Pronunciation Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However.. do you put your shin-ook and ama-ree-o in boiling wert or wart?

I've always wondered about this....if it's a German word, spelled "wort" then it should be pronounced "vort", unless it is "wrt", in which case it would be pronounced "vert". From my understanding, it is actually the latter (vert)!

I've always wondered about this....if it's a German word, spelled "wort" then it should be pronounced "vort", unless it is "wrt", in which case it would be pronounced "vert". From my understanding, it is actually the latter (vert)!

I thought it should be pronounced "wert" but i say wort(wart) because I know what i mean and that is the main thing :blink: Which brings me to "witbier"?

I like a beer/wine hybrid. I boil up so amareeyo and kinoook in some wart and blend it with a nice syrrah.

LHBS guy through a wert in one day and I had to get a second go to work out what he said. Until then I had just thought it was 'wart'. After that I was not so sure.

so many words that arent pronounced phonetically like we're used to in australia.

couple more are hefeweizen and framboise

lambic? never been sure on that one myself.

and as for the poll, ive always thought it was a) chin -ook, and am-a-ril-o (like armadillo :p)

so many words that arent pronounced phonetically like we're used to in australia.

couple more are hefeweizen and framboise

lambic? never been sure on that one myself.

and as for the poll, ive always thought it was a) chin -ook, and am-a-ril-o (like armadillo :p )

I don't know if it's correct, and in this country who cares - we've bastardised the English language that much already :p but,
I pronounce lambic - lombic and hefeweisen - hef-vizen. Probably wrong, but that's how it's read in my head.

Now for a pet peeve of mine: people who pronounce lager "lagger" - like dagger. :angry:

Wow! I guess I can kind of see how people might come up with that pronunciation, although I would never have considered it an option before now.

here's one i often hear destroyed in Aus:

i'm a c) man, in regard to the thread topic.

reVox

edit: added direct link to flemish pronunciation - nice find Rukh

It's not even German but a Saxon word, (ie Anglo-Saxon) The German name for wort is "Wrze"

On this note I have also talked to guys who think that a fermenter is called a 'wart'. I had no idea what they were talking about .

It all to do with the origin of the word. Ale has been brewed in the land our language came from for a very long time. The Vikings in York brewed it in 800ad. The civil service (note the sound of the first letters) of England standardised the spelling of English one word at a time but they came from all over England when spelling and pronunciation was different in every region and inherited from several sources. Wort probably came from the Danes or before and some bureaucrat locked down the spelling when taxing beer. Its origin is the same as 'root', the part of a plant.
Chinook is from and American Indian tribe so they will know how to pronounce it and ever other is wrong.
Lager is stolen from German much more recently and was bastardised into English. Yeast is from old english going back to it original Dutch roots. The spelling however is much more recent as it is more phonetic.

if it's a German word, spelled "wort"

I think it's an old English word.

FWIW, I pronounce it shinook and chinook or amarillo and amariyo interchangeable. Keeps people on their toes. :D

Latest posts

Back