Pleated 0.35um 10" Filter Cartridge Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a silly question but have you tightened the jg fitting and the reducing bush up tight to the housing. I screwed mine right up so that the nut of the reducer bush is flush with the filter housing. I didn't used thread tape as the bush is made of nylon, mine seals up perfectly. I spose it wouldn't hurt to try teflon thread tape though.

Smashin

Just used this for the second time.

The filter works like this...

Beer line -> John Guest Adaptes -> Bigger adapter > Filter Housing -> Bigger Adapter -> John Guest Adapter -> Beer line

I can't get a seal between the big adapter and the filter housing. How is it meant to seal? Not sure if I'm missing some rubber seals or if it's meant to seal with the threads. If so do you guys use food grade thread tape or something?

I can use the filter upright regardless but it means I have to hold it and sort of nurse it at the right height when gravity feeding from fermenter to keg. If the filter housing fills up fully it leaks.

The actual filter cartridge and housing are creating a perfect seal despite the damage to the filter cartridge so that's good.

I would love to be able to have this as a sealed unit though so I can mount it upside down.

Yeah I tightened it all up nicely using a spanner. I think I'll give it one more trial run this afternoon and see how I go and if it still leaks will get some thread tape. I can only screw them half way in by hand and then I use a spanner so you'd think that'd be tight enough to not spring leaks.

This is gravity filtering so PSI isn't really applicable.

Yeah I tightened it all up nicely using a spanner. I think I'll give it one more trial run this afternoon and see how I go and if it still leaks will get some thread tape. I can only screw them half way in by hand and then I use a spanner so you'd think that'd be tight enough to not spring leaks.

This is gravity filtering so PSI isn't really applicable.

mate where are you getting a leak?? I'm hopeless without a pic.

here's one of the CB filter... which location is it leaking?
FILTER.jpg

Location A; I think you're describing the leak at the JG fittings... just tighten them up, same thing happen first time i used it. Finger tight won't do it... give it a good tighten up with the spanner a bit further.

Location B; make sure the black rubber o-ring is seated against the clear housing. When tightening the blue lid (mine's black) against the housing it will seal it up. I had installed it incorrectly once and it leaked all over the place.

No need for it to be upside down.. works just as well upright.
Good luck with it.

On my one there's some reducing nuts between the lid and the JG fittings, and it's leaking where these nuts meet the lid.

I'm gunna give it one more actual test tonight with water. The problem is that both times I've used it I've been a bit gung ho and only notice the leak once I've started filtering the beer, and I don't want to stop the process so I just hold the filter the whole time. I got beer from my fermenter to my keg and it's crystal clear so there's no problems there, but obviously going forward I need to remove the leaks so the process is much easier.

I want to put the filter upside down so there's less wastage. Didn't really matter for this batch because it came out at 21.5 L instead of my intended 20 and still came out at 5.3% alcohol when I only intended it to be 5% (it finished at 1.007 when BeerSmith predicted something like 1.013)

On my one there's some reducing nuts between the lid and the JG fittings, and it's leaking where these nuts meet the lid.

I'm gunna give it one more actual test tonight with water. The problem is that both times I've used it I've been a bit gung ho and only notice the leak once I've started filtering the beer, and I don't want to stop the process so I just hold the filter the whole time. I got beer from my fermenter to my keg and it's crystal clear so there's no problems there, but obviously going forward I need to remove the leaks so the process is much easier.

I want to put the filter upside down so there's less wastage. Didn't really matter for this batch because it came out at 21.5 L instead of my intended 20 and still came out at 5.3% alcohol when I only intended it to be 5% (it finished at 1.007 when BeerSmith predicted something like 1.013)

ahhh... I see. Sounds like a small design flaw that was ironed out in the model that I have and CB currently sell.... shame you're having problems.

As for having the filter upside down it makes no difference to the losses. I have mine upright and the siphon action of the transfer continues until the filter housing is empty.

Hmm good point. The siphon action did get the beer level down past half way this time and that's even without a good seal on the unit itself.

Yeah i was surprised the first time i saw this happen... i thought it'd stop when the line from the fermenter emptied, but it kept going.

Either way, once the filter housing is full the beer is only going to go one way... into the keg. doesn't matter if it's upright, upside down or sideways... it'll still work.

Just did a test with my pressure sprayer and yep definitely leaking where I said it was. They're up as tight as they can go too. I think my only option is thread tape. I may try out lubricating the threads first as that may help seal it up better.

Finally got around to taking a picture of the indent the filter housing has made in the filter.

You can see there's an outer ring that's obviously meant to be there. I would have expected the ring in the housing was meant to meet up with this, but instead it had a smaller diametre and actually cut its own groove into the cartridge. This hasn't affected performance but it is a bit of a worry. There's actually a few parts where it's cut through enough to make a hole and I'm worried this could mean it won't last for as many brews as usual.

Not the biggest deal in the world, it was cheap, but I'm thinking more about next time I order a cartridge I want to make sure it's definitely the right one for the housing.

Can you check with your supplier Smashin?
Maybe ask about needing thread tape too?

I'm not dirty or anything, still happy with the purchase, just would like some info.

PIC_0041.jpg

gday mark,

The housing imprint on the cartridge is normal, my first housing and filter from ross seated in the same way. The housing doesn't need to line up with the groove you mension. The only times the housings has damaged my filters is when I leave the filter in the housing for days on end as this seams to permanently distort and tear the ends of the filter cartridge.

Does yours leak from both the inlet and the outlet reducing bushes?? or just one. Does the bush or the housing look damaged or cracked in the thread area?? Just a stab but try swapping the inlet and out bushes over, this may tell you if its the bush or the housing that has the problem. I've got an old bush here you can have if it turns out to be the bush.

I can be pretty sure there's no need for teflon tape as we were given nylon bushes not the cheap PE ones.

Has anyone else had a problem like this from the bulk buy??

Smashin.

Finally got around to taking a picture of the indent the filter housing has made in the filter.

You can see there's an outer ring that's obviously meant to be there. I would have expected the ring in the housing was meant to meet up with this, but instead it had a smaller diametre and actually cut its own groove into the cartridge. This hasn't affected performance but it is a bit of a worry. There's actually a few parts where it's cut through enough to make a hole and I'm worried this could mean it won't last for as many brews as usual.

Not the biggest deal in the world, it was cheap, but I'm thinking more about next time I order a cartridge I want to make sure it's definitely the right one for the housing.

Can you check with your supplier Smashin?
Maybe ask about needing thread tape too?

I'm not dirty or anything, still happy with the purchase, just would like some info.

I can be pretty sure there's no need for teflon tape as we were given nylon bushes not the cheap PE ones.

Has anyone else had a problem like this from the bulk buy??

Smashin.

I didn't buy mine through the bulk buy but direct from PSIfiltetrs. Same leaks occured on mine. I use teflon tape and also in the past when I get my filter system serviced they always used tape on the threads no matter what the material they were made from. Even on my brerw set up where i use nylon fittings I have to use tape so its not just these units.
You may be lucky and get some fittings that are good fit but I believe every tread unless it is a tappered fit or a compression fitting should have tape applied.

For some miraculous reason I used this a couple of days ago and it worked flawlessly.

The tear in the filter doesn't seem to be affecting performance.

There's still minimal dripping but not enough to worry about. I don't think it would work well in a keg to keg transfer but via gravity it's working perfectly now.

Back