Qabc Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
APAs were strong, but apparently stouts and porters were extremely well represented.

Sort of following on from that and just wondering, was there any particular categories that got swamped with entries at the Babbs annual?
One would expect APAs to be a favorite.
Daz

From memory*, the two biggest categories were Pale Ales/Bitters and Stouts/Porters with 16 entries in each. American Ales were also up there.

*Note: memory might not be so good :p

Quote : "Any body who put's in a APA is a Girlie Boy".
Arnie S B)

Yeah GB you are one to talk
We know that you are holding secret supplies of Pro Culture Wood Ale so that the WA brewers can nuke the ale classes.

Hey?

Hmmm?

;)

After testing it on some astute dark ale drinkers, I want to enter in my dark ale.

Two qu's:

1. Are Dark Ales represented well in Qld, based on past results?
2. It has approx 10% or so cherry in it (some honey as well). but all testers have not noticed a major cherry flavour or aroma. Accordingly, I could enter it in as a robust porter (based on numbers) or as a class 18 fruit beer. Which would yield the better result for Qld?

I'm also entering in an American IPA.

To be honest, I couldn't give a damn about whether I get a result for me, because to be honest, it's my first comp and I'm looking for feedback more than anything. But when it becomes a State v State thing, then that's another thing!

After testing it on some astute dark ale drinkers, I want to enter in my dark ale.

Two qu's:

1. Are Dark Ales represented well in Qld, based on past results?
2. It has approx 10% or so cherry in it (some honey as well). but all testers have not noticed a major cherry flavour or aroma. Accordingly, I could enter it in as a robust porter (based on numbers) or as a class 18 fruit beer. Which would yield the better result for Qld?

I'm also entering in an American IPA.

To be honest, I couldn't give a damn about whether I get a result for me, because to be honest, it's my first comp and I'm looking for feedback more than anything. But when it becomes a State v State thing, then that's another thing!

If it has 10% cherry in it you better enter it in the specialty class, in any other class it will be out of style. Your best bet is the clas 18 fruit beer, keep in mind that the judges at the QABC, would (one would hope) have better palletes than your mates.

cheers

Browndog

I'm happy to either steward or judge. I found the judging of the BABBs annual comp enlightening.

So who do I hassle to let them know I'm available?

I'm happy to either steward or judge. I found the judging of the BABBs annual comp enlightening.

That's it I'm not entering !

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Liam is the assistant to the Head Judge Geoff and responsible for getting a list of Judges together, he will be back from OS in a day or two. You could PM him, or I'll let him know regardless. Thanks for puytting your hand up.

cheers

Browndog

I'm happy to steward again, I think I've put my name down somewhere :unsure: .
Its a good day.

Thanks Tony, will let him know I'm available.

Liam is the assistant to the Head Judge Geoff and responsible for getting a list of Judges together, he will be back from OS in a day or two. You could PM him, or I'll let him know regardless. Thanks for puytting your hand up.

cheers

Browndog

I'll be working Sat and Sun, in the Valley but will be available for stewarding in the mornings and hop a train to the Valley early to mid afternoons to start work.

The most miserable day of my year.
At the Platform Bar, surrounded by craft beer.
Only able to drink water

OOOOHHHHHH the humanity :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll be working Sat and Sun, in the Valley but will be available for stewarding in the mornings and hop a train to the Valley early to mid afternoons to start work.

The most miserable day of my year.
At the Platform Bar, surrounded by craft beer.
Only able to drink water

OOOOHHHHHH the humanity :eek: :eek:

I felt for you last year, at least I got to have a few beers at the end :drinks: .

Well I am glad the current bitter is better than the one that scored me a donut at BABBS............well so far anyway -_-

I'm thinking of entering a Gose in the 18. Specialty Beer Category, but which style? 18.2 seems like its natural home but perhaps it belongs in 18.7 with its historical links and traditional elements? But is it historic when its still commercially produced in Germany and the States (and here sometimes)? :unsure:

Bah, I should just brew more easily categorised things like Milds.

Back