POR Out on its Ear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
No longer being commercially grown...

glad I have one in the backyard.. now I just have to nurse it back to health :blush:

So the brewers that traditionally use POR do they just have their own crops? Coopers for example.

Mardoo said:
Summer is also being discontinued.

Think I'll get a POR rhizome this winter.
I won't miss summer. Although it's possible I just misused it horribly. Or it was just a bad batch.

PoR on the other hand... might need to free up some garden real estate from silly food production purposes.

Maybe I got the same bad batch of Summer. I wouldn't buy it again either. Twas awefull..

Danscraftbeer said:
So the brewers that traditionally use POR do they just have their own crops? Coopers for example.
Possibly super pride

Not too sad about Summer either but it's a shame they didn't keep a small amount of PoR. It's a big part of Australian brewing heritage.

i had two rounds of summer hops which ruined 2 batches, grassy as fckn hell.

That's ridiculous they're completely stopping production!
I'm assuming it's not commercially viable for them, so more to the point: it's ridiculous more people aren't using more PoR.
It's a fantastic hop - both in flavour/aroma and in the particular type of bittering it gives.
However, it's not surprising few homebrewers seem to have tried it (& I'd wonder if that similarly applies to all those craft brewers who started as homebrewers, of course) - when I started brewing and researching hops one of the few consistent opinions I'd come across regularly was the vigorous hatred and ridicule of PoR.
It was only a year ago I finally tried it myself and was genuinely stunned with how good it was. Very different to most hops I've tried but still great in its own way.
Obviously everyone has their own tastes and preferences. But I think it's interesting to see the feedback here & now on Summer. Seems like no-one has a positive thing to say about Summer. However I've never heard anything negative about it and instead, historically, everyone seems happy to rip into PoR.
Not saying people posting here are guilty of being big mean PoR-haters (or Summer-haters), more just as an illustration that we as a community seem to be more considered in expressing opinions on other hops, but there seems to be an unspoken green light to get in there and shitcan PoR which might prevent new Brewers from experimenting with it as much as other hops ... and we're now at risk of losing a great Aussie asset.

Hey Yob, I might be keen to snaffle some PoR rhizome in winter if there's any up for grabs. [emoji41]

I think por gets "shitcanned" because of the commercial beers it's used in, I made a lager with it recently and it's delicious and I've used it in the past with good results, but I don't tend to make decisions on mainstream opinion until I've at least tried it for myself!

technobabble66 said:
That's ridiculous they're completely stopping production!
I'm assuming it's not commercially viable for them, so more to the point: it's ridiculous more people aren't using more PoR.
It's a fantastic hop - both in flavour/aroma and in the particular type of bittering it gives.
However, it's not surprising few homebrewers seem to have tried it (& I'd wonder if that similarly applies to all those craft brewers who started as homebrewers, of course) - when I started brewing and researching hops one of the few consistent opinions I'd come across regularly was the vigorous hatred and ridicule of PoR.
It was only a year ago I finally tried it myself and was genuinely stunned with how good it was. Very different to most hops I've tried but still great in its own way.
Obviously everyone has their own tastes and preferences. But I think it's interesting to see the feedback here & now on Summer. Seems like no-one has a positive thing to say about Summer. However I've never heard anything negative about it and instead, historically, everyone seems happy to rip into PoR.
Not saying people posting here are guilty of being big mean PoR-haters (or Summer-haters), more just as an illustration that we as a community seem to be more considered in expressing opinions on other hops, but there seems to be an unspoken green light to get in there and shitcan PoR which might prevent new Brewers from experimenting with it as much as other hops ... and we're now at risk of losing a great Aussie asset.

Hey Yob, I might be keen to snaffle some PoR rhizome in winter if there's any up for grabs. [emoji41]
I've only just used it for the first time myself after nearly 200 batches (70-odd AG). Have AndrewQld's Coopers Pale Clone ready to bottle and will harvest the yeast for a Sparkling Ale attempt this weekend.
Bit shocked to see it go.

Haven't ever used Summer and judging by this thread may not have missed much!

I've reckon I've brewed close to 1000 litres of coopers clones. I can do 92litres for around $60 for the ingredients. It's a great beer to brew when stocks and funds are getting low. It's a good base beer to use with different yeasts and dry hop the shit out of it with different hops for experimentally cheap fun.
I find it hard to believe they won't be growing it anymore. I have heard this rumour a few times now tho and I hope it ain't true.

Liam_snorkel said:
source for this tidbit of info?
Not exactly a source but a suggestion

http://kegking.com.au/beer-brewing-ingredients/hops/pride-of-ringwood-hop-pellets-100g.html

por.JPG

I understand that Superpride has been used in Aussie Commercials for yonks, especially Lion brews as CUB had some sort of "rights" over POR originally.
Commercial brewers on the forum such as /// may be able to confirm.

Liam_snorkel said:
source for this tidbit of info?
Regarding Summer, that was direct from HPA. But I'm guessing that's not your question.

Summer's lovely as a dry hop, IMHO, and not worth it elsewhere. Not much room in the market for a solely-a-dry-hop hop

I thought coopers switched to using superpride years ago

Latest posts

Back