Pre Boil Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm not sure where I got the 4 day thing from... strange. Must have just made it up :)

There was a JSGA clone thread on here, someone had mentioned POR is used for bittering in the real thing... so I went with it. It seemed likely to me that they'd use a cheaper hop for bittering.

Trying to plan my next AG already (the double batch). So many beers, so little time... What's next for you Crusty?

We'll definitely need to swap a tallie of our JSGA's... should be interesting.

Hey Trev,
I will see how this one turns out & I might stick with it for a little while. I might do another three or four batches the same or even try out your recipe. At this stage, I kinda like the Pale Ales & have been looking at a few in the recipe data base. I'm not overly adventurous & really only want to master 4 different types of beers & stick with them. Just bragging rights really when the mates pop over. Four different beers on tap is awesome. I only have two Corny kegs & two taps at the moment but am going to order another two kegs & change my taps over to Cellis. I really want these so I can use all JG quick disconnects & beerline. Cleaning is much easier if you have to dismantle anything, anytime. I need an extra keg too so I can filter the beer from keg to keg. I am transfering to secondary this Sunday & I'll check SG then. Should be gettin fairly close.
Cheers,
Crusty

I was considering making minor tweaks to the JSGA(smurto). A touch more malt, something more toasty/biscuity... and a higher ABV, perhaps around 5.5%. Just ideas in early stages so far, and I probably shouldn't me making recipe changes straight after my first AG:)

Just to clarify, my JSGA recipe is the exact one you used, just POR instead of Amarillo for bittering. The real JSGA apparently has white sugar in it too, but I see no real need for that if you can just add more light malt or wheat.

Recipe is the same, I'm such a donut. Yours is adjusted for a larger volume, mines for 20 litres.
Seems odd that an addition of sugar would be needed. In this recipe, I tasted the wort when transferring to the boiler & it was sweet as. I was stunned how much sugar was extracted from the grains, very surprising. I tasted a spoonful of wort again tonight & this is going to be a good beer. Seems to be improving by the hour. Looking forward to Sunday's transfer. I might just toss in loosely the 15gm Amarillo. I am going to filter this one anyway.
Cheers,
Crusty

Recipe is the same, I'm such a donut. Yours is adjusted for a larger volume, mines for 20 litres.
Seems odd that an addition of sugar would be needed. In this recipe, I tasted the wort when transferring to the boiler & it was sweet as. I was stunned how much sugar was extracted from the grains, very surprising. I tasted a spoonful of wort again tonight & this is going to be a good beer. Seems to be improving by the hour. Looking forward to Sunday's transfer. I might just toss in loosely the 15gm Amarillo. I am going to filter this one anyway.
Cheers,
Crusty

The sugar is added to make the finished beer drier or "crisper", rather than sweeter. Sucrose is 100% fermentable, so it turns into ethanol and CO2, leaving nothing behind, unlike the more complex sugars coming out of the mash.

Come, my son. Join me on the dark side. I'll soon 'ave you droppng your h's and calling people 'squire'. The maltiness that is Marris Otter is your destiny......
:beerbang:

Tempting, very tempting... more research is required :)

Latest posts

Back