PH meter bulk buy - Australia wide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarbinator

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hi all,

I'm getting a few people together to do a bulk order of PH meters so that we can buy at prices that are almost comparable with the US.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I have been in touch with the sales rep for Hanna in Australia and she is willing to give us prices which are very comparable with the amazon price when you take into account the exchange rate and postage etc if we order a total of 20 of these units at once.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Just to give you an idea how much we get ripped off down under, check out these two links – one from the US and the other from Aus.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I have negotiated with the Hanna sales rep the following prices on three different models.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Hopefully these models will suit everyone as there is an entry model, mid-range and professional model.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]All of these will come with a two year Australian warranty.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The price for this is $60 + GST[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This unit will do everything that you need, except you will have to cool the solution being tested to below 50 degrees c before testing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This unit is not waterproof.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The price for this one is $100 + GST[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This one has automatic temperature compensation, officially it should not measure solutions above 60 degrees c but would probably be ok to measure the mash at 66 degrees (do your research).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]It also has a few more features which are outlined on the link and in the attached brochure. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This unit is waterproof.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The price for this one is $300 + GST[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This is the ultimate beer brewing PH meter with measurements being able to be taken at 105 degrees c. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]See the attached brochure for other features.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Waterproof.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have also attached the electrode instruction guide which recommends the use of calibration, storage and cleaning solutions (HI 7007L, HI 7004L, HI 70300L, HI 7061L).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]These solutions come in 500ml bottles and are $15 each.
A 500ml bottle will probably last 3 lifetimes so you could consider splitting the solutions with other people in the bulk buy.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Please organize this between yourselves.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I think the meters may also come with a small sachet of each solution, I will have to check up on that.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]We are looking at a total of 20 units, so far we have 8 people interested from BABBS.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There will also be a postage cost from Melbourne.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]According to the sales rep, it's a large package for a flat rate of $20.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I will get some more firm answers on the postage later on but I would be hoping that it is under $5 each.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]It will be pickup from my place in Banyo (North side Brisbane) or if you’re in BABBS, I can bring them to the next meeting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Andrew[/SIZE]

View attachment Electrode Instruction Guide_ half.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump

Sorry guys, I couldn't upload some of the brochures mentioned here as the files are too big.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Great work Andrew

Im just mussing this over in my head at the moment as I've been looking at one of these for a while. Its still a little depressing that I can buy 1 myself (the mid tier 98128) from Amazon and have it shipped for $93US; close enough to $100AU, as aposed to the "special" bulk buy price through the aussie rep which will come in at closer to $120 delivered - not that I imagine that's the rep's fault, they probably cant get them into the country themsleves for the price that Amazon is listing them at.
Im just trying to get my head around any warranty implications which would make it worth while buying it through the official australian channel; Im a brewer, which is code for tight ass, and $20 in my pocket is still $20!

Cheers

Barry

Hey Barry, thanks for your reply.

I have discussed this with the Hanna rep already.
She said that they record the serial number of each unit when they are sold.
They will only honor the warranty on units which are recorded to be sold in Australia.
To me, that's a no brained to get a 2 year warranty for $20.
The last thing you want to be doing is posting it back to the US if something breaks.

Thanks for organising Andrew, great initiative.

Ikeen for the [SIZE=12pt]HI 98128 pHep®5 pH/Temperature Tester [/SIZE]

I'm in Melbourne. Can I pick up from, or get posted from, the rep to save it going up to QLD and back down again?

Goon Boy said:
Thanks for organising Andrew, great initiative.

Ikeen for the HI 98128 pHep®5 pH/Temperature Tester

I'm in Melbourne. Can I pick up from, or get posted from, the rep to save it going up to QLD and back down again?
I will get in touch with the rep and see what options are available there.

Thanks.

TheCarbinator said:
Hey Barry, thanks for your reply.

I have discussed this with the Hanna rep already.
She said that they record the serial number of each unit when they are sold.
They will only honor the warranty on units which are recorded to be sold in Australia.
To me, that's a no brained to get a 2 year warranty for $20.
The last thing you want to be doing is posting it back to the US if something breaks.

Sounds fair Andrew

Although as a tight ass I still get riled up about things like this!

Can you put me down for one of the mid range 98128 metres, along with a bottle of storage solution and the 2 calibration solutions (HI 7007L, HI 7004L, HI 70300L). It doesnt worry me, but I'd prefer the smaller 230ml bottles if we can get them, rather than the 500ml.

Im in Melbourne also, and like Goon Boy I'd pick up from the rep (or another member) if possible, but id understand if the rep only wants to ship a single order to a single location.

Im also happy to be a contact/pickup point in Melbourne if that ends up being of any use; I live in Keilor East (Nth West Suburbs) and work in Docklands.

Thanks

Barry

I just talked to the rep and she said that people in Melbourne can pick up their meters from Keysborough with no postage charge.
She also said that she can post to any capital city if there are enough people to fill a package.
Someone in that city will have to put their hand up to receive that package.
The package prices are $30 for a 15kg package and $20 for a 10 kg package.
Based on that, we can work on $1 or less per item for postage (if the package is full).

The 230ml bottles are not in stock in Australia but she can order them.
They are $12 (im assuming +gst)

Count me in for one of the basic models. DAMN! That's a good price. I paid over $120 for my old one (also basic) & chucked it out just a few months ago after years of neglect....

Goon Boy & Barry: I'm in East Doncaster, so I'm closer to Keysborough than Keilor if you want me to collect Melbourne orders.

Also, if you want to split some of the buffer solutions, I'd be up for that too.

TheCarbinator said:
The 230ml bottles are not in stock in Australia but she can order them.
They are $12 (im assuming +gst)

Assuming everything else is ex stock Im happy with 500ml bottles

MartinOC said:
Count me in for one of the basic models. DAMN! That's a good price. I paid over $120 for my old one (also basic) & chucked it out just a few months ago after years of neglect....

Goon Boy & Barry: I'm in East Doncaster, so I'm closer to Keysborough than Keilor if you want me to collect Melbourne orders.

Also, if you want to split some of the buffer solutions, I'd be up for that too.
Sounds good on both counts, I can work with anything!

Thanks Andrew. Please put me down for one [SIZE=12pt]HI 98128 pHep®5 pH/Temperature Tester and one bottle of testing fluid. [/SIZE]

Thanks for the offer Martin, if you could pick up and then I get off you in Doncaster East that would be great. Happy to split a bottle of testing fluid.

Scott

OK I'm going to tidy this up a bit.

Brisbane:

1. TheCarbinator + friend - [SIZE=12pt]HI 98128 x 2[/SIZE]
  2. BABBS members - [SIZE=12pt]HI 98103 x 1 and HI 98128 x 5[/SIZE]
Total: 8 meters

Melbourne:

1. bazfletch3 - [SIZE=12pt]HI 98128 x1[/SIZE]
  2. Goon Boy - [SIZE=12pt]HI 98128 x 1[/SIZE]
  3. MartinOC - [SIZE=12pt]HI 98103 x 1[/SIZE]
Total: 3 meters

Please update your solutions guys

If splitting solutions, please work out the split between yourselves.

If from another city, just add it in.
One person needs to take responsibility for the package in each city, except for Melbourne where you can pick it up from Hanna.

I have te Hanna 99151 and it is freakin awesome.. I got it for $220 cause the supplier advertised the price wrong on their website... Bargain...

Yeah I am considering going for that one.

Buy once, buy right!

Grainer said:
I have te Hanna 99151 and it is freakin awesome.. I got it for $220 cause the supplier advertised the price wrong on their website... Bargain...

Do they come with the buffer solutions to calibrate? Or do you need to order extra? If so How much for the below to calibrate frequently as instructed;

HI 70004P pH 4.01 buffer sachet (20 ml, 25 pcs)
HI 70007P pH 7.01 buffer sachet (20 ml, 25 pcs)
HI 70010P pH 10.01 buffer sachet (20 ml, 25 pcs)

and also which is needed;

HI 70300M Storage solution, 230 ml bottle
HI 7061M Cleaning solution, 230 ml bottle

Cheers,
Shaun.

Hey GoonBoy & MartinOC,

Are you happy to split the buffer and storage solution; will give us each 160 odd mls which should keep us out of trouble for a while.

Im happy to fix up some little bottles and divvy it up.

We could probably each "officially" take a bottle and fix up Andrew?

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry,

Happy to split three ways if Martin is.

This said, after on Shaunus' post I'm not 100% on what we need. Do we need the following:

- HI 70300M Storage solution, 230 ml bottle
- HI 7061M Cleaning solution, 230 ml bottle
- Buffers for each pH (do we onle need 4 and 7 and obviously calbrating for pH in this range)?

Anyone know?

bazfletch3 said:
Hey GoonBoy & MartinOC,

Are you happy to split the buffer and storage solution; will give us each 160 odd mls which should keep us out of trouble for a while.

Im happy to fix up some little bottles and divvy it up.

We could probably each "officially" take a bottle and fix up Andrew?

Cheers

Barry
Yeah that should be fine, decide between you who is buying the bottle and split it after.
We are aiming to get a total of 20 meters, the solutions are just an add on.

Back