Punters Knocking My Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
Here are my taps....
6139311666_40d02238ff_m.jpg

Now last Saturday night I had 18 people at home sharing the odd drop or two. However, on several occassions my taps were bumped and all up I reckon I lost 1-2 litres to the towel under them!!

Does anyone have any clue on how to stop the taps from being bumped without using a barricade. I understand it also depends how clumsy someone is but once they are on then they don't spring shut and even though I like that option it can be a pain when someone hits them. What really shits me is they just stare at it dumb-founded while the precious is spewing all over the floor!! :angry:

I reckon just get a few bollards. We got several from bunnings a while back, for horses not beer though.
They were around $18 each i think.

bollard.jpg

Elastic band tied to small screw/hook on the inside of the collar through the lid seal. You can still pull a pint, but then the handle will be pulled back. When there's no-one around you don't need em.

So the punters are able to knock the taps forward, mainly with their elbows, simply because they are clumsy and have not been around beer taps at a low height before?

What about a hoop of some sort as a bit of a bumper bar to stop the taps being knocked but that still allows you to get your hand in there? Conceptual picture below:

Bar_taps_hoop.jpg

Option a. Get new friends
Option b. Insult current friends until they understand that wasting said precious is considered a sin.

A stainless steel bath towel rail could also work!

Nice set up btw.

Have a drip tray that drains to a bucket. Anyone that knocks a tap has to drink whatever is in the bucket.

Attach car battery to steel handles... none shall bump

I think the friends need retraining

What about a hoop of some sort as a bit of a bumper bar to stop the taps being knocked but that still allows you to get your hand in there? Conceptual picture below:

View attachment 49669

What a good idea. I will try the scull bucket of "Mark ******* technique" first and failing that, I might knock something up as to your design. Some times I think beyond the simple things.
Thanks

easy way don't invite them :rolleyes: dont they self close
Celli's don't self close. Well, mine don't anyway.

Have a drip tray that drains to a bucket. Anyone that knocks a tap has to drink whatever is in the bucket.

Thanks MB - I'll try this first. Very simple and I like the idea and it could create some laughs as well.

Celli's don't self close. Well, mine don't anyway.

I'm pretty sure my celli's self close. Have yours never self closed? Is it possible there is some gunk in them making them stick open?

Looks like I'll have to have a beer tonight to check how mine work. :)

punch them in the face, im sure they will quickly learn :)

maybe a nice looking stainless spring mechanism....thats a real pain in the arse, we all know that HB is a precious resource and cant be wasted with such careless disregard for the time and effort required to produce such product.

yep kick them in the groin too :)

I'm pretty sure my celli's self close. Have yours never self closed? Is it possible there is some gunk in them making them stick open?

Looks like I'll have to have a beer tonight to check how mine work. :)

Nope there is no gunk in them, 3 are still brand new and have never had anything through them at all (they don't even have a line to them yet.) I have been using 2 taps and none of the 5 self close. You pull forward to pour then push back to the start to close. Too far back and they will give a creamy head. HERE is a link to them, I got them from CB.

Could always move the taps to somewhere more sensible :rolleyes:

Wait till someones kid decides to have a play and tells no=one they didn't know how to shut it back off. :(

Wait till someones kid decides to have a play and tells no=one they didn't know how to shut it back off. :(

slightly off topic (and not a solution to the op's question) but:

Exactly the reason (and the only reason) why i shut the gas off to my taps at the end of the session, and only put it back on when the pour starts to slow down.

I'm paranoid about losing a keg of beer and an empty gas bottle too. Atleast if the gas is turned off, all i'll lose will be the batch of beer which costs infinitely less than the gas bottle.

dont worry I had blokes around my place on the weekend and my taps are on top ..kegerator.
They still managed to spill beer everywhere.
2 kegs were drunk in one session...there were 6 of us.

Latest posts

Back