159 year old pub illegally demolished Melb.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridges

Reaction score
Arsehole developers in Melbourne knocked over a 159 year old heritage listed pub on the week end. No doubt it will end up being apartments and the developers are already probably laughing at the max fine of $200,000. The fact they purchased a heritage listed site makes them custodians that should care for the history of buildings like this, not vandals that think the rules don't apply to them for some reason. I don't know if it will help but please sign this petition a group of Melb Uni. students are running. Buildings like this shouldn't be lost. So maybe if enough people show how upset they are it will convince a politician or two they should care.
By the way, this was never my local, I don't even think I've drank there, but I am still seething that someone's local, and a very old one full of character and history has been lost.

Like you said,laughing at a max fine of $200,000..... Mongrels.

Should have licence/ability to develop revoked unequivocally.

Normally I hesitate to comment so dogmatically based on a single news article but I'm breaking my own rule. Cynical, bullshit move by the developer, hope their venture fails miserably.

That fine needs to be more of a deterrent. Something like 50% of the future market value should make them think twice.

Only effective deterrent would be to take away right to develop.
Like losing car license.

Same for petrochemical companies destroying 10,000+ year old* rock art/petroglyphs in murujuga and other places.

*likely minimum age, possibly twice that or more.

manticle said:
Only effective deterrent would be to take away right to develop.
Like losing car license.

Same for petrochemical companies destroying 10,000+ year old* rock art/petroglyphs in murujuga and other places.

*likely minimum age, possibly twice that or more.
How is that even possible? Seriously. If I walked into the NGA and destroyed blue poles I'd think I'd be locked up for a very long time. Same thing really.

There have been many crimes against cultural heritage that have gone unpunished or lightly punished.
Murujuga is not the only one, but it is one of the worst as far as this country goes (and given our current understanding of what incorporates cultural heritage).

Anyway not wanting to thread hijack. People can do their own research.

spog said:
Like you said,laughing at a max fine of $200,000..... Mongrels.
Apparently the Council has the ability to push the fines to 1 million, and intends to if their investigation doesn't rule it out. Bit better, but I'd agree with the suspension of permission to develop.

A member of the Taliban hamming it up next the freshly dynamited 5th century wonders that were Buddhas of Bamiyan.
Can we lock them up to?

130131-bamiyan-talib.660;660;7;70;0.jpg

They believe in an eye for an eye so maybe they should be blown up too!

This Carlton demolition is just like the bad old days in Brisbane under Bjelke-Petersen when the developers would demolish classified buildings during the night and nothing was ever done about it.

I reckon they should forfeit the property and be required to restore the site to it's original condition. Plus a couple of years to think about it in jail.

I work in heritage consultancy. This seems to happen once every few years. It really pisses me off that we are losing our heritage piece by piece. People just don't get the fact that it can be super valuable and used by developers as an value adding asset to their projects.

The fines were lifted to $1M here is WA recently for historic heritage. It's enough to determine most. The Aboriginal heritage act is a joke though. From memory only one person has ever been prosecuted since its introduction in 1972.

Bruer said:
I work in heritage consultancy. This seems to happen once every few years. It really pisses me off that we are losing our heritage piece by piece. People just don't get the fact that it can be super valuable and used by developers as an value adding asset to their projects.

The fines were lifted to $1M here is WA recently for historic heritage. It's enough to determine most. The Aboriginal heritage act is a joke though. From memory only one person has ever been prosecuted since its introduction in 1972.
That's what my Mrs does, Aboriginal Heritage and you're right.

Liam_snorkel said:
and it's been recently wound back in WA hasn't it, to make way for mining leases or something? Disgraceful.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/what's-sacred-now/6549614
Not yet. The Libs have had it on the proposed bills for debate for a while is the state parliament. The other major parties (including the Nationals) are against it. The Government recently lost a case in the high Court regarding the de-registering of a site in the Harbour of Port Hedland. Now the DAA (Dept of Aboriginal Affairs) is pretty cagey. Not sure what's going to happen moving forward.

The problem is the that Act isn't about protecting Aboriginal Sites anymore and has descended to just being a process to ensure disturbance (read: destruction) of sites. Approval is given to pretty much every site the mining companies ask to disturb.

TL:DR - built European heritage in WA - protection not bad. Aboriginal Heritage legislation - viewed as "red tape" to the prosperity of the state's mining companies.

I was told today that the site that the poor old corkman pub used to stand on has been slapped with a " green ban" ?
Green belt? Which apparently means that the shit head builder who did it isn't allowed to build on it. Not sure of the full details.

should be laws to slap an order on it making the fuckers rebuild it or if they flog it off that is what can only be built on it.

would stop all arseoles from doing this

Curly79 said:
I was told today that the site that the poor old corkman pub used to stand on has been slapped with a " green ban" ?
Green belt? Which apparently means that the shit head builder who did it isn't allowed to build on it. Not sure of the full details.
The builder,being "the person conducting a business " should be stripped of their license and NOT ever again allowed to be a manager/owner/operator of any business involved in anyway with construction.
Effing hard to police I know and won't happen but such acts will only further encourage more acts of vandalism and complacency.
I'm a builder/chippie by trade and licensed over the 37 years in the trade I've seen similar (ish) acts that have pissed me off big time.
Councils and laws need to grow some balls, in and out like a jellyfish on the tide and easily manipulated.
Oops wrong thread.....pigs arse!

The Epa have been issued with an order to contain asbestos fibres found at the site.also building unions have slapped a construction ban on the site

Latest posts

Back