Loose fermenter tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Adams

Reaction score
My plastic fermenter taps are a pain in the ass.
Try to turn them off one handed because the other hand is holding my hydrometer tube & the tap twists and pours beer sideways.
I have them as tight as they will go & point down.

I know someone put a tip on here somewhere on how to make them tight but I can't find it and I've forgotten what it was.
Plumbing tape ?

Does anyone have a tip/trick to stop this from happening ? Please share !!
Hopefully this thread will help me & others !

+1 for thread tape.

We use pink plumbers tape here in work religiously,

Oringsandmore silicone o ring #210

Working a charm so far

When the sediment reducer is in place it helps steady the tap. But I get the same problem and have tried plumbers tape as well.

I didn't have any luck with plumbers tape.

Bought new taps for $2 each and they work fine, I think over time sticky wort/beer gets them stuck

Threads get worn.
You need two hands but you can use a shifter on the hex bit while turning the tap. Keg lube to make the turn easier.
Buy new fermenters or cubes is the next solution.
Or snap taps.
Or a siphon.

had the same problem and it was a pesky little issue that really urked me! I changed over to the snap taps, best move I made. I wish my ones were not tapered (have to keep an eye on the silicone hose when it's connected) but it's a small price to pay for taps that stay put.

pull the taps apart and smear some keg lube in the groove
put back together

now the tap turns much better and very rarely moves the body of the tap.

No shifter is needed, some of them are easy to turn, and easy to "over turn" it clicks back and goes loose.

The shifter is usdd to stop the main shaft from turning at all (which results in leakage) while you use figerrs to operate the tap.

n87 said:
pull the taps apart and smear some keg lube in the groove
put back together
I didn't think that they were able to be taken apart? Are we talking about the same types of taps?

Taps can be pulled apart and it is a good idea to do regularly and clean them. Regular white fermenter or cube taps just need dowel or wooden spoon handle inserted in the end that faces towards the fermenter. Hold the nozzle with thumb and shaft with the rest of the hand. Sharp tap or two on hard surface, should pop out.

Bradgc said:
I didn't think that they were able to be taken apart? Are we talking about the same types of taps?
yup, as manticle outlines above

there is basacally 2 or 3 little bumps on the inside of the tap body that locate in a groove on the tap spindle(?)
lube up that groove and a little bit over the shaft of the spindle and it will turn so much easier

i used to have the same problem with the whole tap turning, now i dont
however i am also subconsiously aware of the tap position...

Back