cheers Ross

Hey Chris,

Ive always wrapped 3 bottles in a bit of bubble wrap and used a 3 kg express satchel, from memory they cost about $10. How many bottles do you plan to enter? Hopefully someone else has some tips on mailing larger numbers.

Cheers
Jye

Thanks Jye. Was planning on entering 2. Finding it hard to let go of the pet's tho! Its silly as they only cost $1 each but I guess it's the ownership thing I 'spose! As such I'm drinking a few nice locals and keeping the bottles and they will become my 'comp bottles in future.

Might have to organise a comp, sounds like a great way to collect some bottles ;)

If I get time tomorrow they'll be in the post, otherwise next time!

Thanks Jye. Was planning on entering 2. Finding it hard to let go of the pet's tho! Its silly as they only cost $1 each but I guess it's the ownership thing I 'spose! As such I'm drinking a few nice locals and keeping the bottles and they will become my 'comp bottles in future.

Might have to organise a comp, sounds like a great way to collect some bottles ;)

If I get time tomorrow they'll be in the post, otherwise next time!

Having had experience in losing a box of competition entries throught australia post [phonecall from Australia Post: " Hello mr Wharton? We have a box here sent by you that is very wet and seems to rattle a lot..... was it fragile?"], I highly recommend you only send PET bottles <_< . They won't need bubble wrap - just pack them in with bundled newspaper to stop them rolling around. Tape up the box well.

Cheers - Snow.

If I find a bottle or two of something in the shed I may put a Belgian in, don't bottle much [bugger all] and as for what it is when bottled :huh: no system here.
one bottle of cherry wit could go in [I am sure it's a dry cherry wit :p ] is there an "out there category" for say for a Saison stout? :lol:

And I hate/refuse to bottle from the keg if it is going to be in the bottle more then a day, they are never the same.

Having had experience in losing a box of competition entries throught australia post [phonecall from Australia Post: " Hello mr Wharton? We have a box here sent by you that is very wet and seems to rattle a lot..... was it fragile?"], I highly recommend you only send PET bottles <_< . They won't need bubble wrap - just pack them in with bundled newspaper to stop them rolling around. Tape up the box well.

Cheers - Snow.

Ah yes... I forgot to say I only send PET bottles :)

Binidi, it looks like you have the speciality class all wrapped up :D

My first comp, and I'm entering 6 beers, all in plastic bottles; will be dropping off at craftbrewer tomorrow.

Looking forward to feed back and hopefully a prize or two.
AC

Hello all,

I have only been brewing since March and sent an Entry in, an Irish Red Ale style, is definetly the best beer ive done out of the 12 so far.. :icon_cheers:

I wasnt going to, but thought its only 2 bottles im sending in, $5 entry and postage and would be interesting to see what is said about it, also I think you get a Credit Card bottle opener with your feedback so thats alright.

Who knows, could get a place, blind tasting is the way to go, no-one is biased then.. :super:

Found some bottles in the shed, only a few, some 12 months old, not sure if I put the labels on the right bottles :unsure: so when a judge opens a Saison he/she might be surprised by the POR and cluster [or whatever] smell and taste of the Aust Ale mix up :lol: no idea what I have put in, only there to make up numbers for this one.
I promise to take the next one serious...... :rolleyes:

Edit: Forgot to give Screwtop the entry fee, bugger, I will pay you back Screwy if you pay. :wacko:

my first comp i'm enter too. probably going to enter 7 entries. what time does the Craftbrewer shop shut tomorrow?

so we have untill 5pm tommorrow to get the entries to Craftbrewer?
Is this correct?

Sqyre..

Don't scare me guys. Haven't even bottled any yet! Saturday by 5pm (Ross shuts at 1pm).

Just a reminder, those interested in entering beer into this competition need to have there beers to Ross' shop "Pub Shop" at 3285 Logan Road, Underwood, Qld 4119 Or posted to Adrian Levi
PO Box 570
Springwood Qld 4127

OR

Delivered to any Brewers Choice homebrew store
See Brewers Choice for locations

by 5.00pm the 6th September 2008.

Good luck and check http://www.qabc.org.au for any further details.

Adrian

so we have untill 5pm tommorrow to get the entries to Craftbrewer?
Is this correct?

Sqyre..

All entries are due by Saturday the 6th at Brewers Choice or Craftbrewer and I believe Craftbrewer closes at 1 pm on Saturday.

Ill be dropping my entires off on Saturday so might catch a couple of you guys there.

Sorry if i paniced anyone, i wasn't sure when the close off was. :huh:
So does Ross except the entry payment? or do i just send the cash along with the bottles?

Sqyre..

Sorry if i paniced anyone, i wasn't sure when the close off was. :huh:
So does Ross except the entry payment? or do i just send the cash along with the bottles?

Not sure Sqyre, but the guys that dropped off their entries last weekend while we were there for the bulk buy had popped their cash in an envelope with their entries, all in the one box.

Cheers,

GT

Back