Induction brewing... anyone doing it? What induction element do you use.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @Muz have you got any updates a few years later? I’m just coming to this idea because I’ve always used gas but have been exposed to induction when planning a kitchen reno (not my house though).

I’ve read the 2018 BYO article and have a 3v system with sandwich base SS pot, I’d like to switch my 40-litre brew day from gas fired to induction if possible. I already have a 15a GPO in my brew location (originally planned to switch to 3.6kw element), and my 44cm-base brew kettle should be induction compatible (plan to confirm this prior buying an induction cooktop).

I had always planned to switch to electric once I got rooftop solar installed a couple of years ago, but have been slow to modify my kettle to add the heating element (from memory the 15a one I could find wasn’t weldless). Another thing that delayed me modifying the kettle was that I was worried about scorching on the element and making it harder to clean the pot base. I have a pickup loop fitted inside my kettle with a camlock and I have always liked the fact I can take it out and have only a male camlock inside when cleaning the pot.

So induction seemed like it could retain some of these things that I like about gas-firing, but gain the benefits of a cheaper (free) and more sustainable fuel source than propane.

The things I’m still unsure about with induction and interested in your feedback on are:

• Did your induction cooktop end up performing well? Would you recommend that specific model?
  • How problematic is it to have significant overhang (seems like cooktops available are about 32cm diameter ring, so I’d be 5cm over all round
  • Does the cooktop cope with 50kg weight, or did you build a stand?

Yes, I'm still brewing with my induction hob and after ~25 brews I'm still really happy with it.

The only issue I've had is that occasionally when I'm doing a long boil (2 hours plus) it will beep and turn off. Not sure if this is a time feature or a heat thing but I turn it straight back on and it keeps going just fine.

In answer to your questions:
1) Yes, I'd recommend this one. No issues at all.
2) As you can see from the photo the overhang isn't huge. I don't find it a problem. In fact I think it's better that the weight is partly taken by the frame of the hob rather than just the glass itself. It would probably be fine either way but the extra support is reassuring.
3) My pre-boil volumes are ~30 litres + the weight of the kettle itself (2-3kg?). That's the most I've put on it and it doesn't seem to show any signs that it's straining with that weight (creaking when under load, warping or cracking etc.). That said 50kg is quite a bit more.

Hope this helps.

IMG_6116.jpeg

Awesome, thank you. That is a superb looking setup you have there.

I’ll be sure to post back here if and when I do pull the trigger.

Induction is terrific - we have limited benchtop space (surprisingly shallow counters depth wise) so in replacing the old 900mm solid state one I went with this very compact 2 hob Swiss made unit. As very few induction units fitted and I actually had to put thisone in sideways for even it to work.

My logic was I very rarely need more than 2 hobs and I regularly need more benchtop space.

Oh and the little 2 hob unit can have each hob bridged to put out a total of 7.4kW into a single large pot! Also have a portable cheapie induction for outside.

Induction heating is generally efficient. Does anyone have a hard-data comparison with immersion heating?

Induction heating is generally efficient. Does anyone have a hard-data comparison with immersion heating?
I couldn't find anything (yes, I've that much stuff to do searching for such things seems like a 'good' use of my time).....but seeing as a how water heater is a largescale immersion heater - I think this answers it pretty well - seems well credentialled respondents so should be on the money.

Hi Jrrj
It's been covered in the links earlier but our experience of changing to induction four years ago was that it's not easy to guess which pans will work well. In particular stainless steels ones - even those with "induction" written on them. So if you could borrow a one ring induction unit and try your pot out first it might help long term.
cheers H

Hi Jrrj
It's been covered in the links earlier but our experience of changing to induction four years ago was that it's not easy to guess which pans will work well. In particular stainless steels ones - even those with "induction" written on them. So if you could borrow a one ring induction unit and try your pot out first it might help long term.
cheers H
That or try them with a magnet

Interesting idea about the magnet @Sidney Harbour-Bridge. Is it enough that it very strong magnetic on the base to be confident that induction will work? This is the pot (magnetic picker-upper on the base). I picked it up from G&G a few years ago, it was sold as SS, sides aren’t holding the magnet but the base is.

image.jpg

I have an Aldi induction cooking plate, in the instructions it says only magnetic stainless steel is suitable, as you have seen, there is magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steel, regular steel, like enameled pans are made from and cast iron are magnetic so good too. Looks like the base of your pan is magnetic so should work .

My point was that even amongst the pans that worked, there were different results - some worked better than others. Induction is very good when the pan is optimal, hence a check, if possible, might be a good idea.

Back