Post me your best Asahi recipe pls..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you add the rice first and then get to the mash in temp? Assume we aren't extracting anything fermentable from the rice so it should be ok with the change in temp range?

You are extracting fermentables from the rice. The enzymes in the malt will convert the rice starch into fermentable sugars.

But you are right, You can add the rice, raise temp to the correct strike temp of your grain mass/temp and then mash in.

Its also important to grind the rice up prior to cooking, can you coffee grinder or food processor apparently. You want the rice to be in in small pieces to maximise surface area so the enzymes can get to it easier.

It can also help to extend the mash out to ensure good conversion and you need to remember that the cooked rise will not absorb any water in the mash tun as it will already be saturated.

The gelatisation temperature of rice varies widely with variety and there are many. On average it is in the mid seventies (degrees) but can vary from low sixties to low eighties. Quite a big difference. As you don't know what the temperature is of the rice you are buying you are better off pre-gelatinising it first (ie) cooking it!. Lionman is spot on with breaking the rice up first, I run mine through my malt mill two-three times and it does the job, otherwise cook it to a mush before adding it to your mash.

Edit: the malt enzymes cannot convert starches that have not been gelatinised

I think you guys are over complicating things.

Stockpot
Cheapest supermarket rice
Boil to mush using a portion of the strike water
Allow to cool to mash temp
Dough in malt
Stir in rice mush

Walk away and do something interesting :cool:

I'm with Bribie here...

I just did a rice lager with 20% rice, I used home brand long grain rice cooked using the absorption method. I didn't wash it, mill it or use rice hulls.

I got 88% efficiency, and the FG sample last night tasted awesome.

The rice basically disappears during the mash, leaving behind little rice 'ghosts'. Rice hulls shouldn't be needed as the rice, being white rice, just gets converted to sugars so won't cause any sparging problems.

Seeing as:
Svmer is icumen in
Lhude sing kuku burra

I had a cupboard clean out and decided to do a ricey myself ... will post pix.

I've also just used agood brand of clean white supermarket rices in my rice lagers, all turned out great.
Mixing in the glug rice using grain cracked in my fluted mill has defiantly helped with my sparges.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back