Les the Weizguy: Help with Erdinger clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries mate. Esters are a result of a fatty acid and an alcohol combining. Amounts and types of acids and alcohols are partly a function of temperature at the beginning of fermentation so the amounts and esters formed will depend on early temperatures even though the esters are actually formed later (one reason why keeping temp low close to pitching time is important in terms of ester production).

Temperature early on also contributes to levels of diacetyl produced and yeast health is a significant factor in the level of diacetyl which is later reduced. There is a definite relationship between temperature, yeast health and levels of esters and diacetyl.

I agree entirely with you when you suggest keeping temp low at the beginning to reduce esters and diacetyl in finished beer.

Just as a bit of a status update, the bubblegum flavour dropped out dramatically after letting the keg warm up with ambient temps. The result is actually quite a nice wheat.

I have also been trying out several German Wheats and was not a huge fan of the Erdinger, but I LOVED Franziskaner (always have). What I hadn't noticed before (I hadn't tasted it for different flavours before), was the banana explosion in the Franziskaner. Moving to BIAB soon so I'm going to be trawling this site for AG clones soon.

Thanks again for all your help! Morale of this story: never give up on a beer.

Latest posts

Back