Punters Knocking My Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now last Saturday night I had 18 people at home sharing the odd drop or two. However, on several occassions my taps were bumped and all up I reckon I lost 1-2 litres to the towel under them!!

Does anyone have any clue on how to stop the taps from being bumped without using a barricade. I understand it also depends how clumsy someone is but once they are on then they don't spring shut and even though I like that option it can be a pain when someone hits them. What really shits me is they just stare at it dumb-founded while the precious is spewing all over the floor!! :angry:

Nothing worse than seeing all your hard work literally going down the drain due to ignorance. I counted about 10L lost (from 6 taps) at a wedding I brewed for recently. Admittedly, most was towards the end of the night when much had already been drunk, but seriously, who walks away from a tap without turning it off :huh: . Multiple times :angry: . That's the problem with people who think "homebrew" is "cheap" and don't appreciate the time and effort that some of us put into it.

At home, I'm usually close by to the kegerator, so I'm lucky not to have had the problem there.

Hope you find a solution to your problem. The elastic band idea suggested by argon sounds like it could be a good one if you can get it to work. Although, don't Celli taps pour when pushed back as well? Or am I thinking of a different tap...

Cheers,
tallie

Nothing worse than seeing all your hard work literally going down the drain due to ignorance. I counted about 10L lost (from 6 taps) at a wedding I brewed for recently. Admittedly, most was towards the end of the night when much had already been drunk, but seriously, who walks away from a tap without turning it off :huh: . Multiple times :angry: . That's the problem with people who think "homebrew" is "cheap" and don't appreciate the time and effort that some of us put into it.

At home, I'm usually close by to the kegerator, so I'm lucky not to have had the problem there.

Hope you find a solution to your problem. The elastic band idea suggested by argon sounds like it could be a good one if you can get it to work. Although, don't Celli taps pour when pushed back as well? Or am I thinking of a different tap...

Cheers,
tallie

Tell em its the same price as petrol.

They wouldn't leave the petrol bowser gushing now would they... no in fact, they'd probably catch every damn drop

Personally I get annoyed with people who think they *have* to have the beer foam and overflow for a good pour

Tell em its the same price as petrol.

They wouldn't leave the petrol bowser gushing now would they... no in fact, they'd probably catch every damn drop

Personally I get annoyed with people who think they *have* to have the beer foam and overflow for a good pour

Me too. I think it's picked up from watching the barmen / women in pubs that love overflowing the beer, sticking the god damn tap nozzle right into it etc. I find it disgusting and can't understand why they don't just fill the beer up to the top and never let the tap touch the beer in the glass!

Me too. I think it's picked up from watching the barmen / women in pubs that love overflowing the beer, sticking the god damn tap nozzle right into it etc. I find it disgusting and can't understand why they don't just fill the beer up to the top and never let the tap touch the beer in the glass!

That's on top of the food safety law violation that placing the tap end into the beer for consumption / making contact with the glass brings. Bar staff. Honestly, just a total lack of training.

New friends would be my suggestion. A bumper bar would be a good idea, or spring close? No reason why you can't get self close happening.

The elastic band idea suggested by argon sounds like it could be a good one if you can get it to work. Although, don't Celli taps pour when pushed back as well? Or am I thinking of a different tap...

Cheers,
tallie

Yes cellis pour when pushed back as well but you can feel where the tap is supposed to stop. If you push too far back and let go it will spring close but not when you pour "normally".
I'll give Ross a ring tomorrow and see what he thinks.

My Celli's self close very easily, not 'springy' but not far off, it must be adjustable somewhere. Try dropping CB an email.

I wonder if there are different models???... I don't think so though, just different material they are made from. I'll ring Ross tomorrow, he will know.
I really don't mind them not self closing it is just the dopey dicks that bump them open then think nothing of it. :angry:

My Celli's self close very easily, not 'springy' but not far off, it must be adjustable somewhere. Try dropping CB an email.

I have contacted CB now and for future queries etc. the SS Cellis are not self closing. Chrome ones do because they are designed with the home brewer in mind but the Stainless Steel are commercial grade and are designed to stay open so hospitality staff can walk away with the taps open if need be.

I really don't mind this feature and they feel great when in use. Just a problem of when people/kids bump them.

Back