Politics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole entitlement thing is going to fill the papers till something more interesting comes along but this statement (and this is not about sides of politics - I reckon this will cut both ways) is telling:

“I was invited as the acting prime minister. For decades, the prime minister has been to both of those grand finals, and it is a requirement when you are prime minister or acting prime minister, because of security, to travel in the way that I travelled.”
I have no idea whether his trips nor any others are legit but I can bet the last hair on my cat's body that 'waste of taxpayer's money' and travel rorts are the next big non-issue we will see in the near future.

Presumably the money that abbot has paid back is going into his buy the boats scheme. Might have a raffle and a sausage sizzle too.

dougsbrew said:
Perks, those scoundrels. Check out Swanny here - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/wayne-swan-used-vip-jet-trips-to-fly-to-grand-finals-with-his-daughter/story-fn59niix-1226735248970
It amazes me that people voted for him and he won his seat after an appalling
display on estimates and attack on one of their own, Rudd. Palmer is right - vote tampering.

Perks, those scoundrels. Check out Abbott here - http://www.news.com.au/national-news/prime-minister-tony-abbott-claimed-over-10000-for-family-travel-in-2012/story-fncynjr2-1226735051089
It amazes me people voted for him and he won after an appalling
display of nothing but three word slogans, scaremongering, & photo ops. Palmer is right - dinosaurs rule.

Tongue firmly in cheek :D

Regardless of whether you're supportive of marriage equality, how do you feel about the AG mounting a high court challenge to block the ACT government from introducing it? Can they whinge about the ALP not respecting the political will of the electorate (re: possible blocking in the senate of carbon tax removal) if they do this? From what I understand, marriage equality has overwhelming support in the ACT.

it has overwhelming support nationwide really. There's no doubt that by denying the LNP a conscience vote, Abbott is pursuing a personal agenda.

Galaxy Research polling (2009-2012) shows:

64% of Australians support marriage equality,
A majority of Christians (53%) support marriage equality,
76% of Coalition voters want Abbott to allow a conscience vote,
75% believe the reform is inevitable, and
81% of young people (18-24 years) support marriage equality.
These figures are a significant advance on 2004 figures, when a Newspoll commissioned by SBS found that 38% of Australians supported the reform.
http://www.australianmarriageequality.com/wp/who-supports-equality/a-majority-of-australians-support-marriage-equality/

Liam_snorkel said:
it has overwhelming support nationwide really. There's no doubt that by denying the LNP a conscience vote, Abbott is pursuing a personal agenda.
I agree, though Abbott can at least justify his continued opposition by pointing to the fact that his party was elected with a transparent position on marriage equality.

I believe the ACT government was elected on a platform of vocal support for equality. A mandate's a mandate isn't it? I think Brandis should respect this.

Word is that Brandis is gay. You'd think he would at least be sympathetic, but maybe he's just bitter.

Trying to take it down is an interesting step, although not unexpected. It is a proactive destructive measure rather than a preventive or conservative one. I think the protests will be intense.

What I mean to say is, it is one thing to be against marriage equality but accepting of others' views. It is another thing to attempt to remove marriage equality from a territory within the federation.

A bit like how civil unions were legal in Qld briefly, before the incoming Premier Fuhrer Newmann scrapped them. Granted, we are the most backwards state.

Back