Plugs for elements over 3600w

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drtmonster

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how people with elements over 3600w are plugging them into their controllers. Over 3600 would be over 15A. In other jurisdictions 32A plugs are much smaller than here in Aust.

I'm not too keen on the massive 32A plug and i don't really want the kettle and the HLT hard wired to the control panel. I want to use 5500w elements (22A)

Thanks for ideas on what others are doing

R

That’s pretty big, providing that you have the supply could you just run a single phase contactor controlled by your thermostat?
I was gonna suggest a relay but after reading it sounds like you might need something more serious

I'm using a clips all 56 series outlet and plug, the super chunky type look on ebay for a second hand bargain as they are usually used for temp construction wiring then turfed in near new condition. It really isn't that bad size wise and I know it won't be easily broken, I'd be checking if another style is approved for use in Australia before purchasing.

Well that’s a timely question, (slightly OT)I have a sparkey coming around in the morning to sort a HWS issue and I’m going to get him to sort my 5 star 3600 W element + Power point at the same time, I’ll post the results when I know.
My voltage controller ( rebuild) is going to be one from 5 star but I want it sussed before I commit .
I have electrical issues in my shed atm as I realised on the weekend I don’t have a black male plug on any of my power leads, the ******* welded itself to the wall plug, and I mean welded, bloody lucky I spotted it before it caught fire.

Well that’s a timely question, (slightly OT)I have a sparkey coming around in the morning to sort a HWS issue and I’m going to get him to sort my 5 star 3600 W element + Power point at the same time, I’ll post the results when I know.
My voltage controller ( rebuild) is going to be one from 5 star but I want it sussed before I commit .
I have electrical issues in my shed atm as I realised on the weekend I don’t have a black male plug on any of my power leads, the ******* welded itself to the wall plug, and I mean welded, bloody lucky I spotted it before it caught fire.
Your sparky sounds like he has some work to do, going to be a hot one tomoz, yer might want to have some cold ones ready for when he finishes, depending how long it takes one or both of you might need a beer or 2.

i made the move to 20 amp plugs for my 3600w boiler and individual circuit to the brew space, very happy i did

all stays cool on extended wash heating duty when running alternate brewing activity equipment
i was cooking "normal" 15amp plugs and was concerned about safety
BIL is a extra safe sparky so cost was low...

images

Your sparky sounds like he has some work to do, going to be a hot one tomoz, yer might want to have some cold ones ready for when he finishes, depending how long it takes one or both of you might need a beer or 2.

No beers today as I’m on late shift.
Got the power point issue sorted, check this out.
IMG_0993.jpg

And the plug.
IMG_0992.jpg

Had a 40 amp circuit installed for this.
IMG_0995.jpg

Now I have to install it and if all is well sort a controller for it.
At the moment I’m using 2x kettle elements so one will be replaced with the big element and the other will stay as a backup.

No beers today as I’m on late shift.
Got the power point issue sorted, check this out.View attachment 111027
And the plug.
.View attachment 111028
Had a 40 amp circuit installed for this.
View attachment 111029
Now I have to install it and if all is well sort a controller for it.
At the moment I’m using 2x kettle elements so one will be replaced with the big element and the other will stay as a backup.
Any controller will do. You just need a contactor or a decent ssr.

Latest posts

Back