POR Out on its Ear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I thought too Bribie. Pretty wrapped my POR plant has gone well this year for this reason. Can't wait to do a Coopers clone with the flowers. If I can scratch up some zomes this winter I'll share the love. [emoji481][emoji481]

I love POR in my Aussie style beers and want to buy a couple of rhizomes for next season when they are available. I think of it as an end to another era if this Hop is forgotten about. Please pencile me in if you are unloading any in the future.

technobabble66 said:
the feedback here & now on Summer. Seems like no-one has a positive thing to say about Summer.

historically, everyone seems happy to rip into PoR.
Am I the only person who likes both of them? I routinely use Pride as first wort hop and Summer for 90 minute kettle hop.

You dudes might think I'm a wanker but Most of my goo brews are dry hopped with POR and other stuff. POR brings back memories of the first time I tasted beer as an infant.

Pretty sure Super Pride is used ubiquitously across the range of mainstream lagers where PoR used to be the choice. It's basically same flavour with higher AA%. Referring to Beer the Beautiful Truth the ingredients are disclosed. Super Pride is used in -
  • Boag's
  • New
  • West End Draught
  • Chancer
  • Swan Draught
  • XXXX
  • Old
  • ... and others
It's worth noting most of the above also use extract from local and imported ingredients. Pride of Ringwood mentioned not once. Likely a result of the distribution network and higher bitterness, it seems the big corps have picked the better crop and left poor old PoR to the hobbyists and cra... micro breweries. I've just brewed with Super Pride for the first time this weekend so I'm keen to see the difference. Nostalgia aside, as long as it tastes the same I'm not too bothered it's gone the way of Ol' Yella.

Others will grow it. There's a whole new generation of small commercial growers coming up, some of whom frequent this forum.

I did the tour of the HPA farms a few years ago. They said that once upon a time POR was %80 of their crops. But they were slowly going out business so they had to develop new hops.

Black Devil Dog said:
I blame beards for its demise.
Not me and my beard. We both enjoy the mighty POR and have been advocates since the early days on this forum, with a little encouragement from MHB.

I made a Cooper's Sparkling Ale-y beer a few weekends ago, 45 litre batch using ol' mate POR. Looking forward to it.

Shame that Tony is not here to comment, as Defender of the POR.

Maybe I can get some tips on how to use POR, because I have used it several times after reading many positive comments on it.
I used it in a few pale ales, as bittering, with an english yeast (wyeast 1469) and it came out real twangy.
Does it mix well with certain yeasts and this was just a combination that goes wrong.
See I've had coopers and think its great, so I think there is just some combination of ingredients/yeast I am not hitting with it.

Maybe a straight pilsner/lager might be better?

Les the Weizguy said:
Not me and my beard. We both enjoy the mighty POR and have been advocates since the early days on this forum, with a little encouragement from MHB. TY

I made a Cooper's Sparkling Ale-y beer a few weekends ago, 45 litre batch using ol' mate POR. Looking forward to it. Have to call in some time soon

Shame that Tony is not here to comment, as Defender of the POR. (can live without him thanks)
I've always liked it for bitter/best bitter... but am fairly impressed with Super Pride to, a little less harsh than POR at higher bitterness's (say over 35 IBU).
I think the old Fosters group stoped using POR (or any other hops) in their beer a long time ago, all post fermentation Iso additions, the Tooheys group have as far as I know been using Super for a couple of decades.

More and more of the global hop production is going to Extract and Iso production, hops like Super and particularly hops like Topaz and Galaxy are breed for the extract market.
There were once well over a dozen versions of Golding, nearly all of them are history, arguably the best of them (EKG) is still around and there are lots of Golding genetics in many popular modern breeds (anything with Gold related names, Nugget, Bullion, First Gold... for a start and many others).
Good to see that even if we are losing it, POR is the mother of a new generation of hops.
Mark

Super PridesView attachment HPA_Super Pride_Product_Sheet.pdf
HPA Link

TheWiggman said:
.... I've just brewed with Super Pride for the first time this weekend so I'm keen to see the difference. Nostalgia aside, as long as it tastes the same I'm not too bothered it's gone the way of Ol' Yella.
V keen to hear how this goes Wiggas, so please report back here on the result.
I've not brewed w SP either. But I've got my doubts it's able to taste the same as PoR and also have the same type of bittering, but with twice the AA%.
However, if you thinks it's virtually the same in both taste and bittering quality I'll definitely be less hysterical about losing PoR.

Might still try to get a PoR 'zome either way.

On another note: Hey Yob/Mardoo, any chance an upcoming commercial grower in, say, the Belgrave region might venture into a few rows of PoR?

Cascade Premium Lager switched from Hersbrucker to Summer a couple of years ago as their aroma hop. Wonder what they will do now.

I likey POR very much......

goes bloody well in my Aussie Lager at 60,40 and 20.
Bitters up a beautiful Pale Ale.........

Lucky I've got some growing.........

Latest posts

Back