Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
AABC.PNG

Its my pleasure to announce the QABC for 2008 :beer:

This year is not only going to be the biggest for the QABC but quite possible one of the largest competition in Australia with over $5000 worth of prizes. Ranging from a credit card bottle opener and a ticket in the Luck Entry Prize for every entry received to champion brewer receiving a full package to the ANHC conference in Melbourne.

Entries are only $5 and judging will be held at The Brewhouse on the 20th of September (entries close on the 6th of September).

So get brewing to have your chance at winning your share of great prizes B)

<_< <_< Not into comps but I have cheery beer that is as dry as soot and very nice [fart soot after drinking it], plus other others may enjoy, but as for style....... B) .

Saved the entry form just in case.

I'm really looking forward to this! It will be my first comp, and im very keen to get some feedback!

Troydo

Same here Troydo. Just gotta start planning what to brew.

Your going DOWN Kram! haha

Im in the same boat, i have a few i already know i want to brew again and a couple i have had in planning for a while!

This is also the qualifier for the AABC, so a result in the QABC not only means heaps of great prizes but also a shot at being the Aussie Champ. With a strong state comp like this one I think that finally Queensland brewers will be in a position to turn around previous disappointing national results and show the cockroaches, mexicans and whatever tag we hang on the Canberrians what this state is truly capable of!!

Some serious brewing starting next week for this.... 1st two off the ranks, a Dopplebock & Baltic Porter. Should be just enough time to get a little age on them before the comp.

cheers Ross

Apart from feedback, is it worth it for brewers without pumps and filters etc. I brew a pretty nice lager but my stuff is bottle carbonated with no filtering so I don't reckon I'd be competitive.

Or, does that come back to strategy, i.e brew some darks?

Just a thought, the main thing I'd like is feedback.

Apart from feedback, is it worth it for brewers without pumps and filters etc. I brew a pretty nice lager but my stuff is bottle carbonated with no filtering so I don't reckon I'd be competitive.

Or, does that come back to strategy, i.e brew some darks?

Just a thought, the main thing I'd like is feedback.

Appearance represents only 3 of the 50 points available for each entry.

T. With a strong state comp like this one I think that finally Queensland brewers will be in a position to turn around previous disappointing national results and show the cockroaches, mexicans and whatever tag we hang on the Canberrians what this state is truly capable of!!

Go you Cane Toads. The 2020 summit failed to have a motion to expel you from the Commonwealth, so you are here to stay. Brew hard and perspire.

Go you Cane Toads. The 2020 summit failed to have a motion to expel you from the Commonwealth, so you are here to stay. Brew hard and perspire.

Another quality post.......... <_<

Anyway, am aiming to get 4 brewed over the long weekend which I have in mind to send down.

Cheers.

If i had more fridge space then i would brew multiple concurrently but as it stands it will just be 1 every week or 2

Thanks Paul

I think I have my entry in the fermenter now
I use no filtering on any of my lagers. After I bottle and make sure they're carbonated, I store them in the fridge as cold as possible for 2 or more months ... they come up crystal clear. The Stewards at the QABC are highly trained professional (drinkers) and will ensure each beer is poured carefully to present it at it's best. I also understand that judges are tolerant of a little yeasty haze as they understand many entries have had to travel.

Can hardly wait!
i get the feeling the 20th of september will be a fun time for all!

i want to see lots of Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, Baltic Porters, Tripels and Doppelbocks..

i want to see lots of Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, Baltic Porters, Tripels and Doppelbocks..
.. and I want to see if you make it past lunch time still awake :lol:

I will have a Baltic that will be 1 year old at the time of comp, and a Tripel which won't be too far off the 1 year mark, ready to go.
Now... is it too late to start a Barleywine? ;)

What's the general 'rule' on bottles? Are Coopers tallies fine?

Right, this year I'm in with a few entries B)

What's the general 'rule' on bottles? Are Coopers tallies fine?
Details of all that sort of thing are in the T&C on the site, but short answer - Yes.

Back