Pronunciation Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
ok guys. I was talking to my LHBS the other day and enquired about chinook hops. We got talking about how to pronounce it.
Is it;
a) Chin as in on your jaw - followed by ook as in book
or
B) Chin as in on your jaw - followed by ook as in spook
or
c) Shin as in your lower leg - followed by ook as in book
or
d) Shin as in your lower leg - followed by ook as in spook?

edit: that should be a b ) not a B) capital B followed by ) stuffed me up..

I reckon it's safer to stick with East Kent Goldings, comes with a ready made acronym ;)

I'm not sure how to pronounce it but the dog's looking at me funny for talking to the computer.

Personally I think it would be C but given it's an American hop it's probably A ... just my guess though. I'm prepared to be enlightened, too :)

B and D just sound plain wrong, I vote A or C.

What about Amarillo? Is it pronounced the american way how its spelled, or in the spanish (mexican) way how the word (not the hop) originated (think Amar-eeyo, like tortilla vs torteeya)

I can't help saying Amar-eeyo, even though its an american hop and theres an argument there to say it should be pronounced as its said by the yanky folk.. I say Amar-eeyo in my head, but if I'm talking to someone I'll usually say it amarillo because I know that people would rip on me haha.

ok guys. I was talking to my LHBS the other day and enquired about chinook hops. We got talking about how to pronounce it.
Is it;
or
or
or
Well I can't say as I've ever thought about it. I've always just pronounced it a).
As in "From Vung Tau riding Chinooks to the dust at Nui Dat,
I'd been in and out of choppers now for months. "

Being a defense force child, I would call it c. That's how they pronounce the choppers anyway..

Personally I think it would be C but given it's an American hop it's probably A ... just my guess though. I'm prepared to be enlightened, too :)

Seems it is c) according to Cortez' pronunciation dictionary - which is what we thought. Thanks.

Lol on that dictionary site, one of the audio things says it like A (shin (b)ook) , and the other says it with a hard C sound, like chemist or chorizo, but all end with (b)ook.

B and D just sound plain wrong, I vote A or C.

What about Amarillo? Is it pronounced the american way how its spelled, or in the spanish (mexican) way how the word (not the hop) originated (think Amar-eeyo, like tortilla vs torteeya)

I can't help saying Amar-eeyo, even though its an american hop and theres an argument there to say it should be pronounced as its said by the yanky folk.. I say Amar-eeyo in my head, but if I'm talking to someone I'll usually say it amarillo because I know that people would rip on me haha.

+1 on the Amarillo. Thats EXACTLY what I do. Dont want to be seen as some kind of w#$ker for using spanish accents...

Well I can't say as I've ever thought about it. I've always just pronounced it a).
As in "From Vung Tau riding Chinooks to the dust at Nui Dat,
I'd been in and out of choppers now for months. "
But we made our tents a home, VB and pin-ups on the lockers, and an Asian orange sunset through the scrub.

ahh memories of baracks life.

I recon its a. as in chinook chopper. thats how i say it. but what would i know.

But we made our tents a home, VB and pin-ups on the lockers, and an Asian orange sunset through the scrub.

ahh memories of baracks life.

I recon its a. as in chinook chopper. thats how i say it. but what would i know.
I believe that's "Agent Orange sunset". Named after a punk band, I reckon :lol:

As for Amarillo, please consider kicking this thread back to life.

Lestifer

I always remember the Shin-ook salmon from the John west ads, y'all... :p

Is it;
or
or
or

edit: that should be a b ) not a B) capital B followed by ) stuffed me up..

Well being that I live in the land of the fish and the Indian tribe I say the hop is pronounced the same as in "C". But being that everything changes with time it may be completely wrong.

You want to get real confused try the leggings cowboys wear. The long ones are chaps and the short ones are chinks. Chaps is pronounced with an sh and chinks with a ch. Never have got an answer on that one.

Option c) is the way the chinook (shin - ook (as in book)) is pronounced here. Chinook is a native word here that means snow eater - their word for the warm winter winds that frequent southern Alberta in particular here in Canada.

Now for a pet peeve of mine: people who pronounce lager "lagger" - like dagger. :angry:

Option c) is the way the chinook (shin - ook (as in book)) is pronounced here. Chinook is a native word here that means snow eater - their word for the warm winter winds that frequent southern Alberta in particular here in Canada.

Now for a pet peeve of mine: people who pronounce lager "lagger" - like dagger. :angry:
With apologies to Bill ;)
Is this a lager which I see before me,
The glass toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee.
I drunk thee have, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, drinkable
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A lager of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the drink-oppress'd brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I pour.
Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going;
And such an beverage I was to drink.

:lol:

Didn't Macbeth predate lagers by 2 or 3 hundred years? ;)

I sure hope that quote is in fact from Macbeth, lest I look foolish.

I think all you blokes have wayyyyy to much time on your hands. Go back to work !

I don't have a job, I'm retired, so my vote definitely goes to option ©.

Latest posts

Back