Pleated 0.35um 10" Filter Cartridge Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark,

first time use, i just rince in a sanitiser solution (sanstar). nappysan or PBW is for cleaning after use to remove yeast, protine, and hop resins, then dry out and re sanitise again before use. I've never had or heard of plastic flavours coming through.

Smashin

Received mine today, first day back from holidays so perfect timing. I have never seen a filter before 'in real life' and it's a much more chunky and hardcore looking thing than I was expecting so it just makes the value for money seem even better. Cheers!

Also what is the recommended treatment before using? Napisan soak? Not sure if there's going to be a plastic smell.

Cheers mate. I usually use napisan on new cubes and fermenters and wasn't sure if there was any plasticisers that need cleaning off this fresh plastic.

I may just do it to the housing but not the filter.

Do you backflush to clean the filter?

I used to, but don't anymore, there seams to be oposing views here, filter suppliers say not to, when i used to back flush i just made sure the flow was kept to a minimum.

Smashin

Cheers mate. I usually use napisan on new cubes and fermenters and wasn't sure if there was any plasticisers that need cleaning off this fresh plastic.

I may just do it to the housing but not the filter.

Do you backflush to clean the filter?

Thanks smashin. Filter was waiting for me when i got back from work thursday.

Cheers

Rob

I'm gunna give mine a go this arvo, I'm just french pressing some Amarillo hops to go into the kegs. It should be good to go in about 4-5 days, but I will probably give it a test tonight!

Smashin,
Thanks for organizing this - I picked mine up at the postoffice today. The housing and filters look great - I look forward to drinking some brilliant beer :)

Cheers

Roller

sounds great guys, looks like the mail is getting through.

Smashin

After all was said and done there are 5 filter cartridges remaining so first in. $19.50 + postage

Smashin :)

Used this filter for the first time today... Wasn't too happy but I don't really know what process I'm supposed to go with.

For starters there was about 800ml of wasted beer.

Secondly I had a bit of leaking.

Thirdly I can't work out how the pressure etc works. I'm gravity filtering from the fermenter to the keg and I would have expected that would mean that when the filter has the lid upways, the whole filter should fill up before beer starts transferring to the keg, but that's not how it happened. It got about 1/4 full and then started transferring to the keg, as if the middle of the filter acted as a dip tube of sorts. Weird. So I figure I guess you're meant to use the release valve at the top and I did that. What about inverting the filter though? With the four screw holes I thought maybe it's meant to be lid-down so that at least all the liquid has a chance to drain out with less wastage, but that didn't really work either. At the end oxygen was just pumping through and we all know that's no good. In fact when you initially turn the fermenter tap on there's a lot of splashing opportunity too.

All in all I'm realising this is harder than I thought it would be. Messy, time consuming, and I'm unsure of results. It was a stout so I couldn't really tell how well it worked.

G'Day Mark,

Yep use the purge valve to get the filter housing full before connecting to the keg, PITA if you have a housing without it. You should be able to get that 800ml down to ~1-200ml easy enough, elevate the housing above the keg at the end to help suck the last of the beer through the filter.

I use mine with the lid side up from start to finish, so there's no bubbling o2 through the beer, even so the 'air' coming in to the housing from the fermenter at the end is mainly CO2.

I usually fill the housing (with filter in) with a sanstar solution then push it out with CO2 from the bar, leaving it purged of o2 before running the beer in, again to help reduce oxidation.

Not sure what sort of leakage your talking about, but everything should seal up nicely.

I used to find the process a bit fiddly also but now i have a routine i follow with dedicated hoses for the job.

Hopefully you mange to get it sorted on the next run.

Smashin

Cheers Smashing.

I think I was supposed to tighten up the adapter things that the John Guest fittings screw into, I'd only hand tightened them. Some drips were coming out of there.

Also I had it hooked up to the keg from the start which I guess is wrong.

At the end is the beer still meant to somehow push itself up the middle column and into your keg? If so how? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Hey Mark,

I filter by gravity as well.
Without gas pushing the beer out you have to turn the filter upside down after you perge the air out.
Start by not connecting the beer keg (I assume you are running the beer into the out post) and let the beer fill the filter while you keep the air bleeder open. Once full connect to the keg and then turn the filter upside down....It will leave any trapped air up top and will not effect the beer. It will also let the beer run out of the filter housing when complete. You shouldn't lose too much.

I am gravity feeding a double batch into 2 kegs at one time. Only have to watch as they get full as one generally fills faster than the other. One clean filter will handle the double batch, but the beer has been fined with gelitine before filtering.

Using it on a stout is hardly worth it.....as you saw, you can't see anything. I only filter largers and pilsners. All others are fine with gelitine only.

Hope this helps,

mark

Cheers mate, that sounds like very helpful information.

Yeah I only really filtered the stout to test it out. It was my last ever kits + bits beer so I was never going to be upset if something went wrong. Good learning experience.

Using it on a stout is hardly worth it.....as you saw, you can't see anything. I only filter largers and pilsners. All others are fine with gelitine only.

You filter to remove yeast. Yeast in your beer affects aroma & flavour, a stout is as important as any other beer.

cheers Ross

Unfortunately just noticed the filter and housing don't actually match up correctly. The diameter of the male part of the housing and the female part of the filter don't match, resulting in the housing cutting into the filter and creating a new inner ring.

Hopefully it'll still work next time with a liberal application of lubricant but still a bit annoying. I'm assuming everyone else who ordered the filter and housing have the same problem?

A bit confused about this Mark, could you put up a pic. I've now put through my 3rd double batch through the exact same filter and housing, everything looks the same as my now retired setup which i originally purchased through the sponsors some 3 year ago. The housing shouldn't cut into the filter ends, although you may notice a slight indentation from the housing pressing in to make the seal.

Feel free to give me a call, more than happy to help.

Smashin

Unfortunately just noticed the filter and housing don't actually match up correctly. The diameter of the male part of the housing and the female part of the filter don't match, resulting in the housing cutting into the filter and creating a new inner ring.

Hopefully it'll still work next time with a liberal application of lubricant but still a bit annoying. I'm assuming everyone else who ordered the filter and housing have the same problem?

No worries mate I'll take a pic next time I can. Basically the ends of the filter are rubber or whatever and they have a circular groove in them which you no doubt know about. The filter housing doesn't match up with the grooves so it sort of makes its own groove instead, which ends up being a smaller circle. Now because it made it's own groove it's not exactly pretty like the original one, and on one end it looks like it's torn some small holes. When filtering I seemed to have the correct suction so I'm not suggesting the filter didn't work, and I have no way of really knowing for sure with a stout I guess, but longevity of the cartridge wise I'm not thinking it'll last very long.

I'm still happy with everything.

Just used this for the second time.

The filter works like this...

Beer line -> John Guest Adaptes -> Bigger adapter > Filter Housing -> Bigger Adapter -> John Guest Adapter -> Beer line

I can't get a seal between the big adapter and the filter housing. How is it meant to seal? Not sure if I'm missing some rubber seals or if it's meant to seal with the threads. If so do you guys use food grade thread tape or something?

I can use the filter upright regardless but it means I have to hold it and sort of nurse it at the right height when gravity feeding from fermenter to keg. If the filter housing fills up fully it leaks.

The actual filter cartridge and housing are creating a perfect seal despite the damage to the filter cartridge so that's good.

I would love to be able to have this as a sealed unit though so I can mount it upside down.

Can you tell us where you bought your filters and housings from please?

Back